!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2014 12:24 am  #1

Dragonsfoot: Tower of the Elephant?

Has anyone played this adventure from the Dragonsfoot zine Footprints, no. 13? It's by Thulsa (and seems to be on http://hyboria.xoth.net/ also). It's for AD&D (with Unearthed Arcana, he typed judgingly) but is precisely based on the Conan story. Seems like a natural one to adapt for AS&SH play.

3/22/2014 7:55 am  #2

Re: Dragonsfoot: Tower of the Elephant?

Had no idea! Sounds like a great adventure idea.

Last edited by Ghul (3/22/2014 7:56 am)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/22/2014 8:58 am  #3

I definitely plan to give this a read through, as I had not seen it before. The hyboria website has some very good information, I remember using it heavily several years ago while running a game in the Border Kingdom.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/22/2014 9:10 am  #4

I have not played that version of TOE, but enjoy Thulsa's work on xoth.

There is also a version of Tower of the Elephant as a sample adventure in the Conan TSR 1985 RPG that I have used (with the Conan ruleset)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/22/2014 3:38 pm  #5

I love the Tower of the Elephant story. It was one of the first REH Conan stories i ever read. The adventure seems very straightforward but it seems a bit too rich in magical item loot for my current campaign though (but that is easily remedied ). 

An adaption to AS&SH would almost do itself i would imagine and having a version of the Yagites for Hyperboeran use is a wonderful idea. I remember the acute feeling of wierd i had when i first read the story. It would be simply amazing to hit my players with something akin to that.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/22/2014 3:46 pm  #6

Crisippo wrote:

I love the Tower of the Elephant story. It was one of the first REH Conan stories i ever read. The adventure seems very straightforward but it seems a bit too rich in magical item loot for my current campaign though (but that is easily remedied ). .

It's the +3 studded leather the guards are wearing! What? Why couldn't they just have, you know, splint mail or something?

Edit: 24 guards! If there are 24 suits of +3 std. lthr. in all of Hyperborea, I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (3/22/2014 3:54 pm)

3/22/2014 5:29 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

It's the +3 studded leather the guards are wearing! What? Why couldn't they just have, you know, splint mail or something?

Edit: 24 guards! If there are 24 suits of +3 std. lthr. in all of Hyperborea, I'm doing it wrong.

Yeah, add the 24 +1 small shields to that and it is past the point of ridiculous IMO. It's the first change i'm making if i run this adventure.   

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/22/2014 5:36 pm  #8

Crisippo wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yeah, add the 24 +1 small shields to that and it is past the point of ridiculous IMO. It's the first change i'm making if i run this adventure.   

Why bother with the jewel? Just sell the guards' stuff and you're made in the shade. To the tavern!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.