Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2018 11:05 am  #1


Gary Con XI (2019)

Gary Con XI’s scheduled for March 7-10, 2019 at the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, WI. Always a great event - hope everyone can attend! If you're already thinking of attending, do you plan to run anything? If so, what and when? 

Gary Con Homepage

Grand Geneva Homepage


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

3/12/2018 1:17 pm  #2


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

I've already gotten a room and am very much looking forward to next March.

I'm going to be running probably 4 Hyperborea games next year as well. Details and times TBD.

 

4/25/2018 8:14 pm  #3


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Yes. It's finally time for me to playtest OSTIUM UNDERBOREA

 

5/24/2018 1:44 pm  #4


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

I got my room booked and will be running a session or two over the weekend. For those of you who have run Hyperborea at conventions in the past.  Is it a practical option to let players generate their characters at the table?  So far my test runs with vic.. err.. "volunteers" have averaged 45 minutes or so using a printout of Book 1.


Behold! The Wizard.
Beware his powers!
UNSPEAKABLE POWERS!
 

5/24/2018 5:16 pm  #5


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

SuperPheemy wrote:

I got my room booked and will be running a session or two over the weekend.

Awesome! You will have a blast.

SuperPheemy wrote:

For those of you who have run Hyperborea at conventions in the past.  Is it a practical option to let players generate their characters at the table?  So far my test runs with vic.. err.. "volunteers" have averaged 45 minutes or so using a printout of Book 1.

I have run a convention game or two. My strong recommendation would be to provide pregens. If it’s a level one (or low level) scenario, it shouldn’t take you too long. I would recommend a pool consisting of a few fighting men, a couple of magic-user types, a couple of cleric types and maybe one thief type. Make sure you have a few extras so that players whose PCs die in the first two-thirds of the game can rejoin quickly.


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
     Thread Starter
 

5/24/2018 5:50 pm  #6


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

pregens all the way.  make sure you make them early in the prep process and get them out of the way.

 

5/24/2018 6:26 pm  #7


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Yeah, totally pregens. Let's get to playing the game!

 

5/25/2018 6:46 am  #8


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

francisca wrote:

pregens all the way.  make sure you make them early in the prep process and get them out of the way.

+1. Following Francisca's suggestion about when to make the pregens will save a bit of stress. It sucks having to scramble at the 11th hour to make a ton of pregens. 
Not that I've experienced that personally.. several times. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png

 

5/25/2018 1:14 pm  #9


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

I side with Pre-gens, with one caveat....I dont ever have to make them again! If we had a thread on this forum that just collected pregens in a certain format that would be super helpful. The absolute worst part of running a game for me was creating the pregens. Fun at first, but after the 12th one jeesh! YMMV

In hindsight i know the system a ton better now for having gone through the process of creating 15 pre-gens for each session run. Maybe I am an overachiever.


Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com
 

5/25/2018 3:51 pm  #10


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

mavfire wrote:

creating 15 pre-gens for each session run.

15? That's crazy! Apparently, Del plans on killing all his players. Some at least twice. lol. 

 

5/25/2018 4:49 pm  #11


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Well... Three sessions of Charnel Crypt, and two TPK's, the other one at least two character deaths and the untimely death of the torchbearer. I guess next time I should creat several torchbearers too!


Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com
 

7/28/2018 4:04 pm  #12


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Badge Registration's open! I'm in. 

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-XI/badgetypes


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
     Thread Starter
 

7/29/2018 12:19 am  #13


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Gold badges sold out already!  Wow, after a couple of years of getting one I'm out for the second year in a row.   Oh well, silver it will be then.


Other bands play, Manowar kill!
 

7/29/2018 5:42 pm  #14


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Chainsaw wrote:

Badge Registration's open! I'm in.

Awesome dude, glad to see you're planning to attend.
 


“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~  Wilfred Peterson
 

7/29/2018 9:33 pm  #15


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

MrManowar wrote:

Gold badges sold out already!  Wow, after a couple of years of getting one I'm out for the second year in a row.   Oh well, silver it will be then.

Exact same boat! But silver rocks with a couple walk-ons!
 

 

7/29/2018 9:38 pm  #16


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

In as well. Really looking forward to March!

 

7/30/2018 10:53 am  #17


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Skipped gold, as per usual.  Grabbed a silver.  Registered 2 events:

Lankhmar: The Lost Treasures of Tyaa (AS&SH) Thusrday 4PM-10PM
T-1: Village of Hommlet (AD&D, 1st edition no UA) as kind of a 40th anniversary thing.  Friday 4PM-10PM.

 

8/09/2018 9:18 am  #18


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Chainsaw, is it too early to launch your annual event summary? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

 

8/09/2018 9:41 am  #19


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw, is it too early to launch your annual event summary? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Never! I will get that rolling this evening.

I'm probably running less this year myself and doing mostly afternoon games so that I can drink more in the evenings and sleep it off. I'll definitely run The Lost Treasure of Atlantis (formerly known as The Strange Tale of Crystal Point) on Fri/Sat afternoon (like 12-4 or 2-6) in conjunction with the KS for it that may be happening around the same time. I'm also toying with the idea of an all day sandboxy come-and-go Xambaala thing on Thursday with all kinds of stuff to do (other short dungeons plugged in) but I'm not sure yet. Kinda depends on how much progress I make in my online game (I'm trying to avoid running anything that requires a ton of prep this time).


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
     Thread Starter
 

8/09/2018 10:24 am  #20


Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Chainsaw wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw, is it too early to launch your annual event summary? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Never! I will get that rolling this evening.

I'm probably running less this year myself and doing mostly afternoon games so that I can drink more in the evenings and sleep it off. I'll definitely run The Lost Treasure of Atlantis (formerly known as The Strange Tale of Crystal Point) on Fri/Sat afternoon (like 12-4 or 2-6) in conjunction with the KS for it that may be happening around the same time. I'm also toying with the idea of an all day sandboxy come-and-go Xambaala thing on Thursday with all kinds of stuff to do (other short dungeons plugged in) but I'm not sure yet. Kinda depends on how much progress I make in my online game (I'm trying to avoid running anything that requires a ton of prep this time).

Yes! Do it all! There's no Sleeping @ GaryCon!

 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2018 North Wind Adventures, LLC.