!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2016 9:01 am  #1

NPCs of Note

[We should have a thread that will act as a Rogues Gallery. Put your cool NPCs here.]
Theogamous, the Godspouse

Theogamous, the Godspouse, carries strange luck. Theogamous is tall and spare, black haired and brown eyed, harsh Kimmerian features softened somewhat by a focus beyond the immediate world. Theogamous' head is shaved except for a top knot that extends into a long queue. Theogamous wears a long kilt of undyed wool and a cloak made from an auroch's skin, the interior a silk brocade of spiders and lotus blossoms.

Theogamous might join an adventuring party for a time, though in every new town or settlement entered, there is a 2:6 chance Theogamous will choose to remain for a time, consecrating some broken bond. Theogamous is the connection, the ceremony that proves the link between the gods and the people of Hyperborea.

The luck of Theogamous protects from random attack. When a party member is to be randomly targeted and the dice indicate Theogamous, roll d6. On 1-3, someone else is targeted.

Sample dialogue:
Deep in the grove of sacred oaks, I am the staff and the water, the King of the Wood, husband to Artemis when the hunt is over and the blood is high.
I am the corn and the silence.
I am the hand that holds.
I sweat in disease and glory, bride to the Sun, Apollo drawing me taut as a strung bow.
In the unbroken darkness of the world's center, Xathoqqua's sacred tongue enwraps me and I am the voice of its secrets and the dark of its demands.
I am the ground that knows the lightning when Aurorus strikes, the flash in the mind, thrice wedded, thrice taken, thrice lashed.
I am bride of Ymir, bride of Ullr, and know in them exalation of waste and the bitter freedom of exile.
In the center of the cosmos, blind idiot pipers blow me out with their breath and I am made one with the Chaos I name only in in my completion.
The dogs of Cerunnos tear me, his horns lay me open, and I flow into the Earth, grow in Yoon-Deh's embrace, between the sky and the ground I am the heat that rises.
I am the knot in the cord, the end of the ring.

Theogamous, the Godspouse
Priest
Kimmerian
Lvl. 3
AL: N (really, all)

S 9
D 9
C 13
I 11
W 15
Ch 15

Spells known (* = memorized. 1st-4; 2nd-3): Bless*, Bless Oil or Water, Ceremony of Consecration*, Cure Light Wounds*, Omen*, Perceive Disguise, Precipitate, Sanctuary; Augury*, Cure Moderate Wounds*, Enthral*, Serpent Charm.

HP 13
AC 9 (Unarmored)

Weapons: Unshod oak quarterstaff (+1 AC in melee), fine nine-tailed leather whip.

4/19/2016 8:24 am  #2

Re: NPCs of Note

Abragos Amaiakos, Mountebank

Abragos ran his luck to its thinnest edge in Khromarium and escaped just as the baleful gaze of the Entowered was ponderously swinging his way. The Ixian survived a running series of cons, heists, and power grabs across land and sea with nothing but his wits, his charm, and his Chaos Monk muscle, Fell Contos -- and the occasional well-placed falcata blade. He was run out of Gal City after stealing enough ink to craft several scrolls, and he and Fell spent desperate days in the ghoul-infested area around Gold Hill before their luck finally turned. Abragos managed to captivate the leader of a clan of wild berserkers. These he led to a swampy area past Dunwich, knowing that the violet lotuses would be blooming. He used the seed pods to addict and pacify his berserkers while he decided where best to use them.

Sample dialogue:
--My control over these beasts is imperfect, friend. I suggest you leave your gear on the ground and then just leave.
--Fell! Stop kicking things and listen!
--I would like to solve this problem by making it yours.

Abragos Amaiakos
Mountebank
Ixian
Lvl. 5
AL: CE
Languages: Common, Ixian, Keltic, Thieves Cant
6'1", 170#
Black hair (shaved), black eyes. Intense, mesmerizing gaze, winning smile.

S 9
D 15
C 11
I 16
W 9
Ch 14

Spells (* = memorized. 1st-3; 2nd-2; 3rd-1): Hypnotism*, Mirror Image*, Scare; Captivate*, Invisibility*; Illusory Wall of Fire*.

HP 26
AC 4 (leather +1, small shield)
SV 14 (Avoidance +2, Sorcery +2, DEX +1)

--Spellbook
--Scrolls: Scare, Invisibility, Invisibility
--The Shield Hand: Small shield crafted of interlocking severed human hands, still bloody at the wrists. At the first melee attack with a weapon that would hit the bearer, a hand animates, grabs the weapon, and yanks it away. Extraordinary feat of STR to maintain grip.
--Death Soldier's Muster: These razor-sharp falcatas have bone hilts, and the blades bear deep fullers that never are completely free of dried blood. They are +1 weapons, but (my players, don't look)

when wielded by death soldiers (necromantic warlocks), their full powers are released. They perform as +2 weapons and add 3 to the death soldier’s DEX for purposes of determining who strikes first on his side or in situations of tied initiative. Any creature killed by the muster rises as a zombie in one turn and will serve the death soldier for the remainder of the session or one day, whichever is shorter.

--Backpack, bandages, blanket, ink & quill, grappling hook, 50' silk rope, thief tools, wineskin, 1 wk, iron rations, small sack
--28 wild berserkers and 1 captivated subchief

4/19/2016 8:52 am  #3

Fell Contos, Chaos Monk!
You do not want to mess with him, bro. He's chilling with his boy Abragos, city, country, town, swamp, this s*** does not matter to old Fell. He can make his dojo anywhere -- basement, dungeon, bog, whatever, man. The way of the warrior, bro. Bushido. You seen those ads, right, bro? You see this? You see these muscles? Crossfit, bro. Seriously. He punches rope. Rope, man! That is some ancient powerful s***. Abragos does the details, old Fell does the ass kicking. Psychedelic cannibal pemmican pinatas? Protein, bro.

Sample dialogue:
--Cool head, bro. Too bad I'm gonna kick it. Too bad for you, bro!

Fell Contos
Chaos Monk!
Common
Lvl. 6
AL: CHAOS, MAN!
Languages: Common, some Japanese, Ixian (because those guys are badass!)
6'3", 205#
Dark blond hair, lt. brown eyes. Mullet! Shirtless! Nun-chucks! Big nose, limp hair.

S 14
D 15
C 15
I 13
W 8
Ch 7

--Uses crit. table for fighters
--Block missile attacks (6/rnd. w/Avoidance save)
--+2 to saves vs. mind-affecting spells. He knows who he is, bro
--Speak with fungi. See the universe, man
--FLIP! over opponent in combat -- KIAI!
--Heal 12 HP 1/day
--Confusion 1/day, centered on self

HP 26
AC 5 (DEX and class)
SV 14 (Avoidance +2, Transformation +2, mind-affecting +2, DEX +1)

--Pants. No shirt. Just pants.
--Nun-chucks [sic]! (as horseman's flail)
--Shurikens! (X12) (as darts)
--Holy water
--Backpack, bandages, blanket, 50' silk rope, tinderbox, 3 torches, wineskin, writing stick

5/19/2016 9:02 am  #4

I think there's probably room to stick this guy in an adventure:

"Abaris was a Hyperborean priest of Apollo, known as the god of healing. The Hyperboreans were people in Greek legend who lived “beyond the north wind.” Since Boreas, the god of the north wind, lived in Thrace, the Hyperborean reference identifies Abaris as a man who comes from a region north of Thrace, from the Central Asian highlands. The stories surrounding Abaris, including his travel on the wind via a golden arrow, suggest that he was a shaman from Mongolia who journeyed around Greece healing people and chasing away epidemics. His nickname was Aethrobates (Airwalker)."
--The Gnostic New Age (Columbia University Press, forthcoming)

5/19/2016 5:52 pm  #5

This one is new to me. Can you tell me more about the forthcoming book? A lot of my Hyperborea info comes from Herodotus: The Histories

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/20/2016 8:21 am  #6

Ghul wrote:

This one is new to me. Can you tell me more about the forthcoming book? A lot of my Hyperborea info comes from Herodotus: The Histories

Jeff, I'm not sure *this* book has broad application to AS&SH, but some of its sources certainly do. The Hyperborean Airwalker, apparently, was a teacher of Pyhtagoras (to whom he gave his arrow!), Aristeas, Epedocles, Parmenides, and Epimenides. So for primary sources, there's that. Also, Carl Ruck, "Classical World Shamanism (Ancient Greece and Rome)," in Shamanism: An Encyclopedia of World Beliefs, Practices, and Cultures, vol. 1, ed. Walter and Neumann (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO); Walter Burkett, Lore and Science in Ancient Pythogreanism (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1972); Gary Edson, Shamanism: A Cross-Cultural Study of Beliefs and Practices (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2009); Michael Winkelman, Shamans, Priests, and Witches: A Cross-Cultural Study of Magico-Religious Practioners, Anthropological Research Papers 44 (Tempe: Arizona State University). So, interlibrary loan!

Also, I have recently realized that keeping The Golden Bough on hand is really useful. It's maybe not worth it to read it cover to cover, but even just browsing the index and flipping to interesting parts has helped my game.

And I just read Plutarch on Sparta. Those guys were nuts. Definitely room for a Spartan enclave in Hyperborea. 

5/20/2016 9:54 am  #7

OK, maybe it has *some* application:

"Initiates would be forced to participate in physical exercise far more strenuous than they might normally engage in, such as carrying a struggling piglet twenty-seven miles to the sea until the initiate is absolutely exhausted. They might be deprived of sleep, given special drink, stripped and reclothed, masked with animal faces, drugged or otherwise intoxicated, held in isolation, branded, or castrated."

Um, happy Apollonalia?

5/20/2016 12:25 pm  #8

And now we know where Handy gets his crazy shaman ideas...

What? Me worry?

5/20/2016 1:22 pm  #9

gizmomathboy wrote:

And now we know where Handy gets his crazy shaman ideas...

You just made the piglet's list, gizmo!

5/21/2016 4:51 am  #10

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, maybe it has *some* application:

"Initiates would be forced to participate in physical exercise far more strenuous than they might normally engage in, such as carrying a struggling piglet twenty-seven miles to the sea until the initiate is absolutely exhausted. They might be deprived of sleep, given special drink, stripped and reclothed, masked with animal faces, drugged or otherwise intoxicated, held in isolation, branded, or castrated."

Um, happy Apollonalia?

Guess we know where frat hazing originated now.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/21/2016 4:55 am  #11

Somewhat on-topic: just started listening to the "History on Fire" podcast. I find his accent charming, and he tells a good story, with some good NPC ideas (like the slave who was a "priest" and incited a slave revolt in Sicily). Don't ask me for the slave's name, the accent is charming but sometimes inscrutable.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.