!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2018 2:44 pm  #1

Comparison of Methods for Determining Attributes

Here's a little comparison of 4 methods for generating attributes. Method II isn't included as it has the same odds as method 1, only it generates more sets to choose from. Also bear in mind that in Method III you are free to assign your rolls as you please.

9/17/2018 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Comparison of Methods for Determining Attributes

Love seeing the graphical analysis. Good job.

As in most of my games, I prefer my players to use 4d6 (drop lowest) in order from top to bottom.
Some campaigns I have allowed players to point buy 2 for 1. (setting some sort of limit on the amount of buys).

Obviously, OD&D we roll 3d6 straight. Using the suggested rules for point buys.

9/23/2018 11:03 am  #3

We use this method... sharing 78 points among the attributes.. Usually, you could get something like 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 & 8, or 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13.

9/23/2018 11:26 am  #4

The graph makes it clear to me why Method 1 is Method 1.
It's the only spread that keeps bonuses for higher rolls bonuses.
But I guess if everyone wants a trophy....

9/23/2018 12:27 pm  #5

Used Method one last night in character creation. Seems like the better method for AS&SH.
Superheros are not needed.
Also opens up more roleplaying opportunities.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.