photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2016 1:49 pm  #1

Is there an astrophysicist in the house?

I may have caused irreparable harm to my brain trying to figure out (if there even is any) the "tilt" of Hyperborea as compared to the it's rotation around Helios in order to create the 13 year cycle, throw in  Helios' +/- 25° setting and rising and those two moon cycles and you get a recipe for a blown frontal lobe.  

3/22/2016 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Is there an astrophysicist in the house?

Just usually go with "it's magic" and not try to sort out that weirdness. :-)

It's a flat plane in a aetheric void (can't be bothered to copy and paste the actual text) so astrophysics are right out.

Much like the climate in Westeros I'm assuming there is a higher power (or powers) at play.

What? Me worry?

3/22/2016 3:23 pm  #3

Keep in mind that Hyperborea only exists as it does because of the Great Obelisks.  It's more like a space station than a planet.  Based purely on its size, it shouldn't have Earth gravity or be able to hold its atmosphere, not to mention the weirdness with the waters that spill over the side somehow being recycled.  Astrophysics doesn't really come into it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

3/23/2016 8:02 am  #4

I would think that to much thought was put into the lunar, annual, and daily cycles for there not to be some sort of phenomenon to be going on, but you are correct on the space station aspect of it.  That brought to mind the movie "Dark City".  How far down does this rabbit hole go???? 

3/23/2016 1:10 pm  #5

Barnett1967 wrote:

I would think that to much thought was put into the lunar, annual, and daily cycles for there not to be some sort of phenomenon to be going on, but you are correct on the space station aspect of it.  That brought to mind the movie "Dark City".  How far down does this rabbit hole go???? 

They say the underside of Hyperborea has daemons and acid rivers.  But maybe that's what they want you to believe... http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/devious.png

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/23/2016 1:12 pm)

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

3/23/2016 2:39 pm  #6

Only one way to find out!

3/23/2016 5:43 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

Only one way to find out!

Yes. Watch for our upcoming Kickstarter, ​Hyperborea's Dirty under Where?

3/23/2016 7:14 pm  #8

There is a small amount of science mixed in with the weird: 

* Hyperborea is a distance from the sun that puts its orbit at 13 year
* Saturn is often in the night sky. (Are Hyperborea and Saturn bonded in some way?)
* There is just enough tilt to have our two extremes: a year of Midnight Sun, and a year of Polar Night. The reason for the seasons, as it were.

Use that as you choose in your own campaign -- and don't worry about making "logic" our of it, as noted above.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2016 North Wind Adventures, LLC.