photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg


Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2014 10:40 pm  #41


Re: Introduction Thread

Well, excellent, and, bummer


A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.gif
 

3/10/2014 6:07 pm  #42


Re: Introduction Thread

Hi, I'm EOTB.  I love old-school games, and I really enjoy the setting/flavor of AS&SoH.  I consider it one of the few simulacrum's worth purchasing and playing as a game in its own right.  Savage Sword of Conan is one of my main muses when it's time to draft my own adventures, and this game captures that flavor more naturally than other games out there.

Glad to see a home board set up for Hyperboria and looking forward to seeing the conversations that develop.  

Last edited by EOTB (3/10/2014 6:15 pm)

 

3/10/2014 7:16 pm  #43


Re: Introduction Thread

Hi EOTB, and welcome aboard! Are you hitting Gary Con or North Texas this year?


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
     Thread Starter
 

3/10/2014 7:26 pm  #44


Re: Introduction Thread

Hey EOTB! Glad you're here.


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

3/11/2014 7:33 pm  #45


Re: Introduction Thread

Ghul wrote:

Hi EOTB, and welcome aboard! Are you hitting Gary Con or North Texas this year?

I'm booked for Gary Con.  North Texas will be a game-time decision.

I'm in your Saturday night game with Chainsaw, and look forward to seeing everyone again.  Can't believe a year has gone by since the last one!

Chainsaw wrote:

Hey EOTB! Glad you're here

 

I heard they made you a moderator somewhere, and I had to see it for myself, lol
 

 

3/12/2014 1:21 pm  #46


Re: Introduction Thread

EOTB wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Hey EOTB! Glad you're here

I heard they made you a moderator somewhere, and I had to see it for myself, lol

Yes... it was either the money, power or women that lured me. Wait...


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

3/12/2014 10:59 pm  #47


Re: Introduction Thread

I'm Maezar aka Matman aka M@, avid FRPG DM/player since 1979. 1E was my lifeblood. I was also then, and remain to this day, heavily into metagaiming/TFT. Now I'm a dad. Though one of my  degrees is in Medieval studies, I flourished in the new media age and now work in the music business. I game with my friends and their sons, and have begun exploratory sessions with my young daughters.

Tolkien, Arthurian romance, REH, Conan Comics, Heavy Metal mag, the art of Frank Frazetta (and many others!), the music of Rush, countless fantasy paperbacks, choose-your-own adventure books -- and more -- all of these primed me for the FRPG explosion of the late 1970s/early 1980s, which I'd say reached new heights when I was perhaps 16 with the 2nd Greyhawk campaign box (the one with Larry Easley's art) and continued on a plateau into but not through the Forgotten Realms period. My own campaigns have been all-original since about 1987. I am also a Judges Guild fan and collector to this day. 

After first gaming in the 6th grade with the original wood box products, I followed fully through with rabid consumption of every available D&D product, and also delved into "recommended reading," quickly singling out Fritz Lieber and Jack Vance as new favorites. I came to Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsanny decades later.

I am very into mapmaking, world building, and character creation. I can hack-and-slash or personna-create with the best of them.

I think that Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerors of Hyperborea is the best thing to happen to serious gaming in decades, and I am thrilled to be here at the epicenter of the 2nd 1E revolution. 

I'd love to explore further the possibility of play-by-post or long distance gaming. My local network (Northwestern NJ) has all but dwindled as reality displaced fantasy for all but a dwindling few.

I'm working on some special AS&SH projects which I hope you'll all learn more about some day soon.

Until then, may your forum flourish unfrozen through the chill of everdark Nightfall,  

 

Last edited by Maezar (3/12/2014 11:03 pm)

 

3/13/2014 3:44 am  #48


Re: Introduction Thread

Maezar wrote:

I'm Maezar aka Matman aka M@, avid FRPG DM/player since 1979. 1E was my lifeblood. I was also then, and remain to this day, heavily into metagaiming/TFT. Now I'm a dad. Though one of my  degrees is in Medieval studies, I flourished in the new media age and now work in the music business. I game with my friends and their sons, and have begun exploratory sessions with my young daughters.

Tolkien, Arthurian romance, REH, Conan Comics, Heavy Metal mag, the art of Frank Frazetta (and many others!), the music of Rush, countless fantasy paperbacks, choose-your-own adventure books -- and more -- all of these primed me for the FRPG explosion of the late 1970s/early 1980s, which I'd say reached new heights when I was perhaps 16 with the 2nd Greyhawk campaign box (the one with Larry Easley's art) and continued on a plateau into but not through the Forgotten Realms period. My own campaigns have been all-original since about 1987. I am also a Judges Guild fan and collector to this day. 

After first gaming in the 6th grade with the original wood box products, I followed fully through with rabid consumption of every available D&D product, and also delved into "recommended reading," quickly singling out Fritz Lieber and Jack Vance as new favorites. I came to Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsanny decades later.

I am very into mapmaking, world building, and character creation. I can hack-and-slash or personna-create with the best of them.

I think that Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerors of Hyperborea is the best thing to happen to serious gaming in decades, and I am thrilled to be here at the epicenter of the 2nd 1E revolution. 

I'd love to explore further the possibility of play-by-post or long distance gaming. My local network (Northwestern NJ) has all but dwindled as reality displaced fantasy for all but a dwindling few.

I'm working on some special AS&SH projects which I hope you'll all learn more about some day soon.

Until then, may your forum flourish unfrozen through the chill of everdark Nightfall,  

 

Great intro!  I played a lot of "The Fantasy Trip" as well. Welcome!

Morgan
 


"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,"
 

3/13/2014 6:20 am  #49


Re: Introduction Thread

Maezar wrote:

I
I'd love to explore further the possibility of play-by-post or long distance gaming. My local network (Northwestern NJ) has all but dwindled as reality displaced fantasy for all but a dwindling few.

Hi, Maezar,

Is it hard for you to get in to NYC? We could probably find a seat at AS&SH or AD&D for you.

Otherwise, if you want to try PbP or something, I might be interested. I've never done such.

Michael
(HH)

 

3/13/2014 7:53 am  #50


Re: Introduction Thread

I love PbP and it looks like Jeff has a forum already set up for it!
There's a great die roller here too: www.unseenservant.com if Jeff doesn't have that set up.
--Ron--

Last edited by rredmond (3/13/2014 7:54 am)


& Magazine Filling in the gaps for old school gamers. 
 

3/17/2014 5:24 pm  #51


Re: Introduction Thread

Hello, i'm Marius. I started gaming in 93 with a Norwegian translation of the Mentzer edition of Basic D&D and i've been playing RPG's ever since.

Games i've played include BD&D Rules Cyclopedia, 2nd ed. AD&D (Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft), Warhammer (1st. and 2nd editions), Pendragon, Kult, Earthdawn, MERP, Ars Magica, VtM, Star Wars D6, Star Trek (Decipher), Call of Cthulhu, 3rd. ed D&D, Pathfinder, Tribe 8, Unknown Armies, Elfquest, Shadowrun and some Savage Worlds stuff. There is also a bunch of Swedish and Norwegian games (Drakar & Demoner, Neothech, Noir, Draug etc.). My Norwegian mini-RPG "Bankran" about female bank-robbers came second in a Norwegian RPG design contest, it also won an award for best casual game  

I found the anniversary 1st ed. AD&D books last year wich led my explore Old School again. Picked up the AS&SH pdf (along with some other OSR/simulacra stuff) and loved it. I've been nagging my players about doing more Old School gaming ever since.

I'm currently running one AS&SH game alongside a Wfrp 2 mini-campain and a Pendragon campain (which have been running since 2002). I also have a CoC campain on indefinite hiatus.

I love to read fiction (fantasy, wierd fiction, comic books) and non-fiction (history/philosophy/anthropology). I also write a blog (in Norwegian) about gender and pop-culture.

Besides gaming, reading and writing i don't have much of a life except spending quality-time with my non-gamer wife and trying to find work with a degree in Cultural Studies ;). 

Last edited by Crisippo (3/17/2014 5:25 pm)


Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene
 

3/17/2014 6:02 pm  #52


Re: Introduction Thread

Welcome, Crisippo! My goodness, you've played a lot more RPGs than I have!


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
     Thread Starter
 

3/18/2014 10:28 pm  #53


Re: Introduction Thread

Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to register. Looks like a cool site and new venue for discussion ghul has put together.

I am Scott and live near Seattle. I am a fan of the AS&SH game as well as the sword & sorcery genre and related literature.  I self publish a fanzine on related material from my basement when my family etc. cooperate called AFS Magazine. Be warned I may pimp this board for article submissions!


I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
 

3/19/2014 4:11 am  #54


Re: Introduction Thread

Hey Scott! Good to see you here.


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

3/19/2014 4:22 am  #55


Re: Introduction Thread

Scalydemon wrote:

Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to register. Looks like a cool site and new venue for discussion ghul has put together.

I am Scott and live near Seattle. I am a fan of the AS&SH game as well as the sword & sorcery genre and related literature.  I self publish a fanzine on related material from my basement when my family etc. cooperate called AFS Magazine. Be warned I may pimp this board for article submissions!

Hey, what kept ypu?
 

 

3/19/2014 7:42 am  #56


Re: Introduction Thread

Hi, Scott--the zines arrived, and I'm working my way throuigh them. Good stuff!

 

3/20/2014 10:12 pm  #57


Re: Introduction Thread

*post 2


I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
 

3/20/2014 10:13 pm  #58


Re: Introduction Thread

*post 3 (so i can post other stuff need to get over 3 posts)


I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
 

3/21/2014 11:32 pm  #59


Re: Introduction Thread

Hi, AS&SH is like my favorite game ever. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/shout.png

 

3/22/2014 9:19 am  #60


Re: Introduction Thread

flumph wrote:

Hi, AS&SH is like my favorite game ever. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/shout.png

Welcome flumph!!
 


"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,"
 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.