!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2017 1:04 am  #1

Random Encounter Tables?

I'll be starting up an AS&SH campaign in a month and was wondering if anyone has a line on random encounter tables centered on AS&SH.  I notice the set doesn't have any and I could always either come up with my own or use the 1E AD&D tables, but I thought I'd check and see first if there were anything released as a DL.
-SJ

Last edited by SmokestackJones (1/21/2017 1:05 am)

1/21/2017 8:46 am  #2

Re: Random Encounter Tables?

Hi Smokestack! The Referee's Manual has an alphabetical list of monsters by area types on pages 112-117. If I wanted Dungeon/Subterranean, I'd break that area list down into hit die groups using Blackadder23's monster list by hit die, then roll depending on what level I needed. For example, you could construct a simple list of ten Level 1s that you like and roll a d10 or, for more challenge variety, maybe drop a Level Two in for slots 8/9 and a Level Three in for slot 10. Most of the time you'd get a "level appropriate" encounter, but once in a while, you'd get something more challenging that might require running away instead of fighting.

Hope that helps and also hope to hear about your campaign in our Campaign forum, whether it's a written or YouTube recap. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/21/2017 9:37 am  #3

From the depths of the Black Gulf, your cries have been heard! Random encounter tables for both wilderness encounters and dungeon levels will be included as appendices in the Second Edition hardback.

1/21/2017 9:41 am  #4

DMPrata wrote:

From the depths of the Black Gulf, your cries have been heard! Random encounter tables for both wilderness encounters and dungeon levels will be included as appendices in the Second Edition hardback.

Well thanks, that's mighty nice of you.  Now I'm looking forward even more to this release!

-SJ

1/21/2017 9:46 am  #5

Thanks David!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.