!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2015 11:00 pm  #1

Help me construct a table

For AFS 7, the best entries (in my opinion) will get put in a d20 table. Thanks if you want to add ideas. Preferably a 2 sentence block of text.

Random reasons for robbing a Tomb

1. A hidden artifact, 'The Skull of Hastur' is rumoured to be buried with the corpse of the infamous Sorcerer Krigeon Akhbede. It needs to be destroyed at all costs.
2. Great wealth in the form of silver enscripted ingots is rumoured to be buried with the remains of the controversial Vicar Noladameous. It is unknown what the enscriptions mean or represent.

Last edited by Scalydemon (6/24/2015 11:05 pm)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/25/2015 12:55 pm  #2

Re: Help me construct a table

3. An ancestral weapon. The legendary weapon buried with your ancestor is needed to ward off an evil plaguing your family/tribe/village.

6/25/2015 1:57 pm  #3

4. The trap-ridden tomb of Khazmagra, the devilish lorekeeper supposedly contains multiple writings of astronomical nature. Notable are the mysterious scrolls describing a long-forgotten ritual to open a gateway to the farthest reaches of the cosmos.

5. The still beating heart of the demon Qrak'lagol in a metallic encasement unbreakable by mundane means. Any number of sorcerous rituals could be fueled by the power it holds.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (6/25/2015 2:03 pm)

6/25/2015 6:10 pm  #4

6. A bizarre, but powerful magician demands thirteen cyclops skulls from The Tomb of Thirteen Eyes as atonement for some perceived slight. He also insists they each contain thirteen black widows when delivered.

7. The Sword of Saturn sleeps somewhere in the burial chambers of an insect-like being from beyond the stars. It's said that whoever possesses this sword can travel freely among the planets, and even through time itself.

8. Three-hundred bottles of the finest wine lie hidden in the royal crypt below the palace, supposedly entombed to quench the thirst of the dead. The living thirst as well though, and many would pay handsomely for even one bottle.

9. No one has seen Sallus of the Red Pentangle since the last full moon, when he left for the bone-filled Worm's Den. Unfortunately, two of the king's daughters left with him and the king wants them back... but cares little for any other treasure contained therein.

10. Once every winter, the witch-queen opens her labyrinthine mausoleum to suitors deeming themselves worthy of her hand. Any fighting man who can return with the funerary amulet of the Skeleton Lord wins the right to sit by her side, for a time.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/25/2015 8:47 pm  #5

11.The visage of a weathered old man in a black hooded robe bid you come delve the tomb in a dream.

12.For three moons the dead have been restless and risen from the Ashen Dunes to crawl across the city walls, now the blind prophet has seen a vision of an ancient tomb in the heart of the wasteland.

6/25/2015 9:18 pm  #6

Streets of Valhalla! Cool stuff so far thanks

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/25/2015 10:13 pm  #7

An eldritch horror lies imprisoned in a bottomless vault, sealed beneath the earth by the hallowed bones of countless dead priests of the Sun God.  But when adventurers begin to disturb the carefully-laid pattern of those bones...

EDIT: I guess that's more of an "evil prank on the players" than a "reason to rob a tomb".  I never was very good at following directions.  Let me try again:

13. Adventurers hear the tale of the Sun Tomb, where countless priests sleep eternally shrouded in magical golden dust.  Little do they suspect that these hallowed bones are all that imprison an eldritch horror in a bottomless vault beneath the Tomb.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/26/2015 8:54 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/26/2015 9:02 am  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

EDIT: I guess that's more of an "evil prank on the players" than a "reason to rob a tomb".  I never was very good at following directions.  Let me try again:

I liked it, but I like eveything in this thread so far. Lots of good adventure hooks to sprinkle into campaigns.

6/26/2015 9:23 am  #9

Thanks!  Lots of good stuff here, that's for sure.

14. Dog-faced ghouls from the city tombs have thrice loped through the streets at night, snatching children from their homes.  It is conjectured that these children are being held deep inside the tombs for some ungodly purpose.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/26/2015 9:56 am  #10

15. When darkness takes Phobos and Selene, a portal to the Tomb of Ghosts appears, wherein Woon-kai, an ancient necromancer, has hidden many a priceless artifact from the realm of the dead. Be quick, thief, for anyone inside when night ends becomes a ghost, cursed to haunt the Tomb for eternity.

6/26/2015 10:11 am  #11

16. Deep below the waves, where nothing lives, the bloated bodies of myriad drowned sailors form the walls of a grotesque tomb for the sea's most infamous pirate lords. Too greedy to rest in peace, these lords spend their time counting and recounting the treasure of ten thousand ships lost, but they also watch for those who would steal it.

6/26/2015 11:49 am  #12

Let's get to 20! Come on, who's got another reason to rob a tomb?

6/26/2015 1:16 pm  #13

17. The players believe that they are hired by an old man to break into a tomb rumored to be the final resting spots of an ancient academy of mages to rob it of spoils. What the old man doesn't tell the party is that he is a a member of that academy nearing the end of his life and he plans on laying himself to rest within his own grave. Too bad for the party that he cannot let them leave.

6/26/2015 3:19 pm  #14

18. The Green Tiger, the largest emerald ever seen, is said to be buried somewhere in the Valley of Monarchs. It is reputed to be guarded by the restless undead, cruel traps, and malevolent spirits summoned from another world.

6/27/2015 9:38 am  #15

19.  One of the PCs recently interred his lover in a lonely marble tomb.  Night after night she calls to him from her rose-strewn bower.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/27/2015 8:16 pm  #16

20. Ages ago, King Thrax destroyed a blood-mad hoard of crazed zealots and slew their dark prophet. In doing, Thrax disappeared into the stygian depths of the cult's hellish temple, never to be seen again. Priests of Apollo purified the place and transformed it into a massive tomb to house the thousands of battle-slain. Legends tell that gold and jewels and the black sword of Thrax lie hidden within the complex. In whole truth, Thrax merely imprisoned the prophet's demon god with the magic of his sword and if it is removed, the elder god will be released into the world once again.

(Edit) 21. When Saturn and Mars align with Aldebaran, the gates open to the ancient Hall of Iron Shadows, where the archmage Zaalmar Voos once practiced arcane arts and constructed odd automatons. Riches and magical treasures await within and perhaps the rumored Amber Glass which Voos used to communicate with the God That Shall Not Be Named.

Last edited by joseph (6/28/2015 7:26 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/28/2015 7:46 pm  #17

Nice!

You may have more than twenty good ones between those here, at ODD74 and elsewhere.

6/28/2015 9:59 pm  #18

Chainsaw wrote:

Nice!

You may have more than twenty good ones between those here, at ODD74 and elsewhere.

Could do 25 with a d100 roll... or 50.... or 100...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/09/2015 10:49 am  #19

A golden light wells out of the tomb to pierce the Hyperborean night, and vhuurmis leave their mountain lairs to gather and worship in its glow. Within the tomb, the Arrows of Apollo pierce the breast of a madman who has stumbled through a gate from another world. Is he saint? Prisoner? Victim? Daemon?

7/14/2015 10:06 am  #20

An age old demon (which is in fact an A.I.) "sleep" inside a machine like tomb, filled with countless technological devices. It's in very bad shape and wants to repair itself, plannning to "convert" the adventurers by inserting a tiny implant in their brains.

Last edited by Mortificateur (7/14/2015 10:45 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.