!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2015 10:40 am  #1

Nerd stuff in Chicago

Hyperboreanders,

I'm heading to Chicago for the weekend. Any cool recommendations for nerdy/fun stuff to do there? Also, where's the good Mexican food?

9/29/2015 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Nerd stuff in Chicago

The museum of science and industry is nice. I think they still have a german u-boat on display there.

Get a chicago style deep dish of course. Find a decent italian beef. Ask for it wet. :-)

Francisca probably has more info than I. I think there is a science/lab supply house he likes to stop by on the way through there when he heads to  places further north.

What? Me worry?

9/30/2015 12:33 am  #3

Bars open till 4am (at least they were when I was in College many moons ere'), great hot dogs, Sorry I'm not much help but have a fun time

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

9/30/2015 7:37 am  #4

Chicagoland Games (Dice Dojo) is a nice game store with a pretty good selection of used and new RPGs.  Def not just a Magic/Games Workshop/Pathfinder outlet.

The Art Institute has a nice collection of pole arms (some other stuff as well I hear).  I also like just wandering around downtown looking at buildings.

Last edited by lige (9/30/2015 10:41 am)

10/21/2015 1:36 pm  #5

We took your advice, lige! It was a good way to get out in the neighborhoods, having a destination. We talked with the owner for a while, who was a cool guy, and picked up some dice. I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of other things, but I had packed light. He also directed us to a nearby bar, which was very convenient. There was a lot of the Star Wars miniature skirmish game going on at the gaming tables.

The Art Institute's arms and weapons collection was mostly not on display. They claim they're building a bigger area for it. It was one of the major moments of NYC snobbery I experienced on the trip. At the Met, there's a combination gun/cleaver/calendar that I could look at for hours!

10/22/2015 12:31 pm  #6

Glad you made it out there!  It is a bit of trek from downtown Chicago so you definitely get to see a bit of the city!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.