!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2017 6:17 pm  #1

Protecting the 1e Manuals?

Has anyone tried protecting the covers of their 1e manuals? Say with sticky plastic, lamination, etc.? I tried casting "Sorcerous Armor", but apparently I'm not even a 0-level sorcerer. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/11/2017 6:48 pm  #2

Re: Protecting the 1e Manuals?

I printed out play copies from the pdf's and had them spiral-bound at Staples (as a bonus, they're larger and easier to read).  No one else is laying a finger on any part of my boxed set.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/12/2017 5:58 am  #3

Clone spell, I see...that's one option. 

Since I bought extra Player's Manuals for my group I'm looking to shield them from the usual gaming hazards, while also keeping the overall cost down.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

2/12/2017 1:39 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

I printed out play copies from the pdf's and had them spiral-bound at Staples (as a bonus, they're larger and easier to read).  No one else is laying a finger on any part of my boxed set.

Ditto.  If they get beat up a little then so be it.  I have couple extra PHB's at the table as well.  As was pointed out i can read them without specs so win!

The 2nd ed will get some special treatment like a wrapping it in the skin of a shaved yeti.....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/12/2017 2:35 pm  #5

Did the same thing. Printed a copy (double sided, of course) and 3-hole punched it. It makes a decent reference copy.

2/12/2017 11:12 pm  #6

I printed copies, too.  Only mentioning because I had mine comb-bound instead of spiral or three-hole.

2/13/2017 4:15 am  #7

Thank you all: it looks like I'll have to do some experimentation, on my spare copy of the Player's Manual. 

2/13/2017 9:26 am  #8

I also printed my copy out and did a sort of perfect binding

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ntd7kyfef2bual/PhotoGrid_1408631613233.png?dl=0

Obviously the book on the right is ASSH, The Players Manual.

I can't seem to find a picture of The Referees Manual.

What? Me worry?

2/13/2017 9:30 am  #9

Of course, I dig a little deeper and find a picture. I had Ghul sign them at Gary Con VII if I recall correctly.

What? Me worry?

2/13/2017 2:48 pm  #10

Very nice!

2/13/2017 10:05 pm  #11

printed mine at actual size on letter sized paper, so I have room in the margins to make notes.  The 3-hole punched and us screw posts to bind the books in hard covers.

2/14/2017 7:13 am  #12

My personal copies have taken a beating. This thread reminds me that I should probably make a set that I place an bubblewrap and keep for myself. I'll put it in the same box with my one remaining Upper Works set.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/14/2017 2:59 pm  #13

I have a boxed set still in bubble wrap for posterity. Ghul actually e-mailed when he received the order to make sure I understood I already had one. I think this was after first seeing me drink.

My two play copies of the manual seem to be holding up just fine, honestly.

2/14/2017 3:22 pm  #14

Handy Haversack wrote:

I have a boxed set still in bubble wrap for posterity. Ghul actually e-mailed when he received the order to make sure I understood I already had one. I think this was after first seeing me drink.

My two play copies of the manual seem to be holding up just fine, honestly.

And after 2ndly seeing you drink did he offer to sell you another box set? 
Mine are holding up just fine too, but we took a brief hiatus and with new sessions in front of me I'm just trying to avert disaster. Before it happens, since I usually think of it 2 seconds after it happens...

2/15/2017 2:57 pm  #15

Printed out the PDF and had it all hard-bound into one big volume (a perk of living in a University town).  I reckon the cover is about AC3; it's held-up well to a lot of play and referencing...

2/15/2017 4:43 pm  #16

I mean this in the kindliest way, but all of your solutions involve printing additional copies, when I already have copies...

2/15/2017 7:57 pm  #17

Hmmm... I would probably unwind the entire book, laminate the front/rear covers at a copy shop, use an X-ACTO knife to cut away the excess covering the holes and then wind the spiral back up through the pages/covers. Yes, it would be kind of a pain in the ass, but it might work OK. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/16/2017 4:46 am  #18

Chainsaw wrote:

Hmmm... I would probably unwind the entire book, laminate the front/rear covers at a copy shop, use an X-ACTO knife to cut away the excess covering the holes and then wind the spiral back up through the pages/covers. Yes, it would be kind of a pain in the ass, but it might work OK.

Exactly...though my indolence might involve precision-cutting sticky-backed laminate and then applying without unwinding the coil. But cheers, you get a virtual beverage of your choice!

2/16/2017 8:37 am  #19

rhialto wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Exactly...though my indolence might involve precision-cutting sticky-backed laminate and then applying without unwinding the coil. But cheers, you get a virtual beverage of your choice!

Thanks! I'm already catching a virtual buzz, as my choice was a high-octane imperial stout. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/16/2017 8:24 pm  #20

Chainsaw wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Thanks! I'm already catching a virtual buzz, as my choice was a high-octane imperial stout.

It's the right time of year for it: try some Wake Up Dead from Left Hand or Sunday Mole from Weyerbacher.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.