!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2016 8:25 am  #1

EXTRA SPICY Drunken Debauchery!

The drunken debauchery rules by Colin Chapman, available from the Hyperborea website, are quite good as they stand.  My only (very minor) criticism is that there's nothing particularly fantastical about them; they would be perfectly usable in a non-fantasy Dark Ages or medieval game, since the table consists entirely of things that might happen in the real world - getting drunk and puking, marrying someone unfortunate, buying something stupid, and so forth.  There's nothing at all wrong with any of that, but - inasmuch as Hyperborea is a fantasy world - some referees may prefer to have a few outlandish and magical results on the table.  For such connoisseurs of Chaos I present these EXTRA SPICY Drunken Debauchery Rules.

Simply roll on the AS&SH Drunken Debauchery table as usual, but if the number rolled is a double, substitute the following result instead.  I recommend using a fantastical result only once (unless it's really bad and you hate your players, or you want to make a running joke out of it); reroll (or substitute something equally fiendish of your own invention) if the same EXTRA SPICY result occurs a second time.

EXTRA SPICY Drunken Debauchery!

Roll  Result
11     Leafy Bower
22     The Wrong Keg
33     Dream Date
44     Long Holiday
55     Got a Grip
66     Reigning Champion
77     Under New Management
88     Killer Ink
99     In the Navy
00     Theological Debate

Leafy Bower: The PC crawls into what seems like a sheltered forest glade to sleep off his drunk.  Unfortunately, this is in reality a greenhouse owned by a deranged gardener who is growing (roll d6) 1 – lotus (determine color at random), 2 – lotus women, 3 – yellow mold, 4 – green slime, 5 – russet mold, 6 – cilantro.

The Wrong Keg: The PC accidentally drinks an alchemical concoction and must find an antidote in 2d6+1 days; otherwise he explodes in a 6d6 fireball and dies instantly.  If the antidote is found in time, the PC loses half his current hit points and vomits an equal number of pounds of gold.

Dream Date: The PC meets a gorgeous, witty, vibrant member of the preferred sex who shows an avid interest in him.  It probably doesn’t need to be mentioned that this is a succubus, incubus, or vampire (or worse, if the referee can think of something worse).

Long Holiday: The PC is kidnapped by ghouls and stashed in a mausoleum, crypt, or dry well for consumption in 1d3 nights.  The ghoulish larder also contains their treasure and 1d4-1 other captives worth ransoming.

Got a Grip: The PC is cursed with a vulture claw after unknowingly insulting a powerful sorcerer.  Randomly determine which hand; if this is the weapon hand, the PC is -4 to hit until the curse is removed, but can also claw for 1d4 damage.

Reigning Champion: The PC is challenged to a drinking contest by the ghost of notorious Port Zangerios debauchee Captain Morgan.  The PC must roll an extraordinary feat of constitution to outdrink the hollow-legged specter.  If the PC wins, he finds a map to fabulous pirate treasure in his pocket the next morning.  If the PC loses, he remains in an alcoholic coma for 1d3 days and must pass a trauma survival check to avoid death.

Under New Management: The PC seems like a new man after his wild night.  That’s because he’s been possessed by a demon (or a sorcerer using the magic jar spell).

Killer Ink: The PC has a brand new tattoo; how it got there, he hasn’t a clue.  This “tattoo” is actually a parasitical alien life form (similar to a colour out of space) which will leave the PC’s arm as he sleeps and wreak havoc.  It doesn’t harm its host.

In the Navy: The PC has been shanghaied by Ixian slavers and is headed for an unknown destination as an unwilling oarsmen.  Some of the other rowers are no longer living men, and some never were.

Theological Debate: The PC gets into a protracted drunken disputation about religion or politics with a mysterious drinking companion, and actually wins the point.  Unfortunately the other drunk is the god Rel (or similar deity) in disguise.  Annoyed at losing the argument, he puts a geas on the PC.  The geas is as obnoxious as the referee can possibly make it, but if the PC fulfills it he gains a rich treasure in tribute to his debating skills.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/07/2016 12:11 pm  #2

Re: EXTRA SPICY Drunken Debauchery!

Those are great - an adventure seed in each one.   Makes me think that would be one way to run a campaign - between adventures just have everyone (or designate one person per session) roll on a table like that and the DM has to take it from there (To avoid putting the DM on the spot totally it would be done at the end of one session with everyone knowing the setup -the obvious parts at least - and the DM having time to pull some notes together). It would in effect be a bit like how the Rockford Files or other similar episodic/non serial style TV series puts together a story every week or closer to the inspiration for the game how a lot of old Conan comics work.

9/12/2016 6:15 pm  #3

lige wrote:

Those are great - an adventure seed in each one. Makes me think that would be one way to run a campaign - between adventures just have everyone (or designate one person per session) roll on a table like that and the DM has to take it from there (To avoid putting the DM on the spot totally it would be done at the end of one session with everyone knowing the setup -the obvious parts at least - and the DM having time to pull some notes together). It would in effect be a bit like how the Rockford Files or other similar episodic/non serial style TV series puts together a story every week or closer to the inspiration for the game how a lot of old Conan comics work.

That's how I like to run my campaigns.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/22/2016 9:32 am  #4

I feel like "wrong" is a little judgmental. Can't we say "The Other Keg"? I mean, some people like fireballs!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.