!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2014 9:09 am  #1

Charge!

Check me on this in case I'm crazy: There's nothing in the AS&SH rules about how often one can charge, right? One could charge, kill, and charge again the very next round, correct? I guess I have AD&D so deeply ingrained in me that when this came up on Sunday I kept looking for a reason for it not to work, but other than terrain and angle, I don't see anything limiting charging in the AS&SH rules.

3/25/2014 9:54 am  #2

Re: Charge!

Funnily enough, this question came up in my game on Sunday as well.  Finding nothing to indicate otherwise, I allowed my player to charge as often as he wanted, provided he had at least 20' between him and his opponent and a relatively straight path.

3/27/2014 9:08 am  #3

I thought I saw something somewhere about this. Don't have books at the moment-maybe the Cataphract class description, I know I remember reading something about charging-like only able to do every third round, needing two rounds after the charge to "build up a head of steam" (my words) or something along those lines. 

3/27/2014 9:24 am  #4

Agricola wrote:

I thought I saw something somewhere about this. Don't have books at the moment-maybe the Cataphract class description, I know I remember reading something about charging-like only able to do every third round, needing two rounds after the charge to "build up a head of steam" (my words) or something along those lines. 

Spot on: it's in the cataphract description, but it refers only to mounted charges:

"On an open field, two rounds are needed to prepare subsequent mounted charge attacks; thus, a mounted charge attack may be effected every third round."

It's repeated in the Combat section on the mounted charge, but no mention is made for regular, horse-free charge attacks.

3/27/2014 10:21 am  #5

Ah!, OK.

3/31/2014 12:05 pm  #6

Looks like you fellows have puzzled out my intent with the charge rules. If there is anything else I can answer to clear it up, just let me know.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.