!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2017 8:27 am  #141

Re: Gary Con IX (2017)

Chainsaw wrote:

Spellcasters, in their spellbooks, automatically receive Detect Magic, roll randomly for two more Level 1 spells and then pick two more Level 1 spells. Your spellbook should then have a total of five spells. Per the rules, you can memorize one per day (maybe two if your intelligence is high enough). Also, you will start with three scrolls: two for spells selected from your Level 1 spellbook and one for a spell selected from the Level 2 spell list. This means every spellcaster starts with a minimum of four castable spells (probably five).

I am in a frenzy to get my spell casters ready. See you all there.  

3/21/2017 5:24 pm  #142

I wanna hop in the car and GO NOW.

3/22/2017 5:05 pm  #143

En route, arriving 715PM. Pumped to run an off-grid, megadungeon bloodbath for Cloak n' Dagger, Ancalagon, Monkeydono and a few others tonight. If you see us, stop and say hi!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/23/2017 12:43 pm  #144

Some pics...

My Foolsgrave game Weds night, clockwise from me standing: Jeff, Ernesto (not visible), ligedog (not visible), Kevin, Ross, Emily, Ancalagon, Cloak n' Dagger (away from seat), Josh

Breakfast this morning, clockwise: me, Ghul, Ancalagon, ligedog, Cloak n' Dagger

Registration

Tacojohn at Blade Blade booth

Ghul at the Hyperborea booth

Ghul and Tenkar

DSL, Darlene

Elmore

Paul Stormberg's game

Welleran's game, beginning with him standing, clockwise: ?, ?, Brian, Guy Fulleron, Josh, Wheggi, ?

Cloak n' Dagger's game

Ancalagon's game

Bryan Skowera's game

ligedog's game

Handy Haversack's game

Tom Wham's game (left)

Jim Wampler's game

Jon Peterson (left) and grodog (right) plotting world domination

diaglo (left) and gizmomathboy (right) counter-plotting world domination

Handy Haversack's crew studying hotel map, from left: Ross, Manny, Kevin, Handy

3/23/2017 4:19 pm  #145

Just wanted to drop in and apologize to everyone for having to cancel my game today (Thursday).  I had to leave the convention to deal with a water leak here at home.  Still waiting on a plumber at this time, as it was more than I could deal with myself.  I'm hoping to get back there tonight or tomorrow morning in advance of my noon game tomorrow.

3/24/2017 7:10 pm  #146

francisca wrote:

Just wanted to drop in and apologize to everyone for having to cancel my game today (Thursday).  I had to leave the convention to deal with a water leak here at home.  Still waiting on a plumber at this time, as it was more than I could deal with myself.  I'm hoping to get back there tonight or tomorrow morning in advance of my noon game tomorrow.

Man, that sucks Rich! Hope it all works out OK.

3/24/2017 7:13 pm  #147

So... how did Crash at Corpse Creek go?

Thurs crew - neutralized enemies with surgical precision, found missing trappers, gained treasure!

Friday crew - wreaked havoc by intentionally unleashing cosmic evil upon Hyperborea, laughing all the way!

3/25/2017 5:34 am  #148

Great pics! Getting more and more jealous by the minute. Not that you need to be told, clearly, but have a great time!

3/26/2017 8:43 am  #149

grodog's game

Ghul and Del

gizmomathboy running Circus Maximus

Ancalagon's game

Jeff and Ernesto

tacojohn's game, from John, clockwise:?, ?, ligedog, Josh, ?, ?, Jeff, ?

3/27/2017 8:26 am  #150

Awesome pics Chainsaw....very fun con!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

3/27/2017 6:01 pm  #151

Agreed!  Great Pics for a fun convention.  I had very creative and engaged players for my events.  This will go down as one of the best cone experiences ever!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/27/2017 9:10 pm  #152

Gary Con recap:

- I had a great time, as usual! Terrific seeing everyone. Too many names to mention, but really made me wish we all lived closer.
- Hotel was nice and clean, staff friendly and food pretty good especially considering the volume of people they served almost around the clock. Heard 1,750 total attendees this year.
- Some event rooms seemed a little crowded/hot/noisy depending on time and day, but I'm not sure that's avoidable. Nature of the beast at most conventions, I think. Logistics seemed fairly well executed overall. No mix-ups or issues on site for me or that I heard of (lost events, registrations, etc).
- The suite francisca and I rented fit two rectangular banquet tables well (seated 8-9 comfortably and had extra stools by the minibar). I have already reserved another one for next year. Can't be beat for off-grid games during the busy hours. Special thanks to francisca for hauling up his table and chairs! I owe him big time.
- I ran seven games this year, which I may end up doing again next year, even though it felt a bit exhausting at the time, because I did have fun. Plus, it should be less prep work because I'll be running the same things next year. Here are my game recaps, for those that like them, but these do contain spoilers.

Weds evening (930PM-midnight) Foolsgrave off-grid with ligedog (and his buds Ernesto and Jeff), Cloak n' Dagger, Ancalagon, Josh and three of Handy Haversack's crew (Kevin, Ross and Emily). We had a great time! Moved pretty quickly despite group size. We had some exploration (room with a 12 foot tall iron automaton; soot-filled room with a trapped chest; room that looked like a safe campsite, but had a puzzling "Don't camp here" warning written on the wall; room with some wild boars eating zombies; room with a pentagram and some meat hooks hanging from ceiling - the group then hung the boars from the hooks, which magically created rubies when their blood dripped into the pentagram; several empty rooms), some battles (iron automaton, black robed guy with skull amulet, jeweled snail, wild boars, zombies) and two deaths (Jeff cleaved in two by an iron automaton; Ernesto incinerated by the trapped chest that exploded), treasure (gold, gems, skull amulet). Ross picked Ernesto's pocket as Ernesto was leaning over to open the trapped chest. Later, Ross also resorted to "spanking the pigs." Lots of beer, laughs and fun!  :D

Thurs afternoon (2PM-6PM) Crash at Corpse Creek with BigPerm, djcheshirecat, Ross, Bracton, stratochamp, Noah, Patrick and Patrick's son. This group operated like a SEAL team in Corpse Creek's very first running! They slayed a 20' praying mantis, stole a hydra's treasure right out from under its nose, used a Fly spell to find the crashed object (a giant space bug), ensorcelled my monstrous "kidnapper" centipede (underbelly exoskeleton opens up to store victims for slow digestion), fended off the yellow moths (that shoot concentrated yellow), disarmed the bug swarm trap, rescued the surviving trapper (and killed his spore-man cell mate), then used Sorcerer Eye to gain valuable intel and Fireball and strategic attacks to kill the sorcerer and his mutant bugs in like one round. Pretty awesome textbook case of patiently gathering info, developing a plan, getting the treasure and saving the day to make Hyperborea a better place. Nice work!

Thursday night (930PM-130AM) Foolsgrave off-grid with JoeMac (assassin), his two friends Dave (warlock) and Dave (ranger), and Josh (playing his same necromancer from Weds night). These guys really kicked ass! Smaller group than Weds, and very efficient (despite much liquor!). They explored maybe two dozen rooms, avoiding/fleeing several wandering monster encounters along the way (yellow moths, metal monitoring sphere, green slime, evil adventuring party, Thaumagorgan cultists, giant vampire bats), found two chests of gold and ultimately made their way into the overgrown tunnels to the north, where they killed the damn shambling mound that guards the portal to the insectoid dimension! I rolled for crap for the mound's hit points (21/80 possible), then lost initiative almost every time, whereas Dave's warlock rolled two natural 20s, Dave's ranger had a few arrow hits, JoeMac's assassin had two backstabs and Josh's necromancer's skeletons had a couple hits. Of course, the best part was warlock Dave mocking JoeMac and ranger Dave the whole time for not doing as much damage. Might have been the booze talking! They recovered about 4,000GP worth of loot and 2,000XP. Pretty badass for three Level 1 and one Level 2 adventurers! I totally keyed that room with a "too tough" monster thinking it would slaughter whoever found it. Never know what can happen!  :D

Fri afternoon (2PM-6PM) Crash at Corpse Creek with Guy Fullerton, Josh, Dennis and Dan (from Ghul's home group), Paul and Eric. This group brought a different mojo than the Thursday group, LoL! Although they killed the giant mantis, snuck into the gargantuan space bug corpse, found the sorcerer's inner sanctum and took him out, when they recovered the Spawn of Yog, the adventure didn't end. They decided to see if they could use it to turn the space bug into a gargantuan, hill-sized slime. And they did. And then this enormous, 250 tall x 500 long slime slithered off into Corpse Creek to make Hyperborea a worse place. We all had a good laugh! It actually felt more like a CAS or HPL ending than anything I've ever run. Good work!   :mrgreen:

Fri night (830PM-130PM) Foolsgrave off-grid with ligedog, Ernesto, gizmo, Jeff, Josh, Del and francisca played from 830PM-130AM, with Ernesto again quickly setting the tone by barrelling through a door and into room with 24 big-handed zombies that pummeled him dead in one round (everyone else watched from the hall, laughed, shut the door and left!). They soon found three adjacent teleportation rooms: one returned Josh to the entrance, one sent them all into the 24 zombie room (luckily they pushed through the corpses, fleeing unharmed) and one teleported them onto the meathooks in the pentagram room (their draining blood created some valuable rubies). They happened upon a walking treasure chest, but it fled after too much damage and was too fast for even ligedog's barbarian. We ended in a high note, with Ernesto defacing a demonic idol, which invoked a powerful demon with two pincers, two claws, a wolf head and a tentacle zapper - it slaughtered Ernesto, gizmo and francisca almost immediately - everyone else fled back to the surface, happy for the bigger shares.

Sat morning (10AM-2PM) Strange Tale of Crystal Point with Ernesto, mrmanowar, Welleran, Brian (Welleran's bro), Dex and Scott (from Welleran's home group) and Emily. This game marked the tenth time I've run this adventure and I have to say this group did really well. They explored the sea caves and defeated the mutant sorcerer (though first Emily became enthralled with his crab-slug idol-sculpture, which Cory's pyromancer burned up to free her) and his mutant barnacle-crab-men henchmen (which nearly sliced Dex's laser pistol wielding fighter to ribbons), recovering the Black Claw of Chalak (which made poor Scott's features wither and sink, and his mouth reform into a crab-mandible). From there, they destroyed my giant four-clawed crab (Emily and Scott's casting ice storm and lightning), gathered its valuable magical eggs and hiked to the cliff top. They then descended an old silo shaft, found a damaged reactor control room and... then it was time to go. Too bad we didn't have more time. Still, they did slay both the sorcerer and also the giant four-clawed crab, which no other group has done. Congrats!

Sat night (830PM-1230AM) Foolsgrave with Noah, Noah's Son, Kevin, Kevin's Son, grodog, Guy, Scott and Tom, all new to the dungeon, played from 830PM-1AM. Lots of carnage (Guy 1 sundered in two by the iron statue [-24 HP]; Guy 2 and Tom 1 obliterated by a floating metal monitoring sphere's green energy ray [Mike's berserker killed it, grodog found some crystals inside]; grodog's skeletal servants Guy 1 and Jeff 1 incinerated by trapped chests) and a couple fun rooms (they found the teleportation rooms [ended up on the meat hooks over the pentagram, but got the rubies]; a room with a multi-faced floating object asking them "GUILTY or INNOCENT?" [scared, they left]). They also found gold in two chests (killed some dark blue giant beetles guarding one), destroyed a walking treasure chest (lots of gold inside!) and found two potion bottles (one filled with white mist, the other heart-shaped with red liquid). Again, finished on a high note, with Kevin topside in the Laughing Skull tavern, opening the mist-filled bottle - a ghost emerged and the patrons all fled in terror!

3/27/2017 9:28 pm  #153

You are like a machine!  Well done!

While in my soul forever

3/27/2017 9:31 pm  #154

mabon5127 wrote:

You are like a machine!  Well done!

Ha! I still failed to get pictures of your or Jeff's games. Argh!

3/28/2017 9:36 am  #155

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

You are like a machine! Well done!

Ha! I still failed to get pictures of your or Jeff's games. Argh!

I failed to get pics of my games and I was there!! Arrgh.  This was a great GC for ASSH!  With the second edition out by next March and being the 10th anniversary we should shoot for doubling the number of games....you could do 14!

Morgan

While in my soul forever

3/28/2017 9:56 am  #156

mabon5127 wrote:

This was a great GC for ASSH! With the second edition out by next March and being the 10th anniversary we should shoot for doubling the number of games.

I agree! Lots of the menu for folks with 23 games. I think we will have even more next year!

mabon5127 wrote:

....you could do 14!

Ha ha ha! I plan to try for a repeat of seven (probably four on-grid, maybe more), but 14 might kill me!

3/28/2017 10:11 am  #157

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

This was a great GC for ASSH! With the second edition out by next March and being the 10th anniversary we should shoot for doubling the number of games.

I agree! Lots of the menu for folks with 23 games. I think as will have even more next year!

mabon5127 wrote:

....you could do 14!

Ha ha ha! I plan to try for a repeat of seven (probably four on-grid, maybe more), but 14 might kill me!

Interestingly mine were all filled and the pics you supplied seemed to be of full games.  Jeff had full games. We could do at least 50% more and still have full games, I believe.  Had I done seven games I would have literally died somewhere over Ice Lake in game 6.......

While in my soul forever

3/28/2017 10:31 am  #158

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

I agree! Lots of the menu for folks with 23 games. I think as will have even more next year!

mabon5127 wrote:

....you could do 14!

Interestingly mine were all filled and the pics you supplied seemed to be of full games.  Jeff had full games. We could do at least 50% more and still have full games, I believe.  Had I done seven games I would have literally died somewhere over Ice Lake in game 6.......

I had full games too - I could do one or two more next year.  I think I'd fail the Test of Constitution too if I did 7!

3/28/2017 10:44 am  #159

I heard great things about all of your games, as usual!

3/28/2017 11:38 am  #160

Nice pix and recaps, Chain!

My games were all full in theory, but Sunday took its toll on actual attendance. I ended up with three TPKs in two games! It's a dangerous world.

I played in AS&SH games from Ghul, Mabon, and Lige, and it was the best. I had a great time with you all, and so did my crew. Wish I'd been able to get there in time for your Wed. night game, Chainsaw! Freakin' Laguardia. But it was great to see you all. That's becoming a really important part of GaryCon for me.

However. Credit where credit is due: All hail Grodog, winner of GaryCon IX! He TPKed us at 4 AM Monday morning. My 8th level MU was about 5' from escaping to tell the tale. Serves me right for trying to help the group.

I think this is two years in a row for Grodog since he was in the boat with me and Welleran when we were the only ones who escaped from Francisca's lobster-clams last year. Will his streak reach three? Be there next year to find out!

It was a great game and a perfect way to cap off the con. Ave Grodog, imperator!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.