!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2016 1:30 pm  #1

Adventure Layout

Here's a really interesting post from Patrick Stuart (Fire on the Velvet Horizon, Deep Carbon Observatory, Maze of the Blue Medusa) on layout in adventure publishing:

http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-adventure-stanza.html

I've been thinking about this a lot, how to maximize utility and appeal so that the layout contributes to the gameplay. I think, for example, that Ghost Ship did a great job with the smaller maps in the "dungeon" area, which really decreased the amount of flipping around or squinting at the larger map needed in each section of encounter areas.

Maze of the Blue Medusa (http://satyr.press/) has an amazing layout, and early reports say it plays really smoothly.

Getting this stuff right seems to require a *lot* of trust and planning and cooperation among writer, designer, cartographer, and layout person. But when it works it makes such a huge difference.

4/11/2016 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Adventure Layout

Handy Haversack wrote:

Getting this stuff right seems to require a *lot* of trust and planning and cooperation among writer, designer, cartographer, and layout person. But when it works it makes such a huge difference.

Ghost Ship was easy, because Jeff wore three of those four hats himself. Now, I'm not saying there weren't still trust issues, but the details are between Jeff and his therapist.

​EDIT: Curiously, the first time I tried to reply in this thread, my keyboard input was literally reversed (...ysae saw pihS tsohG). Weird...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.