Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2017 5:46 am  #1


Account of Time:

To Jeff (or some person who knows)

Time:

1) For Example: if the Hyperboreans are know in the 8th century BC. Does the Ashen Worm come sometime after this and remove Hyperborea and cast it 5 billion years into the future to a dying sun?

2) While in their retreat in Spiral Mt. do the Hyperboreans live, generations passing; living and dying, or are they in suspended animation and sleep for the length of time, or are they trapped for 4-5 years (for example), then the thaw comes and they wander out. One year on Earth, next, 5 billion years in the future?

3) After the thaw and savage human tribes arriving (while Hyperboreans are still in their retreat) to the 'Green Death,' would a thousand years be about right, in passing?

4) Any thoughts on the presence of Thule?

Reasons for this is: A Hyperborean 11th level Druid: (achieving 11th level at 30 years, for example) attains Longevity and can live till he is 250. He would be 2,860 years of age and if in 576 (Tempest)  as an ancient man, he would have possible memories of being on Old Earth?

Thanks

 

10/01/2017 6:52 am  #2


Re: Account of Time:

Caveman wrote:

To Jeff (or some person who knows)

Time:

1) For Example: if the Hyperboreans are know in the 8th century BC. Does the Ashen Worm come sometime after this and remove Hyperborea and cast it 5 billion years into the future to a dying sun?

If you are taking the observations of the Greek philosophers as truth and fact in your Hyperborea, then perhaps the Hyperboreans are present in 8th century BC. If you prefer to lean more closely to the fiction of Clark Ashton Smith, the Hyperboreans were overtaken by the ice sheets spawned by the White Worm during the Pleistocene. Furthermore, you are making your own assumption when you say the Ashen Worm has cast it 5 billion years in the future, because that is never specified -- but do feel free to draw your own conclusions about who or what flung Hyperborea through time and space. 

2) While in their retreat in Spiral Mt. do the Hyperboreans live, generations passing; living and dying, or are they in suspended animation and sleep for the length of time, or are they trapped for 4-5 years (for example), then the thaw comes and they wander out. One year on Earth, next, 5 billion years in the future?

Again, this is not stated, so I don't (at this time) wish to create "canon" regarding the proclivities of the Hyperboreans during their retreat. If any did induce long sorcerous sleep (such as that which was promised in Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent), that is up to you. But if you take a look at Rats in the Walls, you will find hints (through Kiloplo Vheez) that imply the former.

3) After the thaw and savage human tribes arriving (while Hyperboreans are still in their retreat) to the 'Green Death,' would a thousand years be about right, in passing?

This is not clearly defined, because the migrations through the North Wind were a long process that in some cases may still be occurring. It is believed that the Esquimaux and the Tlingit were among the first to arrive, with the other races and cultures arriving after. There is no historical record to prove the assumption of a thousand years, and the lotus chewing, long-lived Hyperboreans in their hidden fastnesses might not have made such accounts. But if you prefer to go with a thousand years, I don't think that's bad at all.

4) Any thoughts on the presence of Thule?

Up to you! Is it in actuality Iceland, Greenland, or something else mythical? Could it connect to Hyperborea through the North Wind? Perhaps so! Does it manifest in the Hyperborean Sea when the stars are just so aligned? Maybe. Have fun with it, and let us know what you come up with.

Reasons for this is: A Hyperborean 11th level Druid: (achieving 11th level at 30 years, for example) attains Longevity and can live till he is 250. He would be 2,860 years of age and if in 576 (Tempest)  as an ancient man, he would have possible memories of being on Old Earth?

Thanks

I wouldn't do this, personally, simply because druidism for the Hyperboreans would have been an "experimental phase", hinted at as occurring just prior to the Green Death (through Yoon'Deh worship). In antiquity, they would have followed Apollo, then turned to Xathoqqua. Prior to the Green Death, when their society was at the height of its decadence, they began to experiment with some of the ways of the savages, which may or may not included druidism. But again (and I hate to sound vague), this is totally up to you! 

 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

10/01/2017 8:24 am  #3


Re: Account of Time:

Cheers Jeff, that was a helpful reply..

1) Think I preferring the Greek mythos, as they are stating they have seen it in these closer eras than CAS. Yes, sun is meant to die in 5 billion years and turn red (I think), so I did presume!

2) Okay, have a reread at that, I just trying to keep some clarity with other in forum; if I posting stuff later, concerning my ideas!

3) Cheers I go with about a thousand years, creating by own "Account of Time," advance version, including pre 'Green Death.'

4) Yes, thinking it more north-west of Scotland.
As parts of Lemuria, Atlantis, Mu, etc. are present planning to add a chunk of Thule close to Grey Coast.

Yes, true about the Hyperborean druid, a bit out of keeping, just looking for possibilities. But this does allow for Hyperborean Druids of about 1,200 years of age; which is an interesting story plot!

Cheers Jeff, chat soon, you might see more need for others' opinions on New Character Classes!

 

     Thread Starter
 

10/01/2017 8:52 am  #4


Re: Account of Time:

Though I love to ponder these things what drew me to the AS&SH rule set was the gazetteer style of writing.  I believe too much cannon caps creativity.

That being said the questions you ask are great! I particularly like the ancient Hyperborean Druid idea, survivor of the Green Death, truly alone because of his race and apostate status.


“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 
 

10/01/2017 12:55 pm  #5


Re: Account of Time:

Thanks for providing some insight, Ghul. 

mabon5127 wrote:

Though I love to ponder these things what drew me to the AS&SH rule set was the gazetteer style of writing.  I believe too much cannon caps creativity.

I couldn't agree more. One of the great strengths of Hyperborea is that the setting is presented with just enough evocative detail to fire the imagination while allowing enough room for a DM to make the setting his own.

Last edited by Brock Savage (10/01/2017 12:56 pm)

 

10/01/2017 6:56 pm  #6


Re: Account of Time:

Brock Savage wrote:

Thanks for providing some insight, Ghul.

mabon5127 wrote:

Though I love to ponder these things what drew me to the AS&SH rule set was the gazetteer style of writing.  I believe too much cannon caps creativity.

I couldn't agree more. One of the great strengths of Hyperborea is that the setting is presented with just enough evocative detail to fire the imagination while allowing enough room for a DM to make the setting his own.

One of the things I hope you fellows do is name and populate some of the unmarked towns. That's what they are there for, so that you can inject some of your own creativity into the setting. Cheers!

 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

10/02/2017 6:38 am  #7


Re: Account of Time:

mabon5127 wrote:

Though I love to ponder these things what drew me to the AS&SH rule set was the gazetteer style of writing.  I believe too much cannon caps creativity.

That being said the questions you ask are great! I particularly like the ancient Hyperborean Druid idea, survivor of the Green Death, truly alone because of his race and apostate status.

Yeah, mabon (and brock; hey created a Class for you ), I also enjoy the space the game offers to develop your own style, hence; me carving a small piece of the mainland to suit my self, but just wanted some basic concepts, but not bother if they differ from others, just good to get other's ideas and perspectives; I might agree and use their ideas!

Yes, the longevity ability is interesting; ah, yes, just looked as rules, the monk has it also, though not sure of Hyperborean monks as the norm before the Ashen Worm appeared. Perhaps I create a Class based on Hyperborean's perspective and add that ability, the idea of a Hyperborean being still alive and from Old Earth has a interesting history connection, as Greek myth states the Hyperboreans could live for a thousand years; then why not some that could achieve twice or thrice that amount as a sorcerer-king, etc.

(I got Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent, but not read it yet, eh, was trying to solo it in a few years, so not read it, but I might be able to GM it very soon, and therefore can give it a read if there is any hidden secrets of past history in it).

I still working on developing my maps of the Grey Coast, though it will be a few months before completed; adding new locations, changing names, sorting forests, rivers, wheeh; but still feels (and probably is) neverending, and Brigand's Bay is vast. So adding more or developing stuff that is there Jeff, I just not want to take away from others; as when I post a new Brigand's Bay map it will not clash with others, just because I doing it, does not mean other folk have to agree with it!

 

 

     Thread Starter
 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.