!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2018 5:20 pm  #1

AS&SH Engine in Zothique

Rappan Athuk: Hyperborea didn't really take off, sad to say. I am (re)reading the Zothique cycle and am thoroughly inspired... So I want to run a Zothique campaign using the AS&SH rules. For those familiar with the stories, what from the core book should be altered, excised, or added to in order to be true to the setting? So far, I'm thinking "very little" except new or reskinned gods, reskinning the Runegraver, and removing crossbows (or making them very exotic). Any other ideas?

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (9/24/2018 5:24 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/24/2018 5:41 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH Engine in Zothique

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm sure you will no doubt begin to see what portions of our version of Hyperborea were inspired by CAS's Zothique. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/24/2018 6:47 pm  #3

I know I read a lot of these I think in a Chaosium collection maybe 20-25 years ago. But I recall when I was reading AS&SH 2e for the first time a few things stood out as Zothiquey. Like the Silver, or rather Green Death and the entirety of the dying earth theme.

This campaign will be more my butter and jam; I prefer jungles, deserts and rocky wastelands to hoar-frosted forests.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/24/2018 9:57 pm  #4

Hey Jimm I considered running a campaign in Clark's Zothique as well. Even though it's made for d20, maybe this will help a little. 

9/25/2018 12:43 am  #5

Brock Savage wrote:

Hey Jimm I considered running a campaign in Clark's Zothique as well. Even though it's made for d20, maybe this will help a little. 

Thanks, I had found that too. invaluable, especially for the name list. But the map... has some problems.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.