!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2017 11:52 am  #1

Few Game Questions

1) If texting a number for a population of a village, for example; does this include children?

2) What age does an Orc reach maturity?

3) What are the official abbreviations for the Classes; Example Ftr = Fighter, Thf = Thief, etc. ?

4) I think it was my presumption; but I not think I the only one (Blackadder23?); but do Bird-men have arms and hands, I guessing they do not; but I think if they do not; I will still be supplying them a set in my game?

9/15/2017 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Few Game Questions

Howdy, Caveman. Here are my mostly unofficial answers:

​1) I think population figures generally include only adults.

​2) I suggest orcs reach maturity in their early teens, much like men. (They are, after all, descended from men.) Of course, they're irredeemably Evil from birth and should be slaughtered on the teat.
​3) Class names generally are spelt in full. The only "official" abbreviations are for the schools of sorcery: mag = magician, cry = cryomancer, ill = illusionist, nec = necromancer, pyr = pyromancer, wch = witch, clr = cleric, and drd = druid.

​4) I do not believe bird-men have arms.

9/15/2017 7:48 pm  #3

Make it up!

My unofficial wise-arse answers:
1) I suppose it depends on what the person who's sending the text wants it to be
2) When the Family Warg says so!
3) FMCTBBCPRWINPWDMPSAABLS(CPHRB?). Wait... I don't think that's what you wanted...
4) They have wings, man! Presumably from their worship of the great Crimson Bull,

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

9/16/2017 5:41 am  #4

DMPrata wrote:

Howdy, Caveman. Here are my mostly unofficial answers:

​1) I think population figures generally include only adults.

​2) I suggest orcs reach maturity in their early teens, much like men. (They are, after all, descended from men.) Of course, they're irredeemably Evil from birth and should be slaughtered on the teat.
​3) Class names generally are spelt in full. The only "official" abbreviations are for the schools of sorcery: mag = magician, cry = cryomancer, ill = illusionist, nec = necromancer, pyr = pyromancer, wch = witch, clr = cleric, and drd = druid.

​4) I do not believe bird-men have arms.

1) Okay, sorted!
2) Yeah, a bit more realistic, I probably allow them to mature just slightly faster than human, by a year or two.
3) Cheers, I take note; perhaps, get a few more from Jeff, I got a plan!
4) Yeah, thought they might, but some evil sorcerer has been experimenting on them and given them arms!

9/16/2017 5:42 am  #5

foxroe wrote:

Make it up!

My unofficial wise-arse answers:
1) I suppose it depends on what the person who's sending the text wants it to be
2) When the Family Warg says so!
3) FMCTBBCPRWINPWDMPSAABLS(CPHRB?). Wait... I don't think that's what you wanted...
4) They have wings, man! Presumably from their worship of the great Crimson Bull,

Thanks Foxroe, that helps!

9/16/2017 4:26 pm  #6

You are correct that I gave bird-men arms in my own campaign (and thus the ability to readily use weapons).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/17/2017 4:13 am  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

You are correct that I gave bird-men arms in my own campaign (and thus the ability to readily use weapons).

Yes, I prefer it myself; made them a little more braver; but still cowardly in most part! I kind of base them on the bird-men from Dark Crystal film, they are cruel and malicious and I think this complements the setting; as a good humanoid antagonist-type in Hyperborea dark mythos! 

9/17/2017 6:35 am  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

I'm certainly not opposed to adding arms, but as an alternative, one could also rule that the bird-man's leg talon dexterity and strength is sufficient to wield and attack with a weapon while in flight. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/17/2017 12:19 pm  #9

Chainsaw wrote:

I'm certainly not opposed to adding arms, but as an alternative, one could also rule that the bird-man's leg talon dexterity and strength is sufficient to wield and attack with a weapon while in flight.

Yeah, I did think about that; but just want them shooting bow and crossbow and it got a bit stressful (for them and me)!

Also if they can take Classes, it best if they had arms for the finer work!

10/05/2017 7:05 am  #10

Found this: City-state of Orcust (2E; Page: 536) Orc maturity is about 10 years.

10/11/2017 5:56 am  #11

Near Gal Hills, what I call "Little Italy;" is this part of the Gal Hills by folk's perception, or a no-man's land?

10/11/2017 8:36 am  #12

Caveman wrote:

what I call "Little Italy;"

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/12/2017 4:36 am  #13

"What can you do?"

10/21/2017 5:45 am  #14

I a bit confuse about the officer when a character gets to 9th level, does he get one officer for each unit or just one officer for the troop?

They are called troops, then state a unit and a officer commands a unit. Is unit = troop?

10/21/2017 2:52 pm  #15

Caveman wrote:

I a bit confuse about the officer when a character gets to 9th level, does he get one officer for each unit or just one officer for the troop?

They are called troops, then state a unit and a officer commands a unit. Is unit = troop?

I think each different type of troop has its own officer. Maybe Jeff or Dave can comment if this was the intent of the rules.
It's mostly a moot point, because how many campaigns really run to 9th level, and how many actually involve domain management? My experience back in the 1980's, when I was a teen and could play D&D all the time, was that the answers were "very few" and "none" respectively. I'm thinking for older gamers (which I believe most of us are) the answers are going to be "even fewer" and "still none".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/22/2017 5:25 am  #16

I agree BA, it not for players, truly, but it for GMs, I just need it for land creation for lords and keeps, and now that I remember my true reason for posting; as I been doing a few Character Classes (and still am) that I want to get a concept of what I might be writing about!

Still thanks, I think it is one officer each unit, but doubt is not helping me progress!

And getting older!

10/22/2017 9:45 am  #17

Blackadder23 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

I think each different type of troop has its own officer. Maybe Jeff or Dave can comment if this was the intent of the rules.
It's mostly a moot point, because how many campaigns really run to 9th level, and how many actually involve domain management? My experience back in the 1980's, when I was a teen and could play D&D all the time, was that the answers were "very few" and "none" respectively. I'm thinking for older gamers (which I believe most of us are) the answers are going to be "even fewer" and "still none".

I would agree.  A typical "troop" refers to all the soldiers / minions.  The different types of soldiers in the "troop" are in "units" and have a commander that reports to the character.  My opinion.  I've run for 30+ years with various campaigns and never reached the point of having baronies / fiefdoms.  When I end this 5 year run to move to the second edition I will probably (since many are 7th and 8th level) bonus them a retirement level and let them step down to their various plans, gathering minions, and becoming NPC's for future PC's to interact with.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/22/2017 1:00 pm  #18

I never used the stronghold rules back in the day, but my group now had been waiting for this sort of thing. They are excited to start collecting Henchmen and building a base.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/23/2017 4:40 am  #19

mabon5127 wrote:

When I end this 5 year run to move to the second edition I will probably (since many are 7th and 8th level) bonus them a retirement level and let them step down to their various plans, gathering minions, and becoming NPC's for future PC's to interact with.

Ha! My group's main set of characters are 6th level, and are likely to hit 7th soon: I was thinking to do the same thing, by having them establish their own holdings, then start a 2e campaign around them with new characters.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/23/2017 6:58 am  #20

Cheers Mabon, I take note...

Glad to see people are considering the rules for stronghold, be nice, unusual and interesting to see a hex map fill with retired characters strongholds, it how worlds are made. I can believe it how for example Faerun was created, or Greyhawk, etc.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.