photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2017 5:03 pm  #81

Re: Foolsgrave (development, spoilers)

mabon5127 wrote:

Well done! See you soon!

Can't wait!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/24/2017 5:34 am  #82

Wow, this is an awesome and enormous project! Now to digitize it in GIMP! ;-)

3/24/2017 6:48 am  #83

Thanks man!

First game was Weds night from 930PM-midnight (then Thurs, Fri, Sat 8-12+), with nine people, including ligedog (and his buds Ernesto and Jeff), Cloak n' Dagger, Ancalagon, Josh and three of Handy Haversack's crew (Kevin, Ross and Emily). We had a great time! Moved pretty quickly despite group size. We had some exploration (room with a 12 foot tall iron automaton; soot-filled room with a trapped chest; room that looked like a safe campsite, but had a puzzling "Don't camp here" warning written on the wall; room with some wild boars eating zombies; room with a pentagram and some meat hooks hanging from ceiling - the group then hung the boars from the hooks, which magically created rubies when their blood dripped into the pentagram; several empty rooms), some battles (iron automaton, black robed guy with skull amulet, jeweled snail, wild boars, zombies) and two deaths (Jeff cleaved in two by an iron automaton; Ernesto incinerated by the trapped chest that exploded), treasure (gold, gems, skull amulet). Ross picked Ernesto's pocket as Ernesto was leaning over to open the trapped chest. Later, Ross also resorted to spanking the pigs. Lots of beer, laughs and fun!  :D

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/Chainsaw78/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1344_zpse15hpsvp.jpg

3/24/2017 7:41 am  #84

Chainsaw wrote:

Thanks man!

"Don't camp here"

"spanking the pigs. Lots of beer, laughs and fun! :D"

That is all I require at my gaming table. Nice work. Wish I were there to enjoy it with you all.

3/24/2017 8:30 am  #85

The more I go back and look through this whole thread, the more impressed I am by it. Great work with the dungeon dressing and maps. If I find some time, I may try and reproduce the maps in GIMP. If I do, I'll happily send you the files. Makes them more immortal and portable. I did this for a hand drawn map I made a few years ago and then took it to FedEx-Kinkos and had it printed. If I can find the file, I'll post it here.

3/24/2017 9:46 am  #86

Druvas wrote:

The more I go back and look through this whole thread, the more impressed I am by it. Great work with the dungeon dressing and maps.

Thanks again, man!

Druvas wrote:

If I find some time, I may try and reproduce the maps in GIMP. If I do, I'll happily send you the files. Makes them more immortal and portable. I did this for a hand drawn map I made a few years ago and then took it to FedEx-Kinkos and had it printed. If I can find the file, I'll post it here.

That would be really cool. As I keyed the first level, I ended up changing little things here and there. Give me a few weeks, when I get back from Gary Con, I'll post an update Level 1 of the individual maps and the combination map. 

3/24/2017 10:52 am  #87

Second expedition took place from 9PM-130AM last night, with JoeMac (assassin), his two friends Dave (warlock) and Dave (ranger), and Josh (playing his same necromancer from Weds night). These guys really kicked ass! Smaller group than Weds, and very efficient (despite much liquor!). They explored maybe two dozen rooms, avoiding/fleeing several wandering monster encounters along the way (yellow moths, metal monitoring sphere, green slime, evil adventuring party, Thaumagorgan cultists, giant vampire bats), found two chests of gold and ultimately made their way into the overgrown tunnels to the north, where they killed the damn shambling mound that guards the portal to the insectoid dimension! I rolled for crap for the mound's hit points (21/80 possible), then lost initiative almost every time, whereas Dave's warlock rolled two natural 20s, Dave's ranger had a few arrow hits, JoeMac's assassin had two backstabs and Josh's necromancer's skeletons had a couple hits. Of course, the best part was warlock Dave mocking JoeMac and ranger Dave the whole time for not doing as much damage. Might have been the booze talking! Hahaha!

They recovered about 4,000GP worth of loot and 2,000XP. Pretty badass for three Level 1 and one Level 2 adventurers! I totally keyed that room with a "too tough" monster thinking it would slaughter whoever found it. Never know what can happen! 

Sadly, no pics. Too engrossed in drinking and throwing dice.

3/24/2017 1:10 pm  #88

Chainsaw wrote:

Druvas wrote:

The more I go back and look through this whole thread, the more impressed I am by it. Great work with the dungeon dressing and maps.

Thanks again, man!

Druvas wrote:

If I find some time, I may try and reproduce the maps in GIMP. If I do, I'll happily send you the files. Makes them more immortal and portable. I did this for a hand drawn map I made a few years ago and then took it to FedEx-Kinkos and had it printed. If I can find the file, I'll post it here.

That would be really cool. As I keyed the first level, I ended up changing little things here and there. Give me a few weeks, when I get back from Gary Con, I'll post an update Level 1 of the individual maps and the combination map.

Sounds good to me. This should be a good, challenging mapping for me in GIMP. I haven't done any maps in a while and need to stay sharp!

3/26/2017 9:45 am  #89

Quick recaps from Friday and Saturday night...

Friday night, ligedog, Ernesto, gizmo, Jeff, Josh, Del and francisca played from 830PM-130AM, with Ernesto again quickly setting the tone by barrelling through a door and into room with 24 big-handed zombies that pummeled him dead in one round (everyone else watched from the hall, laughed, shut the door and left!). They soon found three adjacent teleportation rooms: one returned Josh to the entrance, one sent them all into the 24 zombie room (luckily they pushed through the corpses, fleeing unharmed) and one teleported them onto the meathooks in the pentagram room (their draining blood created some valuable rubies). They happened upon a walking treasure chest, but it fled after too much damage and was too fast for even ligedog's barbarian. We ended in a high note, with Ernesto defacing a demonic idol, which invoked a powerful demon with two pincers, two claws, a wolf head and a tentacle zapper - it slaughtered Ernesto, gizmo and francisca almost immediately - everyone else fled back to the surface, happy for the bigger shares. 

Saturday night, Noah, Noah's Son, Kevin, Kevin's Son, grodog, Guy, Scott and Tom, all new to the dungeon, played from 830PM-1AM. Lots of carnage (Guy 1 sundered in two by the iron statue [-24 HP]; Guy 2 and Tom 1 obliterated by a floating metal monitoring sphere's green energy ray [Mike's berserker killed it, grodog found some crystals inside]; grodog's skeletal servants Guy 1 and Jeff 1 incinerated by trapped chests) and a couple fun rooms (they found the teleportation rooms [ended up on the meat hooks over the pentagram, but got the rubies]; a room with a multi-faced floating object asking them "GUILTY or INNOCENT?" [scared, they left]). They also found gold in two chests (killed some dark blue giant beetles guarding one), destroyed a walking treasure chest (lots of gold inside!) and found two potion bottles (one filled with white mist, the other heart-shaped with red liquid). Again, finished on a high note, with Kevin topside in the Laughing Skull tavern, opening the mist-filled bottle - a ghost emerged and the patrons all fled in terror! 

3/26/2017 10:33 am  #90

Again, thanks to everyone (23!) who volunteered to explore Foolsgrave. You gave me a ton of great ideas to improve the content and presentation. Should be even better next year! Remember, if you lived, keep your character sheet (and any maps). We'll pick up next March, so long as the NTRPG crew doesn't take everything that's left. 

3/26/2017 12:45 pm  #91

24 "Big-handed Zombies".

Undead circle jerk? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/nerdy.png

3/26/2017 1:16 pm  #92

Druvas wrote:

24 "Big-handed Zombies".

Undead circle jerk? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/nerdy.png

Haha! Yeah, during one encounter Weds night, I think a zombie punched someone for a bunch of damage, over-dramatically described as "a big zombie hand knocks your guy in the face!" Well, that led "So they all have over-sized hands?", which stuck of course. From then on, people were getting teeth slapped out by big-handed zombies!

3/27/2017 8:35 am  #93

Awesome time playing in "Foolsgrave" on Friday. My ineffective listening led directly to Ernesto's death at the Big Hands of those zombies. Great stuff cant wait for next year.

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

3/31/2017 4:01 pm  #94

mavfire wrote:

Awesome time playing in "Foolsgrave" on Friday. My ineffective listening led directly to Ernesto's death at the Big Hands of those zombies. Great stuff cant wait for next year.

Thanks for playing, Del! Pleasure's all mine. I hope you can find time to play next year, when this dungeon will be even more fun and more Hyperborean. I already have a ton of new ideas for content and presentation. Make sure to save your character sheet!

Here are some pics Ernesto took that Friday evening, after we drank all of gizmo's bourbon. If only I had a third hand to show some metal horns! 

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/Chainsaw78/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4795_zpsr64ljacm.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/Chainsaw78/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4796_zpsa7tbch2w.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/Chainsaw78/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4800_zpsjm5jr5xi.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af303/Chainsaw78/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4797_zps7arlbwwi.jpg

4/13/2017 7:40 am  #95

You've inspired me to develop my own mega-dungeon in Hyperboria. I was listening to Bran Mak Morn, Worms of the Earth on audiobook the other day and the name hit me. Dagon's Barrow. And since my players are on the coast of Dagon Bay now, it's apropos. Rather than flood your thread with stuff, I'll start my own though! :-)

4/13/2017 8:08 am  #96

Druvas wrote:

You've inspired me to develop my own mega-dungeon in Hyperboria. I was listening to Bran Mak Morn, Worms of the Earth on audiobook the other day and the name hit me. Dagon's Barrow. And since my players are on the coast of Dagon Bay now, it's apropos.

Sweet - and great name!

With my efforts, the first step was the toughest, so my initial advice would be not to get too bogged down thinking about the possible enormity of the project, like "ZOMG, I have to do 13 levels of nine pages each and it needs this overarching 10k word ancient history background and five dozen factions all logically coexisting and every room's unique and fascinating and..." Just start mapping! When you get tired, put it down for a bit.

Also, start an email chain to yourself and every time you get a room idea, email it to yourself. When you feel like keying some rooms, browse the list. Don't try to write-up every room like it's going to be published. Just enough to jog your memory.

You may find this Foolsgrave thread at K&KA interesting, where I ask a lot of questions and get a lot of answers, all in a practical, play-driven context (i.e., not as a thought experiment or academic exercise or something).

Druvas wrote:

Rather than flood your thread with stuff, I'll start my own though! :-)

Looking forward to seeing it develop!

4/13/2017 9:01 am  #97

Chainsaw wrote:

Also, start an email chain to yourself and every time you get a room idea, email it to yourself. When you feel like keying some rooms, browse the list. Don't try to write-up every room like it's going to be published. Just enough to jog your memory.

I do this with gaming ideas constantly. Works really well.

4/13/2017 7:30 pm  #98

Handy Haversack wrote:

I do this with gaming ideas constantly. Works really well.

+1. I've actually taken to putting all of my ideas that I want and/or email myself into a master OneNote page. While running a campaign, I actually write out each session on a new OneNote page, along with necessary tables, screenshots, etc. I then have each session archived as a subpage.

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.