!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2016 12:10 pm  #1

Rats in The Walls (spoilers)

Started a new AS&SH campaign last week with two players new to the AS&SH system. I ran Rats in the Walls. There were only three players but one is an experienced gamer, really experienced, and he agreed to play two characters until we can get another player on board. We kept it simple and played the main classes: fighter, cleric, thief, and magician.

I am new to GMing with this system so I decided to run the adventure as close to the vest as possible. In the first session I chose not to veer away from the main story line much because I knew there would be a good deal of rules scanning as everyone got used to the game mechanics and gaming together. However, by the time they hit the basement we were already on auto-pilot and the players were involved in several touch and go encounters. Real edge-of-your-seat gameplay. Two characters teetered on the brink of death before some quick thinking from our magician saved the day.

We (hopefully) finish the encounter tonight - and I've a surprise for the players. If they survive - and there is no guarantee they will - I plan on tweaking the rat borne disease check to send them on a quest to save one of the party from madness. I've already begun weaving the PC life stories into the upcoming homebrew quest.

The RPG newbie loved the game so much he begged the rest of us to promise that we would play as often as possible and we're delivering! Can't wait for tonight! 

“The more I see of what you call civilization, the more highly I think of what you call savagery!” 
― Robert E. HowardKing Kull
www.skelospress.com

12/29/2016 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Rats in The Walls (spoilers)

Awesomeness! Thanks for the report. 

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

12/30/2016 6:51 pm  #3

The adventure did indeed end last night and it was a smashing success. The fighter went down for the count - again - but some quick thinking from the wizard - again - and a truly epic backstab by the thief allowed the cleric to cure wounds just enough to bring the fighter back.

​I tinkered with the ending as I said I would by creating a mini-adventure that not only helped set the PCs up with a base of operations for future adventures but also allowed each of them to make contact with others of their respective classes in the city state of Khromarium.  The proprietor of the Silvery Eel was so happy to have his business back that he offered the adventurers use of the subbasement as their long term lodgings. However, they've a surprise mini-adventure next week involving Xill Vuntos' daughter...it's juicy!

“The more I see of what you call civilization, the more highly I think of what you call savagery!” 
www.skelospress.com

1/06/2017 8:34 pm  #4

Ahh, a very interesting turn of events, and it makes sense, too. Lots of room for storing loot! ;) Nicely done.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/16/2017 4:24 pm  #5

Hey, I'm starting a campaign with "Rats in the Walls" on Monday, and I had thought this very thing for after the adventure: that the players might naturally think about using the underground ruin as their hidden base.

And then one day they find yet ONE MORE secret door that leads... [evil grin]

I'm also surprised to be setting up for what promises to be an "urban campaign" -- at least as we begin here. It only makes sense. I'm sure there's plenty to do in Khromarium.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

9/16/2017 4:50 pm  #6

I'm also going to be starting a campaign with Rats in the Walls (modified, and located in Robert E Howard's Hyborian Age), I hadn't even considered that the players may decide to use the ruin as a lair. 
I kind of hope they do now, because I'm planning a follow-up adventure based on Lovecraft's RitW story.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/04/2017 5:48 pm  #7

It worked out well for them, Grimmshade. It also made for a convenient bridge between "in between adventures", that is, those adventures where on some nights I can't get the whole group together to continue the current campaign but can get a few players to gather round the table who desperately need some RPG fun. I'll let them roll some characters and run them through a city adventure right from the lair or Heroes Hall as I like to call it.

www.skelospress.com

10/04/2017 8:08 pm  #8

Nice Brule!

Mine went really good as well. I set the adventure in the Hyborian Age, in northern Zamora nestled among some ancient Zhemri ruins at the opening of a pass into the Zamorian/Turanian steppes. I changed the antagonist to an ancient pre-Zamorian sorceress. Other than that, I ran it as written and it went great! The party didn't consider making the ruins/Inn a base however. They were pretty creeped out by the "curse" once the adventure was over and moved on.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

2/28/2018 3:03 pm  #9

Brule Spear-Slayer wrote:

The adventure did indeed end last night and it was a smashing success. The fighter went down for the count - again - but some quick thinking from the wizard - again - and a truly epic backstab by the thief allowed the cleric to cure wounds just enough to bring the fighter back.

​I tinkered with the ending as I said I would by creating a mini-adventure that not only helped set the PCs up with a base of operations for future adventures but also allowed each of them to make contact with others of their respective classes in the city state of Khromarium.  The proprietor of the Silvery Eel was so happy to have his business back that he offered the adventurers use of the subbasement as their long term lodgings. However, they've a surprise mini-adventure next week involving Xill Vuntos' daughter...it's juicy!

Any chance you would share your change up for the disease? Thanks for sharing your stories of adventure. I like reading about other peoples games.

Last edited by Thrasaric (3/01/2018 6:12 am)

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

6/06/2018 2:57 am  #10

I ran Rats in the Walls for my group last weekend and it was a huge success! The straighforward plot and succinct but evocative exposition allowed me to run this adventure with minimal prep; the game was a lot of fun for all involved.

My players found the prayer book and sacrificial ritual to Aurorus. Some of them are actually considering using the thing to discover what secrets Aurorus will impart. Maybe I have a case of the dumb or my creative well is temporarily dry but for the life of me I am drawing a blank as to what will happen if they try it. I'd love to hear some ideas to spark my own imagination.

Last edited by Brock Savage (6/06/2018 3:06 am)

9/05/2018 11:20 pm  #11

I discovered the answer for the question posted in the spoiler above. 

It's on page 487 of AS&SH 2e

5/04/2019 9:56 pm  #12

Our group finished the trio of adventures the other night.  Quite fun, though I'd think "The Brazen Bull" would be pretty tough for 1st-2nd level PCs.  Our group was higher level and they were hard pressed due to losing  initiative and failing some saves. Both their fighters were neutralized in the last fight with the cult leaders. They were saved by a cryomancer with a wand of freezing. Their scout also had a great night.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/05/2019 7:01 am  #13

Cool, will keep that in mind: my group left off at the very last room of the first adventure, and we will resume next weekend. Since they're higher level I will still scale things up for them.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/05/2019 7:26 am  #14

Spider of Leng wrote:

Our group finished the trio of adventures the other night.  Quite fun,

Cool!

Spider of Leng wrote:

though I'd think "The Brazen Bull" would be pretty tough for 1st-2nd level PCs.  Our group was higher level and they were hard pressed due to losing initiative and failing some saves. Both their fighters were neutralized in the last fight with the cult leaders. They were saved by a cryomancer with a wand of freezing. Their scout also had a great night.

It's a tough one, no doubt, and there are definitely easier/harder approaches, but it sounds like your crew snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Which route inside did your group take?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/12/2019 12:35 pm  #15

They went right through the heart of it, taking on the automaton,etc. Because they were a bit higher level, they were confident.  But the automaton almost took one PC out and the spells were tough. One PC got wrapped up the intestine zombie, but they handled it fairly well.  They found her tomb last.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

5/12/2019 1:23 pm  #16

Spider of Leng wrote:

They went right through the heart of it, taking on the automaton,etc. Because they were a bit higher level, they were confident.  But the automaton almost took one PC out and the spells were tough.

Nice! Haha! I love when PCs charge in the front door, guns blazing, but I don't make it easy on them. Solving the riddle or simply using one of the other two quasi-hidden entrances preserves resources way better. My own group ended up sprinting past (one death in the process). I think Jeff had two groups solve the riddle (Total Con) and his home group used one of the secret passages. Funny story - in one of his convention games, the party wound up all hanging on the meat hooks, dislodged themselves and then explored the temple in only loincloths and using the hooked chains as improvised weapons. Beautiful!

Spider of Lang wrote:

One PC got wrapped up the intestine zombie, but they handled it fairly well. They found her tomb last.

Sounds like a good time!

5/12/2019 9:14 pm  #17

Yeah,this group is usually more cautious and focused on the mission rather than clearing the dungeon or whatever.  This time they took the latter approach. Kraggoth Manor is next.

5/13/2019 9:52 am  #18

Convention gaming (for me) is mostly about busting down doors and dying (hopefully in a glorious death). Sure, subtle can be fine but I've only got 4 hours to bust things up and beat the boss :-)

What? Me worry?

5/13/2019 10:46 am  #19

Spider of Leng wrote:

Kraggoth Manor is next.

Fun! I have not run that one yet, so I'll be interested in hearing your feedback.

gizmomathboy wrote:

Convention gaming (for me) is mostly about busting down doors and dying (hopefully in a glorious death). Sure, subtle can be fine but I've only got 4 hours to bust things up and beat the boss :-)

Oh, me too, all the way! I love a generating a great story and a gorious death at the conventions. Metal!

5/14/2019 11:51 am  #20

Chainsaw wrote:

I think Jeff had two groups solve the riddle (Total Con) and his home group used one of the secret passages. Funny story - in one of his convention games, the party wound up all hanging on the meat hooks, dislodged themselves and then explored the temple in only loincloths and using the hooked chains as improvised weapons. Beautiful!

It was one of the more memorable convention games that I've ever run. When the PCs are naked and have nothing but improvised meat hooks for weapons, life is good for the game referee. :-)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.