!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2014 1:48 am  #1

A Plague of Wolves & Ravens

A Plague of Wolves & Ravens Across the wastes of Hyperborea a lone figure emerges. Swathed in robes no one can say if this be a man or a woman. The figure appears in the distance and a blackness seems to hover near them; and the ravens come. But then the earth seems to move like a wave around this silent pilgrim and the wolves lope by. Hundreds of them.  They are a killing, scavenging plague that sweeps across the land. All creatures flee before it. Entire villages are decimated by it with scant few survivors who hid in attic or cellar, barricaded against this unstoppable menace.  They are an army and they are winning their war against mankind. They think as an army thinks. They run when a power greater than theirs opposes them. They attack when their opponents are weak. They conquer, but leave only well picked and gnawed bones behind them.

3/18/2014 8:16 am  #2

Re: A Plague of Wolves & Ravens

This is so great, Jason! I used this piece to define one of the long-term antagonists in my AS&SH. I made him a druid-lich with triple-eyed ravens and wolves as servants.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/18/2014 8:27 am  #3

Good ideas from both of these posts!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/18/2014 9:23 am  #4

Crisippo wrote:

This is so great, Jason! I used this piece to define one of the long-term antagonists in my AS&SH. I made him a druid-lich with triple-eyed ravens and wolves as servants.

That is fantastic. I mentioned on another forum that the gern of this idea comes from Knight of the Dinner Table where they have an intelligent guard dog that goes wild and gathers a horde of wild dogs to him. Can't remember which strips they were in but it was both funny and inspirational.

But having a Druid-Lich sounds wicked cool.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.