!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2015 4:06 am  #1

Web spell and insta-kill

I have been having some rules discussions with my group, and seek sage wisdom. Web spell: can an entrapped victim be killed (coup de grace) over a round as per AD&D, do you roll damage with no attack roll required, or do you have to roll as normal but with a bonus to attack? I vaguely remember reading about this in the AS&SH rules but I cannot remember. Upon reading the spell description I still cannot be sure. What say ye?

I personally like the lethality of insta-kill (if I'm on the ref's side of the screen  ). 

6/30/2015 5:53 am  #2

Re: Web spell and insta-kill

Take a look a p. 206 in the PM. You'll notice that the descriptions for "prone" and "defenceless" (for the defender) both include a description that includes the word "bound". This is by intent. In the case of web, I tend to go with defenceless if we are talking about jabbing with a spear, but if you are throwing knives or shooting, I might go with "prone". Now, there is a grey area in this, too. One (with 9+ ST) can break out of web over time. If they are strong or robust, and they are struggling their way out (maybe they are 1 or 2 rounds away from breaking free), then I go with prone. That's how I play it.

Oh, sometimes I have to quickly dice for a monster's ST if I think they might be inclined to attempt to break free. It will typically be a 3d6 roll; or (sometimes) 4d6 drop low or even 4d6 drop high. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/30/2015 6:02 am  #3

Thanks Jeff.

6/30/2015 6:04 am  #4

Rastus_Burne wrote:

What say ye?

Situational for me. If an opponent has been trapped near an edge of the web accessible to the PCs, then he can be stabbed and killed immediately (with the right weapon, like a spear). If he's trapped near an inaccessible side (maybe next to a wall) or in the middle, he's effectively shielded from attack. In the latter case, if the PCs burn the web, they can plan to attack the opponent as it burns away, thereby killing him. Sometimes they may not want to burn the web, though, such as if it's blocking dozens of other opponents from accessing the PCs, so the opponent would probably live here, simply trapped for the spell's duration.

Where the opponent gets trapped in the web is also situational - did he just barely miss his saving throw? Are there other situational determinants? That sort of thing. I also might determine it randomly if there are no obvious influences.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/30/2015 6:22 am  #5

Thanks man, that sounds reasonable.

6/30/2015 6:31 am  #6

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Sure. I responded before seeing Jeff's response, so I would defer to him.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/30/2015 11:32 am  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Sure. I responded before seeing Jeff's response, so I would defer to him.

Both responses are similar, I think. Go with whatever you feel is best, Corey. 

Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/30/2015 2:52 pm  #8

I agree with my learned colleagues.  If enemies can reach the webbed victims, they can execute them with no roll.
When players of low level casters complain about their meager number of spells, it's worth pointing out that low level spells like sleep and web can be used to basically massacre a large number of foes.  The trick is saving them until they're really needed.  If the caster misjudges and uses his best spells too soon...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/30/2015 3:00 pm  #9

Speaking of massacre, I feel web in AS&SH needs a 5% cumulative chance of suffocation per turn.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/30/2015 3:00 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/30/2015 5:26 pm  #10

Blackadder23 wrote:

Speaking of massacre, I feel web in AS&SH needs a 5% cumulative chance of suffocation per turn.

That's a cool house rule.

6/30/2015 5:59 pm  #11

Rastus_Burne wrote:

I can't take credit.  It's from AD&D.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/30/2015 6:08 pm  #12

Blackadder23 wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

I can't take credit.  It's from AD&D.

No kidding! I don't recall reading that. You learn something new everyday.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.