!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2014 10:21 pm  #1

Starter Adventures

The B1 variant posted here is wonderful.
Any other suggestions for existing or adaptable Swords-&-Sorcery-flavored adventures for level 1 characters?

3/13/2014 3:40 am  #2

Re: Starter Adventures

Maezar wrote:

Any other suggestions for existing or adaptable Swords-&-Sorcery-flavored adventures for level 1 characters?

The hardest thing is to find pre-published adventures that aren't heavily monster-centric. I also don't do too much pseudo-medieval European fantasy so I wouldn't want to drop B2 into my campaign. I think the Saltmarsh series is easily adapted. Instead of lizard-men and Sahuaghin I'd make them something a tad more Lovecraftian. (I had plans to make the Saltmarsh series into a greyhawk/Lovecraft mix).

3/13/2014 7:50 am  #3

JasonZavoda wrote:

Maezar wrote:

The hardest thing is to find pre-published adventures that aren't heavily monster-centric. I also don't do too much pseudo-medieval European fantasy so I wouldn't want to drop B2 into my campaign. I think the Saltmarsh series is easily adapted. Instead of lizard-men and Sahuaghin I'd make them something a tad more Lovecraftian. (I had plans to make the Saltmarsh series into a greyhawk/Lovecraft mix).

That's an excellent idea. Those mods are really, um, modular. They fit so well into any campaign, esp. if you take the time to give Saltmarsh a personality and set it up as an ongoing base. Worked really well in our second-to-last AD&D game, and it would work well for AS&SH.

There was a thread on Dragonsfoot wherein people posted ideas for modules that would fit well:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60645

For our first game, I used a One-Page Dungeon Contest winner from 2012. I bet the adventures for the ASE world on Dungeon of Signs could be adapted easily. And, as Ghul says, ASE works, too.

3/13/2014 9:21 am  #4

B4 (The Lost City) is a good one, based as it is on the Conan story "Red Nails".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/13/2014 5:53 pm  #5

I like the Saltmarsh idea. Sahuagin easily could be ported to the Hyperborea setting. The old standby "Citadel by the Sea" would work well, too; just change the Gruumsh references to Thaumagorga and the elves to Hyperboreans. Jeff's own "Rats in the Walls" from Knockspell #4 is designed for 1st-level characters, and we have a couple more introductory adventures in the pipeline.

3/14/2014 6:31 am  #6

Vile Worm of the Eldritch Oak is one that I enjoyed using for a group of new characters. Forgive me, but I can't find a link that is not Pathfinder related. But it was written for ODD originally, and adapted to PF, so don't worry about the 3E stuff.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/03/2014 12:41 pm  #7

Wicked Fantasy Factory had a couple cool low level adventures that were for 3.5 D&D but would pretty easily port over to an AS&SH game. I think they were through Goodman Games.

7/05/2014 1:00 pm  #8

You can use The Marmoreal Tomb of Garn Pat'uul, the module I authored with Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. for Gygax Magazine, published in Issue #3, as an Hyperborean game starter for level 1-3 with AS&SH. We are going to publish an expanded version with an additional dungeon level and more with GP Adventures. It needs some little shifts to make it work: I'll explain all that in a thread in the General Discussion forum.

Last edited by Benoist (7/05/2014 1:01 pm)

7/05/2014 6:10 pm  #9

Started the thread adapting GP's stuff to AS&SH here.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.