!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2016 9:35 am  #1

Latest gaming purchase?

Finally bought myself another OD&D 5th print (hobbits, ents). I gave my last one to capitalbill in exchange for my share of the NTRPG Con room expense a couple of years ago. 

Anyone else get any new gaming stuff lately?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/03/2016 9:54 am  #2

Re: Latest gaming purchase?

Recent Lulu purchase when the coupons aligned:

2 of Barbarians of Lemuria: Legendary Edition by Simon Washbourne (Printed)
1 of Dodecahedron 2015 Cartographic Review by Dyson Logos (Printed)
1 of Bad Myrmidon by Rafael Chandler (Printed)
1 of Petty Gods: Revised & Expanded Edition (Casewrap Hardback) by Old-school Role-playing Community and Greg Gorgonmilk  (ORC) (Printed)
1 of Deep Carbon Observatory by Patrick Stuart and Scrap Princess (Printed) (for some reason I have only the PDF)
1 of Gormand's Larder by Cédric Plante  (Printed)
1 of Doodle Temple by Cédric Plante (Printed)

Maze of the Blue Medusa by Patrick Stuart and Zak S. (PDF in hand; waiting on print)

A Random Encounter issues 1, 2.

The Black Hack (Kickstarter)

Dark Naga's Lost Temple of Forgotten Evil (KS)

DCC 4th printing (KS)

The Mystery at Port Greeley by Jeff (KS)

Cyberpunk 2020 (used)

Marvel Super Heroes adventures (used)

Many Gates of the Gann by Guy Fullerton (at GaryCon, print--had the PDF)

I think that covers the year so far. Except maybe some PWYW and free stuff on DTRPG.

5/03/2016 9:55 am  #3

Daaaaaaamn!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/03/2016 10:00 am  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

Daaaaaaamn!

Haven't had a cigarette in three weeks. All that tobacco money has to go somewhere!

5/03/2016 10:15 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

1 of Petty Gods: Revised & Expanded Edition (Casewrap Hardback) by Old-school Role-playing Community and Greg Gorgonmilk  (ORC) (Printed)
1 of Deep Carbon Observatory by Patrick Stuart and Scrap Princess (Printed) (for some reason I have only the PDF)

Maze of the Blue Medusa by Patrick Stuart and Zak S. (PDF in hand; waiting on print)

DCC 4th printing (KS)

Cyberpunk 2020 (used)

I think that covers the year so far. Except maybe some PWYW and free stuff on DTRPG.

Kickstarted the BOL.  Love that game!
Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures http://www.flatlandgames.com/btw/
Kickstarted DCC 4th
Crom help me I bit on the Conan RPG by Modipheus
Kickstarted The Belly of the Beast as well https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sigilstonepublishing/belly-of-the-beast-rpg

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/03/2016 10:35 am  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

Kickstarted DCC 4th
Kickstarted The Belly of the Beast as well https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sigilstonepublishing/belly-of-the-beast-rpg

I have been meaning to check out Beyond the Wall. I decided against the Conan RPG. Seemed like the only thing it was offering that I wanted was more info on Howard and Hyboria, which I can get in other places. I did, however, back a *mammoth* Conan board game some time last year. Still waiting on that one. Will check out Belly of the Beast.

5/03/2016 2:12 pm  #7

For Gold & Glory, which is a 2nd ed OSR clone.  The hardback on DriveThru struck me as well priced.  The book looks really thorough, and is a good looking product - nice design (classic artwork) and is well set out.   I never got into 2e back in the day, but I could not resist this (and am very happy to have succumbed to this temptation...)

​R

5/03/2016 2:20 pm  #8

I got this new and interesting game called Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea the other day... looking forward to giving it a go...  

And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing about that Conan Board Game as well - though, I'll admit, its more just for the miniatures than the actual game.

5/03/2016 2:23 pm  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Kickstarted DCC 4th

I have been meaning to check out Beyond the Wall. I decided against the Conan RPG. Seemed like the only thing it was offering that I wanted was more info on Howard and Hyboria, which I can get in other places. I did, however, back a *mammoth* Conan board game some time last year. Still waiting on that one. Will check out Belly of the Beast.

Given time, I would like to use the play book style of character creation for ASSH from Beyond the Wall. For new folks it starts them with a relevant story and feel for the campaign.  I'm waiting on that same board game.

While in my soul forever

5/03/2016 2:25 pm  #10

Tentacled Horror wrote:

I got this new and interesting game called Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea the other day... looking forward to giving it a go...  

And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing about that Conan Board Game as well - though, I'll admit, its more just for the miniatures than the actual game.

Have that same one....hasn't played out yet!!

While in my soul forever

5/03/2016 4:12 pm  #11

mabon5127 wrote:

Given time, I would like to use the play book style of character creation for ASSH from Beyond the Wall. For new folks it starts them with a relevant story and feel for the campaign.

Hot damn, I had that same idea...and actually used it for one of my players: she still talks about how cool it was.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/03/2016 4:21 pm  #12

Handy Haversack wrote:

DCC 4th printing (KS)

Cyberpunk 2020 (used)

You, sir, win.

But for a distant runners-up slot:
White Star (w/sundry supplements): my 10-year old wants to play a Jedi and I can't bring myself to use the FFG version. Throw in Dorsai, E.E. 'Doc' Smith and Dune inspirations and voila: non-sensical Space Opera.
Guardians: will use this for my Guardians of Atlantis campaign, wherein the PC's are demigods of various immortals during the destruction of Atlantis (loosely inspired by Lords of Atlantis).
Warriors of the Red Planet: a beautiful take on the Sword & Planet genre.
AS&SH 2nd Printing Deluxe Hardback in Yithian hide:...you know it should happen 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

5/04/2016 7:58 am  #13

Warriors of the Red Planet has definitely been tempting me. It's really good?

The sad thing is that I really have time only for my AS&SH game and maybe one G+ game. So everything I get is inspiration or, hopefully, material for AS&SH. Entire other games are nonutilitarian. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I guess it's just latent Calvinism making me feel guilty.

5/04/2016 8:14 am  #14

Handy Haversack wrote:

The sad thing is that I really have time only for my AS&SH game and maybe one G+ game. So everything I get is inspiration or, hopefully, material for AS&SH. Entire other games are nonutilitarian. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I guess it's just latent Calvinism making me feel guilty.

I took a mental break from ASSH during the summer last year and ran Warriors of the Red Planet.  It was a blast! Great amount of Sword and Planet stuffed into one small tome. The players had quite an adjustment to make from Sword and sorcery sensibilities to Sword and Planet / Mars mores.

While in my soul forever

5/04/2016 8:30 am  #15

Handy Haversack wrote:

Well, I don't have Actual Play Experience, but yes it's good: looks to be most closely based on Swords & Wizardry, with lots of cool random tables for a S&P campaign. Guardians (also by Night Owl) is similarly economical in it's approach.

And I hear you on the "other games": I'm down to xD&D, Classic Traveller and BRP. Tried hundreds of other games over the decades, but no time for the Next Big Thing. 

5/04/2016 8:31 am  #16

I just bought a bunch of Traveller stuff on ebay: all the books, all the supplements, and a couple adventures so far.  My goal is to collect everything published for Classic Traveller, including the board games.

(The bad part is I already have all this material on the $35 CD-ROM from FFE.  But I really like physical books...)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/04/2016 8:39 am  #17

I've actually run more CT than xD&D in the last few years, and my advice is "less is more": since you have the FFE CD's (as do I: they're beyond awesome) take a look at the 1977 version of CT, unless you're wedded to the Third Imperium. And take a gander at Tales to Astound: he's got some great analysis of the significant differences from 1977 to 1981 in his "Traveller Out of the Box" posts.

5/04/2016 8:42 am  #18

rhialto wrote:

I've actually run more CT than xD&D in the last few years, and my advice is "less is more": since you have the FFE CD's (as do I: they're beyond awesome) take a look at the 1977 version of CT, unless you're wedded to the Third Imperium. And take a gander at Tales to Astound: he's got some great analysis of the significant differences from 1977 to 1981 in his "Traveller Out of the Box" posts.

I have LBBs 0-4. Does one need more than that?

5/04/2016 8:47 am  #19

Handy Haversack wrote:

rhialto wrote:

No, though the version (1977 vs. 1981) will make a difference: essentially the difference between "DIY" setting vs. "Third Imperium", and all that implies. And Book 4 uses a much different chargen process, which isn't really compatible with Book 1.

5/04/2016 8:51 am  #20

Handy Haversack wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Hahahaha!  Need....

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.