!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2017 7:17 am  #1

hyperborea encounter tables - as code

I've made public my code and YAML files I created to automate this fantastic resource:

https://github.com/gizmomathboy/hyperborea_encounter_tables

I did that at the urging of a friend as part of an article I am writing (and might get published soon) on how I use open source software in my gaming.

Thanks for Blackadder23 for providing such a great resource, and of course many, many thanks to Ghul for creating such a wonderful game for us.

Blackadder/Ghul let me know if there are any changes you would like to see in any of the files. I tried to be clear about what is and isn't mine.

What? Me worry?

6/02/2017 1:24 pm  #2

Re: hyperborea encounter tables - as code

Wow! I can't believe you went to all that trouble.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/02/2017 1:50 pm  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

It wasn't too much trouble once I figured out a decent way to get the tables into a text file of sorts (YAML in this case). Once I did that it wasn't too bad.

I had contemplated doing a manual copy and paste...but I quickly lost interest in that. :-)

The general process was:

1. pdftotext
2. munge the text a bit. I think this was mostly removing the number for the tables or something. I don't recall offhand
3. write a program to run through that text and dump into files.
4. check the tables for accuracy and errors
5. attack the harder stuff (still slogging through this bit)

The harder stuff is like rolling up the patrols, npcs, and the like. I have the "base" tables down for the various locales, terrains, and "sub tables".

I'm slowly working on making this something that could be a web app and having a web page where you can input some values and get a bunch of encounters.

What? Me worry?

6/04/2017 7:45 pm  #4

Sounds great! I'd love to read that article of yours too.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/05/2017 6:12 am  #5

gizmomathboy wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

It wasn't too much trouble once I figured out a decent way to get the tables into a text file of sorts (YAML in this case). Once I did that it wasn't too bad.

I had contemplated doing a manual copy and paste...but I quickly lost interest in that. :-)

The general process was:

1. pdftotext
2. munge the text a bit. I think this was mostly removing the number for the tables or something. I don't recall offhand
3. write a program to run through that text and dump into files.
4. check the tables for accuracy and errors
5. attack the harder stuff (still slogging through this bit)

The harder stuff is like rolling up the patrols, npcs, and the like. I have the "base" tables down for the various locales, terrains, and "sub tables".

I'm slowly working on making this something that could be a web app and having a web page where you can input some values and get a bunch of encounters.

I can't wait to see this!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.