Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2014 12:46 pm  #21


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

i've been working my way through the two Lost Worlds paper back volumes. Solid stuff, I prefer Smith to Lovecraft, who never really hit it off for me for some reason, with the exception of Shadow over Innsmouth. Not sure whether i prrefer it to Conan yet though.

 

5/23/2014 12:51 pm  #22


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

i've been working my way through the two Lost Worlds paper back volumes. Solid stuff, I prefer Smith to Lovecraft, who never really hit it off for me for some reason, with the exception of Shadow over Innsmouth. Not sure whether i prrefer it to Conan yet though.

Nice! Welcome to the Hyperbo(re)ards!

 

6/04/2014 7:24 am  #23


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

I just read The Coming of the White Worm. This might be the best sword and wizardry story i've ever read. It would make excelent adventure material (although if it were adapted directly all pcs would need to be high level magic users and would be doomed to die)..

CAS has a lot of short stories. Which ones do you recommend. I have the two lost worlds paper back collections but im thinking of investing in something more substantial, are any specific collections recommended.

 

6/04/2014 7:43 am  #24


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

I just read The Coming of the White Worm. This might be the best sword and wizardry story i've ever read. It would make excelent adventure material (although if it were adapted directly all pcs would need to be high level magic users and would be doomed to die)..

CAS has a lot of short stories. Which ones do you recommend. I have the two lost worlds paper back collections but im thinking of investing in something more substantial, are any specific collections recommended.

That's a great story. The White Worm itself is an amazing creation. Creepy, bizarre, unheralded, undeniable.

Great_Lestrade, this thread mentions a couple of collections. Lost Worlds is good because it samples from a lot of CAS's settings:

http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=567#p567

"The Seven Geases" is particularly AS&SH-y; so is "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros."

And then there was talk of the fact that Penguin is putting out a good bit of CAS:

http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1374#p1374

 

 

6/05/2014 10:23 am  #25


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

I read the Seven Geases last night. Very good story. It could convert very well into an under world dungeoncrawl. The descriptions of the dark sorcerers fortress are particularly great.

 

9/03/2014 10:48 pm  #26


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

I picked up the U. Of Nebraska reprints of Out of Space and Time and Lost Worlds a while back.  Just now getting around to read them.  Great stuff!

 

9/04/2014 5:43 pm  #27


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

francisca wrote:

I picked up the U. Of Nebraska reprints of Out of Space and Time and Lost Worlds a while back.  Just now getting around to read them.  Great stuff!

You are in for a treat, Rich!
 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

9/05/2014 2:22 pm  #28


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Although it may be a tad uncouth, I have to gloat a little.  I finally got my hands on the outlandishly priced second volume of the Nightshade CAS books, completing my set! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png


All it took was an unholy pact with my wife wherein she got to spend an equal amount of money to buy a human skull.


"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes
 

9/05/2014 4:51 pm  #29


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Blackadder23 wrote:

Although it may be a tad uncouth, I have to gloat a little.  I finally got my hands on the outlandishly priced second volume of the Nightshade CAS books, completing my set! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png


All it took was an unholy pact with my wife wherein she got to spend an equal amount of money to buy a human skull.

Seems fair enough.

 

9/05/2014 6:40 pm  #30


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

francisca wrote:

Seems fair enough.

I know, right? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png


"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes
 

1/12/2015 12:17 pm  #31


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

 

1/13/2015 7:04 am  #32


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Handy Haversack wrote:

Happy birthday, CAS!

 

Indeed!


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

3/28/2015 5:53 pm  #33


Re: Clark Ashton Smith


I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
 

4/04/2015 1:31 am  #34


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

I am in love with my copies of Tales of Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea, Necronomicon Press. 
So much so they are really showing sings of use and wear & tear http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/depressed.png

Last edited by Griffith (4/04/2015 1:33 am)

 

4/04/2015 1:24 pm  #35


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Griffith wrote:

I am in love with my copies of Tales of Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea, Necronomicon Press. 
So much so they are really showing sings of use and wear & tear http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/depressed.png

I've read every Zothique and Hyperborea tale at least twice.
 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

4/04/2015 3:48 pm  #36


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Scalydemon wrote:

pdf of complete Averoigne cycle
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Eos7dWiQVGdExnbnZLZjQ5UEU/view

I read through Averoigne a little o er a year ago now, and it has some of my favorite CAS tales. It's very close to my homebrew... a heavily historical world mixed with myth, folklore and weird fantasy/horror.

Last edited by joseph (4/04/2015 4:30 pm)


ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess
 

4/04/2015 3:56 pm  #37


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

Griffith wrote:

I am in love with my copies of Tales of Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea, Necronomicon Press. 
So much so they are really showing sings of use and wear & tear http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/depressed.png

Those Necronomicon prints are awesome. Love mine.
 


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

4/28/2015 1:16 pm  #38


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

While working on the Kickstarter, binding a pile of books, and assembling game sets, I've been listening to a brilliant audio performance of "The Isle of the Torturers," by CAS, read by Reg Green:





Here you can learn more of my primary influence for Hyperborea's "Green Death." 

Enjoy!

Jeff T.

Last edited by Ghul (4/28/2015 1:17 pm)


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

4/28/2015 3:21 pm  #39


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

One of Smith's top five stories in my opinion.  It would make a great short film (or episode of a sixty minute anthology series).


"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes
 

7/28/2015 4:19 pm  #40


Re: Clark Ashton Smith

For those in the group who may have missed out on the Night Shade Books 'The Collected Fantasies of CAS' Volumes (such as myself), and are not willing to pay the price of the seperate volumes through secondary markets (also, such as myself) . . . behold . . . TPB reprints are finally coming . . . http://www.nightshadebooks.com/2015/07/16/the-collected-fantasies-of-clark-ashton-smith/  

 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.