!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2017 7:49 am  #1

Mark Schultz

Received these beautiful books right before Christmas. Very, very nice! So much of Schultz's art feels like Hyperborea to me. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/04/2017 10:02 am  #2

Re: Mark Schultz

I indulged as well and they are definitely a beautiful set! As you say they capture the spirit well!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/04/2017 9:20 pm  #3

He's simply the best there is, IMO. Love his work. I have since the early 90s, when I first discovered Xenozoic Tales. If you don't believe, I have photographic evidence. Here I am, circa 1993, wearing my Xenozoic Tales shirt:

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/05/2017 7:21 am  #4

Cool, man! What's that stuff on top of your head? 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/05/2017 1:05 pm  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Hahahahaha!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/06/2017 11:46 am  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Hahahahaha!

It's a tentacular horror! GET IT!

That stuff is really cool. Thanks for posting it.

2/06/2017 12:19 pm  #7

Great art!  I may need those books.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/11/2017 6:49 pm  #8

Got these both from ebay.  Fantastic!  Now I have the first volume of Carbon on order as well.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/13/2017 4:51 pm  #9

Gods! They are phenomenal.

2/13/2017 7:00 pm  #10

Very nice Chains Thanks for sharing... I agree that his stuff is very Hyperborea in feel. I love the atmosphere he creates with his pieces. I'll have to check out the books myself now. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/15/2017 11:58 am  #11

I got the first volume of Carbon as well - great stuff!  I think maybe I like it even better than the second volume.  Storms at Sea is my favorite of the three though - good neo-pulp story and fantastic illustrations.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/08/2019 9:50 am  #12

Beautiful stuff! This is why I wished for more dinosaurs in the ASSH rules. 

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/08/2019 7:25 pm  #13

revshafer wrote:

Beautiful stuff! This is why I wished for more dinosaurs in the ASSH rules. 

Have you checked out our module, The Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess? The main adventure takes place on a dinosaur-infested lost island. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/12/2019 8:12 am  #14

Yup! Figure that dinosaurs fit a lost island, but Hyperborea itself is too cold for them.

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/14/2019 2:20 pm  #15

revshafer wrote:

Yup! Figure that dinosaurs fit a lost island, but Hyperborea itself is too cold for them.

Volcanic activity?

11/14/2019 2:21 pm  #16

Don’t want to turn the heat up in the tub that much. 

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/14/2019 3:19 pm  #17

revshafer wrote:

Don’t want to turn the heat up in the tub that much. 

One semi-active volcano and some localized geothermal influence shouldn't disrupt the overall balance much if at all, while creating the potential for a "lost world" area. 

11/14/2019 3:23 pm  #18

Beautiful Stuff....

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

11/14/2019 8:42 pm  #19

Remember that Hyperborea's biggest inspiration is Weird Fiction.

You can probably do just about anything and not "break" things. The damn world is a flat plate for all intents and purposes. I think creating some weird, outlandish reason to have a lost world tucked away somewhere (hollow earth?) is well within what is "allowed".

Your game, your world, your rules.

What? Me worry?

12/04/2019 5:02 pm  #20

Here is a quoted section from Jewels of Gwahlur, I think this paints what could be a lost world within Hyperborea...

It was like looking into the interior of a vast bowl, rimmed by a circular stone wall. The floor of the bowl was covered with trees and denser vegetation, though nowhere did the growth duplicate the jungle denseness of the outer forest. The cliffs marched around it without a break and of uniform height. It was a freak of nature, not to be paralleled, perhaps, in the whole world: a vast natural amphitheater, a circular bit of forested plain, three or four miles in diameter, cut off from the rest of the world, and confined within the ring of those palisaded cliffs.

But the man on the cliffs did not devote his thoughts to marveling at the topographical phenomenon. With tense eagerness he searched the tree-tops below him, and exhaled a gusty sigh when he caught the glint of marble domes amidst the twinkling green. It was no myth, then; below him lay the fabulous and deserted palace of Alkmeenon.

Last edited by mavfire (12/04/2019 5:03 pm)

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.