!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2015 1:57 pm  #1

Xathoqqua worshipping populace question

Since Xathoqqua is the "principal being of worship in all of Hyperborea" and a chaotic one at that, like many of the deities of Hyperborea, I was wondering how common worshipers serve or give tribute to him. Does worship of Xathoqqua make them more prone to murder, thievery and other wicked acts or are they simply going along with the status quo and living normal lives and just pray or honor the toad God? Was wondering how others interpret the common populace worshipping such a diety.

11/14/2015 2:07 pm  #2

Re: Xathoqqua worshipping populace question

I tend to go more with the latter than the former, personally, but this is totally up to you! I wonder how others will respond . . .

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/14/2015 8:11 pm  #3

My personal take is that Xathoqqua's influence makes the populace somewhat more cynical, selfish, and slothful (much like the usual inhabitants of sword & sorcery milieus).  They're not running around filling the alleys with corpses.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/14/2015 8:11 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/15/2015 12:05 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

They're not running around filling the alleys with corpses.

Well, not all of them, anyway.

11/16/2015 9:47 am  #5

DMPrata wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

They're not running around filling the alleys with corpses.

Well, not all of them, anyway.

Pretty much my take as well, but with the added caveat that I try to keep the historical situation in mind: there just aren't that many people in Hyperborea. And among the heavier concentrations, only Khromarium and a few others don't have some other predominant deity specified. But there are probably thousands of shrines out in the wilderness from when there were more people.

So, yes, the decadence that grew on the Hyperboreans now does show itself in a general "cynical, selfish, and slothful" MO. And there's probably nothing as organized as a Xathoqquan church, though local temples might be power players in whatever town or settlement. And I'm sure dark things lurk in time-haunted Khromarium.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.