!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2015 8:11 pm  #1

How do you use Hyperborea?

So, how do you use the Hyperborea setting in your game? Is it "everything" in your campaign? Or just another island area among others in a bigger world? Or a nether realm, like Ravenloft or something?

I have pretty much run my games using Hyperborea as everything there is, but I don't really have an existing, established homebrew world into which I could plug it.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/27/2015 5:21 am  #2

Re: How do you use Hyperborea?

I use it as is, but I have use the Land of Black Ice in the northwestern Flanaess of GH as a place where the North Wind might sweep up a party of adventurers and deposit them somewhere in Hyperborea. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/27/2015 4:16 pm  #3

So far since we started AS&SH, everything has been Hyperborea (except for a brief foray to a space-pixie space station). It's the world. I have heard it referred to as a "small sandbox"--maybe I just have limited horizons, but to me it seems huge. Our campaigns have always tended to stay pretty local, so I already feel like there are just huge segments of Hyperborea I'd like to get to but don't know how it will happen. There's already been one teleportation, though, and the players seem fine with where they are and under no real urgency to get back to Brigands Bay.

Which is maybe partly my fault. Keeping adventurers hungry to me has often meant that at least for a while they don't have a secure base--until they can take it and keep it or make themselves useful enough that someone will be waiting for them to return. Like Conan before he was king--just keep moving to the next adventure.

That said, I intend to have some portals to other places crop up, especially Yuin-Soon and, unless I place it in Hyperborea, A Red and Pleaant Land.

5/27/2015 9:48 pm  #4

That's excellent, Handy. Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em hungry and desperate! ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/28/2015 6:18 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

+0 swords for everyone!

5/28/2015 7:08 am  #6

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

+0 swords for everyone!

Sheesh, Handy's finally gone Monty Haul... what's the world coming to?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/04/2015 8:34 am  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

+0 swords for everyone!

Sheesh, Handy's finally gone Monty Haul... what's the world coming to?

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.