Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2017 2:20 pm  #1


What are you reading?

Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld. I never tire of Cugel's foolishness - more than any other fictional character, he reminds me of most PCs.


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

4/26/2017 3:07 pm  #2


Re: What are you reading?

C. J. Cherryh, Hunter of Worlds. Cherryh's one of my favorite SF authors, and I picked this up in DAW at the Milwaukee airport after GaryCon.

 

4/26/2017 3:47 pm  #3


Re: What are you reading?

I am currently working my way through the Fafrd and Grey Mouser books...again, currently in Swords Against Wizardry.  Leiber's works are gold.

 

4/26/2017 3:58 pm  #4


Re: What are you reading?

I'm currently reading The Last Hieroglyph Volume 5 of The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith. Next will be The Miscellaneous Writtings of Clark Ashton Smith.

 

4/26/2017 6:57 pm  #5


Re: What are you reading?

Chainsaw wrote:

Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld. I never tire of Cugel's foolishness - more than any other fictional character, he reminds me of most PCs.

Too true, too true...
"Fianosther held wide his hands. 'Why not? Who would dare steal from Iucounu the Laughing Magician?'
'Precisely this thought deters me,' Cugel replied. 'I am a man of resource, but not insensate recklessness.'"
Jack Vance, The Eyes of the Overworld


"He combined insouciance and flair with dignity; his repartee coruscated with brilliant allusions and turns of phrase; when aroused his wit was utterly mordant."
Jack Vance, The Last Castle
 

4/26/2017 7:00 pm  #6


Re: What are you reading?

I'm always reading multiple books at a time...
Karl Edward Wagner's Midnight Sun
Herbert's Children of Dune

I alternate, depending on whether I'm in an AS&SH or Classic Traveller inspiration mood.


"He combined insouciance and flair with dignity; his repartee coruscated with brilliant allusions and turns of phrase; when aroused his wit was utterly mordant."
Jack Vance, The Last Castle
 

4/26/2017 7:12 pm  #7


Re: What are you reading?

Chainsaw wrote:

Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld. I never tire of Cugel's foolishness - more than any other fictional character, he reminds me of most PCs.

Haha! I was recently re-reading that one myself. Cugel is a classic. He has no redeeming qualities, yet he's wonderful. 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

4/26/2017 7:12 pm  #8


Re: What are you reading?

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I am currently working my way through the Fafrd and Grey Mouser books...again, currently in Swords Against Wizardry.  Leiber's works are gold.

Absolutely. 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

4/26/2017 7:16 pm  #9


Re: What are you reading?

rhialto wrote:

I'm always reading multiple books at a time...
Karl Edward Wagner's Midnight Sun
Herbert's Children of Dune

I alternate, depending on whether I'm in an AS&SH or Classic Traveller inspiration mood.

You are a man of discerning tastes. As chance has it, I just finished re-reading Herbert's God Emperor of Dune, and right now I'm reading Wagner's Bran Mak Morn pastiche, Legion From the Shadows.


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

4/27/2017 6:12 am  #10


Re: What are you reading?

I'm working my way through Howard's complete weird stories.  I'm on volume 7 (of 10) at this point.  When that's done, I may shift over to Donald Wandrei, before going back and rereading my complete Clark Ashton Smith series.  (Unrelated, on the side, I always have a World War One book going as part of the 100th anniversary - currently one on Lawrence of Arabia).

 

4/27/2017 3:51 pm  #11


Re: What are you reading?

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I'm always reading multiple books at a time...
Karl Edward Wagner's Midnight Sun
Herbert's Children of Dune

I alternate, depending on whether I'm in an AS&SH or Classic Traveller inspiration mood.

You are a man of discerning tastes. As chance has it, I just finished re-reading Herbert's God Emperor of Dune, and right now I'm reading Wagner's Bran Mak Morn pastiche, Legion From the Shadows.

That calls for a sig update, then...http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
...in mutual acknowledgment...

How is Legion from the Shadows? I don't know if I have that...


"He combined insouciance and flair with dignity; his repartee coruscated with brilliant allusions and turns of phrase; when aroused his wit was utterly mordant."
Jack Vance, The Last Castle
 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.