photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2017 9:30 am  #1

Foolsgrave (player thread)

On FaceBook, Guy and grodog mentioned comparing maps and swapping information, so I thought it might be handy to have a thread to help organize it. It's easy enough to say that everyone's sharing information at two taverns near the dungeon - The Laughing Skull (this thread) or The Knights & Knaves Alehouse (similar thread at the K&KA forum).

Beware, this thread will likely contain some player-generated spoilers, which I would view as rumors (that may not be true next time around). Use a spoiler tag if you like, makes no difference to me. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/02/2017 9:51 pm  #2

Re: Foolsgrave (player thread)

Thanks for getting this started. Hopefully, there's a lot of posts on this by Foolsgrave players. 
The K&KA forums are awesome, lots of good stuff there. 

4/03/2017 10:37 am  #3

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Thanks for getting this started. Hopefully, there's a lot of posts on this by Foolsgrave players.

We'll see! I'm sure interest will ebb and flow around convention activity, but down the road I'd like to find a way to run it online once a month as well. Fingers crossed!

4/03/2017 12:18 pm  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

..down the road I'd like to find a way to run it online once a month as well. Fingers crossed!

In!

4/05/2017 7:11 am  #5

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

..down the road I'd like to find a way to run it online once a month as well. Fingers crossed!

In!

Done! At least one seat's yours.

I'm serious, though, my plan is to find some time this summer to figure out a way to run this online regularly and in a way where the mapping is engaging and not tedious. I don't want to be reading aloud feet dimensions because my experience *online* is that you lose people quickly after a few rooms in a compex map. No one except the folks mapping have any idea what's going on (tending to get bored or reckless or both) and the mapper and I spend way too much time on simple things (that would be cleared up easily in person). I will probably have to scan original maps (redrawn sans secret door indicators etc), upload them into a Roll20 type service, then use some sort of fog or something to obscure unseen areas. Once I figure out the best way to present it, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Like I said, I am excited about doing it.

4/06/2017 12:14 pm  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

..., but down the road I'd like to find a way to run it online once a month as well. Fingers crossed!

I have a thread over K&KAH about using roll20.

I would be happy to help you figure out how to use roll20. I mean, who doesn't love dying in Foolsgrave? I gotta at least survive 1 session so I can tell my tale at the bar...err...this thread.

If I recall you did this on 8.5x11 sheets so you could scan the individual sheets and then stitch them back together in some program. Heck you could even have each scan be separate and just go to each "map" as you work through the dungeon.

I've talked with Francsica a bit about how me might turn his maps and use them on roll20. I think it's mostly straightforward. Maybe I'll trawl through the youtube videos for roll20 and see if any standout as useful.

What? Me worry?

4/06/2017 1:43 pm  #7

Chainsaw, 

Let me know by text, PM or other I could be swayed to do the online thing in one of your Foolsgrave forays this summer!

Del

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

4/06/2017 3:07 pm  #8

mavfire wrote:

Let me know by text, PM or other I could be swayed to do the online thing in one of your Foolsgrave forays this summer!

You got it. 

4/06/2017 3:38 pm  #9

An idea, not taking anything away from the great graphics that Roll20 offers, is that you use your PC and use MS Paint for mapping during the sessions. You share your screen, map it out as the group moves through the dungeon and everyone can see it. 

Just a thought. 

4/06/2017 3:41 pm  #10

gizmomathboy wrote:

I have a thread over K&KAH about using roll20.

I would be happy to help you figure out how to use roll20. I mean, who doesn't love dying in Foolsgrave? I gotta at least survive 1 session so I can tell my tale at the bar...err...this thread.

If I recall you did this on 8.5x11 sheets so you could scan the individual sheets and then stitch them back together in some program. Heck you could even have each scan be separate and just go to each "map" as you work through the dungeon.

I've talked with Francsica a bit about how me might turn his maps and use them on roll20. I think it's mostly straightforward. Maybe I'll trawl through the youtube videos for roll20 and see if any standout as useful.

Sure, sounds good.

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

An idea, not taking anything away from the great graphics that Roll20 offers, is that you use your PC and use MS Paint for mapping during the sessions. You share your screen, map it out as the group moves through the dungeon and everyone can see it. 

Just a thought. 

That's a great idea because it would seem to involve no prep/scanning. Does it offer a grid under-lay option? Can other people mark on the surface?

I did something similar with G+ Hangouts, which had a doodlepad tool. For simple dungeons, it worked well. For Foolsgrave, not so much. Plus, it froze up and lagged a lot.

4/06/2017 7:20 pm  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

That's a great idea because it would seem to involve no prep/scanning. Does it offer a grid under-lay option? Can other people mark on the surface?

I did something similar with G+ Hangouts, which had a doodlepad tool. For simple dungeons, it worked well. For Foolsgrave, not so much. Plus, it froze up and lagged a lot.

The challenge will be getting a grid. MS Paint essentially allows you to draw over a picture, in this case the picture being a grid map. However, I have to imagine that making a grid wouldn't be hard, just time consuming.

Playing devils advocate, do you really want grids for a screen map being used in an internet game?

4/07/2017 8:09 am  #12

The grid is used for tokens snapping to it. While you don't need it necessarily on the maps it's there and it also makes it easy to draw when your lines "snap to grid" as well.

While I haven't tried other methods I did research the variety of "shared mapping" software/choices and roll20 seemed the easiest to learn and manipulate.

What? Me worry?

4/07/2017 8:30 am  #13

I've used Twiddla for years (in conjunction with Skype).  It's hardly perfect, but it does have a good grid and is extremely easy to use.  And it's free.

4/07/2017 10:30 am  #14

I'd play in this!

And I agree with Welleran about Twiddla. Seems pretty simple to use, and it doesn't interfere with G+ hangouts (which Roll20 will no longer interface with).

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2016 North Wind Adventures, LLC.