!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2014 8:59 pm  #1

Rule Questions

Greetings,

I have a few simple rule questions. I might easily judge these myself, but I'm wondering if there are official answers. Thanks!

1. Necromancers may not be of good alignment. Is the same true for Warlocks or Shamans who practice necromancy?

2. How frequently can a monk "Simulate Death"?

3/10/2014 7:17 am  #2

Re: Rule Questions

Maezar wrote:

Greetings,

I have a few simple rule questions. I might easily judge these myself, but I'm wondering if there are official answers. Thanks!

1. Necromancers may not be of good alignment. Is the same true for Warlocks or Shamans who practice necromancy?

2. How frequently can a monk "Simulate Death"?

I'm sure you are looking for something official, alas this is only my opinion.  Given you are the GM I would say its up to you.  Perhaps only dabbling in death magic allows some room for a good alignment, or maybe any taint of this type of magic damns the soul! 

As for the monk I would let them simulate death as often as they wanted.  Though too often and they may earn the nick name "Possum"!

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/10/2014 8:18 am  #3

I also agreed that the first was up to role-play. Imagine a Shaman who is primarily Druidic but accidentally discovers necromancy... Or a good warlock who studies the dark art to defeat and understand its practioners.

But then, in that regard, why not the same thing for a straight-up necro? Any restrictions on alignment can be bent (remember the Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil Paladins in Dragon mag?) but in the sense that the rules define the campaign setting, I'd be curious about the author's thoughts.

3/10/2014 4:01 pm  #4

It is my opinion that there really can be no "Good" practitioners of necromancy, the darkest most foul art of them all; at best one is "Neutral", but topics of alignment have been in disagreement since probably 1974.

Monks simulating death: What I would do is look at the total turns they are able to simulate. It can be broken up into more than one instance.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/10/2014 4:54 pm  #5

Personally I would allow a CG shaman to practice necromancy because IMO shamans have a "friendly" relationship with spirits of the dead.  In other words, the dead choose to aid them; the shamans don't rip them from their tombs and enslave them as actual necromancers do.  But that's just my interpretation.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/10/2014 5:01 pm  #6

Blackadder23 wrote:

Personally I would allow a CG shaman to practice necromancy because IMO shamans have a "friendly" relationship with spirits of the dead.  In other words, the dead choose to aid them; the shamans don't rip them from their tombs and enslave them as actual necromancers do.  But that's just my interpretation.

Well, if that were the case, and if it was what the player really wanted, we'd have to take a hard look at some of the spells and say certain ones can't possibly be evoked without affecting alignment. IMC, of course.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/10/2014 10:34 pm  #7

Ghul wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Well, if that were the case, and if it was what the player really wanted, we'd have to take a hard look at some of the spells and say certain ones can't possibly be evoked without affecting alignment. IMC, of course.

Yeah, my take (on your game!) so far is that necromancy is basically antithetical to life. Think the standard of the Granbreton baron in the Hawkmoon books: black letters on a black field proclaiming death to life! Shamans, druids, they might all be really weird and not value individual human lives necessarily, but they are basically life-positive professions, at least at some angle, whether clan, tribe, or animal. Necromancers serve a realm of silence.

3/11/2014 8:51 am  #8

Ghul wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Death Masque pops to mind.

While in my soul forever

3/11/2014 9:31 am  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Yeah, my take (on your game!) so far is that necromancy is basically antithetical to life. Think the standard of the Granbreton baron in the Hawkmoon books: black letters on a black field proclaiming death to life! Shamans, druids, they might all be really weird and not value individual human lives necessarily, but they are basically life-positive professions, at least at some angle, whether clan, tribe, or animal. Necromancers serve a realm of silence.

To me it's the creepiness factor.  The shaman has some benefit to the locals and so dipping into death magics may be forgiven.  The necromancer will not be liked regardless of his alignment and would probably find himself on the wrong end of a rope. 

There is no demon summoning class in the book so I use this as my truly evil type of sorcerer and hand wave specifics.  They start as something else such as a necromancer, and sign greater pacts with evil servants of Thaumagorga.  They don't adventure nor do they make great companions so I keep them as NPCs and background villains.

While in my soul forever

3/11/2014 10:51 am  #10

It's purely hypothetical anyway because I haven't had anyone express the slightest interest in playing a shaman  With respect to warlocks, I would require them to conform to the alignment restrictions of their school of sorcery.  So fire lords must be Chaotic and death lords cannot be Good.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.