!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2015 7:58 pm  #1

Spellcasting in combat

The rules (as I read them) allow some flexibility for casting in combat, and how this may be arbitrated. For my group I allow it, however if you get hit, the spell is lost. No concentration checks.

How do other people handle this?

6/21/2015 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Spellcasting in combat

Rastus_Burne wrote:

How do other people handle this?

Just like you do. Declare actions, roll initiative, if an enemy strikes the caster for damage during the performance of the spell, then he loses his spell. No concentration check.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/21/2015 8:03 pm  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

Just like you do. Declare actions, roll initiative, if an enemy strikes the caster for damage during the performance of the spell, then he loses his spell. No concentration check.

Agreed.  I've always handled it this way since I started running D&D.
And I do inform players that an NPC spellcaster is chanting arcane syllables and making eldritch gestures, so they can target him if they win the initiative.  Unless he's hidden somehow...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/21/2015 8:15 pm  #4

Good to know. Thanks for replying Chainsaw and Blackadder.

What about in a situation after melee has begun? Here's a for instance: the group is already engaged in combat when they become surrounded by a group of monsters. The warlock (or magician or whatever) wants to cast a spell during his/her turn, while surrounded by enemies. Do you allow the warlock to cast (with the assumption that if he's hit for damage the spell will be ruined anyway), or do you make a rule that when engaged in melee with other monsters it is now impossible?

Ranged is fairly self-explanatory, but I can see an argument either way for melee encounters. I personally allow it because the ruination of a spell is fairly risky. Losing it will tax resources. 

6/21/2015 8:49 pm  #5

Rastus_Burne wrote:

What about in a situation after melee has begun? Here's a for instance: the group is already engaged in combat when they become surrounded by a group of monsters. The warlock (or magician or whatever) wants to cast a spell during his/her turn, while surrounded by enemies. Do you allow the warlock to cast (with the assumption that if he's hit for damage the spell will be ruined anyway), or do you make a rule that when engaged in melee with other monsters it is now impossible?

In my games a spellcaster can attempt to cast spells in melee, with the assumption you mentioned of course. It's not a great combat strategy, but sometimes that's all he's got.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.