!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2018 2:05 pm  #1

Ascending AC against Descending AC

In my group we switched to Ascending AC, and they we turned it into an "Defensive Bonification"... We roll our DB+1d20 against the attack roll. Any words of counseling?

9/26/2018 3:08 pm  #2

Re: Ascending AC against Descending AC

ALCAVDON wrote:

In my group we switched to Ascending AC, and they we turned it into an "Defensive Bonification"... We roll our DB+1d20 against the attack roll. Any words of counseling?

Switch back.

9/26/2018 3:14 pm  #3

ALCAVDON wrote:

Oh, God!

9/26/2018 6:12 pm  #4

ALCAVDON wrote:

Nothing to offer from me, unfortunately. Some people have said ascending is a good system, but I'm so used to descending, because I learned that way originally, that it's never been appealing to me to change my games. Descending is too ingrained my in brain. Sorry!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/26/2018 6:26 pm  #5

Lots of Corruption on the board today.

9/27/2018 10:26 am  #6

Iron Ranger wrote:

ALCAVDON wrote:

Switch back.

x1000.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/27/2018 10:39 am  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

ALCAVDON wrote:

Switch back.

x1000.

X2000

9/28/2018 1:48 pm  #8

Iron Ranger wrote:

ALCAVDON wrote:

Switch back.

9/28/2018 2:23 pm  #9

AKA

Iron "Switch Back" Ranger

9/28/2018 2:40 pm  #10

achiriaco wrote:

AKA

Iron "Switch Back" Ranger

HAHAHAHAHA!  Love it!

9/28/2018 5:58 pm  #11

I guess trying ascending armor class is like going through an "experimental phase" in high school or college.  It seems like "everyone's doing it," but in the end it's hot hip or cool, just misguided....Your
to hit tables work just as well and platemail was never meant to be AC 17, just accept it.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

9/29/2018 12:16 pm  #12

Use this chart. It works great!!!

9/29/2018 6:10 pm  #13

I hate looking stuff up on charts. Luckily, the numbers are aligned for doing it Target20 style, which can be done in the GM's head in no time.

9/29/2018 6:50 pm  #14

This game, like The One before it, is built on looking stuff up on charts.

Muscle through, man!  

9/29/2018 6:54 pm  #15

Iron Ranger wrote:

This game, like The One before it, is built on looking stuff up on charts.

Muscle through, man!  

Agreed. This game is not for the meek!

Iron "Muscle through" Ranger

9/29/2018 10:07 pm  #16

I hate looking up stuff on charts too. It's probably blasphemy, but I stick by a houserule system with descending AC for the mobs (that is subtracted from the player's too hit roll) and ascending AC for the players that is added to their defense roll. I prefer players to roll all dice in combat. Keeps everyone engaged, frees me to concentrate on mob tactics, and players own their rolls.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/30/2018 3:47 am  #17

The way I see it, only those need the "cheat sheets" who can't do the calculations in their head. Take that, chart-lovers

9/30/2018 4:44 am  #18

The great thing is one does not need the chart with descending AC. There is the classic method of d20 roll + FA + target AC. If it comes to 20 or more, it’s a hit.

10/02/2018 11:39 am  #19

Alright, pals, thank you for all the lols.. I have to say we got stuck on Palladium Books combat system since we played Rofts for almost ten years. It was very hard for most of my group going back to Descending AC. I'll keep this system in order to see how to make their thick skulls to get in to the idea.

10/02/2018 11:42 am  #20

ALCAVDON wrote:

Alright, pals, thank you for all the lols.. I have to say we got stuck on Palladium Books combat system since we played Rofts for almost ten years. It was very hard for most of my group going back to Descending AC. I'll keep this system in order to see how to make their thick skulls to get in to the idea.

Hmmm. Not sure how to decipher your message... But if you are saying you surrender and are going to use AC as it should be used... Then,  give yourself 100 XP.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.