!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2015 12:21 am  #1

Interesting non-fiction (periods, wars etc.)

Have been reading more non-fiction than fiction of late. Napoleon stuff, Frederick the Great, etc. Would like to read more about the War of the Roses and possibly the Crimean War and American Revolution. I was on a WWI kick for awhile. What period interests you?

On a related note here is a pic of a game I played in this eve.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

10/10/2015 6:34 am  #2

Re: Interesting non-fiction (periods, wars etc.)

I've been reading the Sagas lately:

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/10/2015 9:26 am  #3

^
I read that book last year - same cover and everything.  I love how the characters who from the beginning of the saga are often dead by the halfway point, and the rest is their relatives revenge-murdering each other.  Good stuff.

My favorite periods are the Bronze Age and Classical periods, particularly the Roman Republic and Empire.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/10/2015 10:57 am  #4

Oh, great, just give the whole thing away! Haha, I kid. I read a different version years ago, and I found the translation stilted and lacking. Revenge is excellent. Blood for blood!  Like in REH's "Red Nails" when one guard asks another what they will do after the feud is ended, and he had no idea, because he knew nothing besides the feud. Thinking beyond it was an impossibility.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/16/2015 2:24 pm  #5

For me, its late antiquity and the early medieval period, basically from the Roman Empire through the Viking Age and maybe a little beyond. Medieval and Early Modern Japan are another focus of mine.

I have an older, hardcover version of the Sagas of the Icelanders, I love that stuff as much as you guys do. Great book.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.