!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2017 5:47 pm  #1

Shooting Star Watcher

Putting together an adventure to run at GHC V and possibly GaryCon X.

The player summary is:
Passed down through generations is the story of a group of individuals foretold as rediscovering the fabled Royal Library containing the complete knowledge and wisdom of ancient Hyperboreans. This story is the basis for a variety of rumors and legends told by parents to their offspring to impart their tribal morals and ethics. Consequently, this cycle has repeated itself over the past millennia. As discovered during a teaching exercise where your teacher whispers a phrase into one child’s ear and then the child does same to the next. This process continues between each child in the entire class. When the last child speaks aloud the phrase, the phrase spoken is drastically different than what the teacher originally whispered.

Recently your group has had a consultation with the witch Laveau. During the consultation, the witch Laveau channeled an ancient Hyperborean whom was discussing with their teacher the futile nature of spending years making written records. The teacher explains to the student that after a civilization is extinct, the only thing that exists proving your existence is the written record. Asking questions after the channeling, the witch Laveau instructs you on following shooting stars to guide your journey.

Following the shooting stars you have been on a journey to the west and have overcome a variety of hardships and gained invaluable experiences. Recently your journey has taken you into the Plain of Leng. After several weeks of traveling you have decided to spend a couple of days recovering in the town of Poteet.
Question: Does this sound like an event you would like to play in?

Question: Does this violate any AS&SH canon?

Thank you,
Edwin

Last edited by stahlnee (4/02/2017 4:07 pm)

4/01/2017 6:15 pm  #2

Re: Shooting Star Watcher

Sounds interesting, Edwin! Makes me think, what if the collected knowledge of the Great Library of Alexandria was discoverable?  

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/05/2017 2:41 pm  #3

Sounds very cool!

The only Hyperborean red flag it raises for me is "royal"; Hyperborea has a lot of petty kinglets and warlords and the like, but I'm not sure what "royal" would mean.

4/06/2017 1:14 pm  #4

and now I have another hook I can play in Hyperborea.

Hell, I need to see if I can work it into my Hesword Vignettes somehow. A gang of Warp Riders that ride the 'verse preserving great libraries.

What? Me worry?

4/06/2017 1:16 pm  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Sounds very cool!

The only Hyperborean red flag it raises for me is "royal"; Hyperborea has a lot of petty kinglets and warlords and the like, but I'm not sure what "royal" would mean.

I think just naming it the Codex Suprema of Hyperborea, or some such fippery would be cool enough.

What? Me worry?

4/06/2017 2:58 pm  #6

Handy Haversack wrote:

Sounds very cool!

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think he's talking about a library that dates from the time when Hyperborea did have kings (or to be precise, "sorcerer-kings and witch-queens"). Hence the "fabled".

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/06/2017 2:59 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/07/2017 10:28 am  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think he's talking about a library that dates from the time when Hyperborea did have kings (or to be precise, "sorcerer-kings and witch-queens"). Hence the "fabled".

Who rules when everyone's a king?

(I have answers to this and other pointless questions, actually!)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.