!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2015 7:05 pm  #1

Berserker attack rate

Last night we had our first AS&SH session! It was a lot of fun, and I found the setting (and the adventure) provided plenty of atmosphere. One question arose relating to berserkers. It says on pg. 30 of the Player's Manual that the berserker's attack rate is 5/2 with weapon mastery. Is this correct for a level 1 berserker? 5/2 is a very good attack rate for a level 1 character. I could see 2/1 though. Were we mistaken? 

4/13/2015 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Berserker attack rate

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Last night we had our first AS&SH session! It was a lot of fun, and I found the setting (and the adventure) provided plenty of atmosphere. One question arose relating to berserkers. It says on pg. 30 of the Player's Manual that the berserker's attack rate is 5/2 with weapon mastery. Is this correct for a level 1 berserker? 5/2 is a very good attack rate for a level 1 character. I could see 2/1 though. Were we mistaken? 

A 1st-level berserker's normal attack rate is 1/1, or 3/2 with weapon mastery. Once per day, he can enter berserk rage, gaining a berserk attack rate of 2/1, or 5/2 with weapon mastery.

4/13/2015 8:00 pm  #3

That's how I read it. The berserker in question is level 1 and has weapon mastery. Thus going by the rules he can indeed attack at a rate of 5/2 when in a berserk rage?

4/13/2015 8:56 pm  #4

I agree with DMPrata. Plus, Jeff ran my second-level berserker's rage this way at Gary Con a few weeks ago. Normal attack rate was 3/2 because of weapon mastery and then berserker rage doubled it to 5/2. Thankfully I didn't attack any party members when the battle ended. I had a PC killed that way a few years ago, heheh.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/13/2015 8:59 pm  #5

Compared with say a Druid (who has the same FA at level 1) that attack rate seems far too good. I'm considering changing it to 2/1 for my campaign. Have people found it unbalancing? It really made a difference in our session last night. 

4/13/2015 9:40 pm  #6

Why would you be comparing the berserker's attack rate with a druid's?  Druids are spellcasters, not fighters.

Keep in mind the berserker can and will attack his own party.  How good will that attack rate seem then?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/13/2015 9:41 pm  #7

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Compared with say a Druid (who has the same FA at level 1) that attack rate seems far too good.

Makes sense to me that the fighter's berserker subclass special limited-use berserk attack ability far surpasses the generic fighting prowess of a cleric subclass. Maybe I misunderstand your point though.

I'm considering changing it to 2/1 for my campaign. Have people found it unbalancing? It really made a difference in our session last night. 

I didn't find it problematic in the ten sessions that capitalbill played a berserker. It's
not as if they can do it every battle. capitalbill always had to decide if this battle was "worth it." Even when he figured it was, the rage didn't consistently turn the tide. Plus, there is always the risk of attacking a friendly too. I have seen it happen!

Honestly, I would recommend playing a lot more than one session before making that sort of a change, but it's your game. Do what you want!

4/13/2015 9:50 pm  #8

Okay, well even compared with a fighter it's good if you want a closer analog. The fact that the berserker has a 12.5% chance of attacking one's allies counteracts the attack rate somewhat, especially if he starts laying into the party magician 

I'm not discounting the rule, merely asking other's experiences with it. I personally really like the class, but I don't want to end up in a situation where one character dominates the rest of the party (as seemed to be the case last night). Perhaps I'm overthinking it: the -2 to attacks, and inability to run, coupled with the uncontrollable affect is a pretty reasonable consequence after the vanquishing of foes.

4/13/2015 9:52 pm  #9

Part of it was probably my newness to the rules in a practical context. I'm very familiar with AD&D and other editions of D&D, and I have read the rules for AS&SH pretty thoroughly, but having a head knowledge versus a playing knowledge are two different things. It was also my first time running two phase combat, so there will inevitably be things I drop the ball on!

4/13/2015 10:04 pm  #10

Melee is the berserker's job.  He's supposed to dominate it.  When a lock needs picked, or an eldritch inscription needs deciphered, or the party needs a path through impenetrable magical brambles... then it's someone else's turn to shine.  All you have to do is provide a variety of challenges.  If your game is really nothing but combat... well, then they should all play fighter classes, right?  So there'd be no problem.

These things take care of themselves in an Old School game, at least in my experience.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 3:36 am  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

Normal attack rate was 3/2 because of weapon mastery and then berserker rage doubled it to 5/2.

Minor correction:  3/2 => 5/2 is +1 attack per round, not doubling (which would have given you 3/1).

Blackadder23 wrote:

Melee is the berserker's job.  He's supposed to dominate it.  When a lock needs picked, or an eldritch inscription needs deciphered, or the party needs a path through impenetrable magical brambles... then it's someone else's turn to shine.  All you have to do is provide a variety of challenges.  If your game is really nothing but combat... well, then they should all play fighter classes, right?  So there'd be no problem.

These things take care of themselves in an Old School game, at least in my experience.

Exactly!

4/14/2015 5:04 am  #12

nDervish wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Normal attack rate was 3/2 because of weapon mastery and then berserker rage doubled it to 5/2.

Minor correction:  3/2 => 5/2 is +1 attack per round, not doubling (which would have given you 3/1).

Whoops! You are obviously correct.

N.B. Don't post right before bed!

4/14/2015 7:27 am  #13

Chainsaw wrote:

nDervish wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Minor correction: 3/2 => 5/2 is +1 attack per round, not doubling (which would have given you 3/1).

Whoops! You are obviously correct.

N.B. Don't post right before bed!

NB: Don't go to bed!

We have had several berserkers. The first of whom just died this past weekend. They are indeed capable of dealing out insane amounts of damage, but I have seen two killed because they can't retreat once berserk, so even if, say, halberd-wielding skeletons are surrounding them on all sides, they are going to stay there and keep attacking.

The only real changes I've contemplated (but not introduced) are increasing the odds of the berserker staying berserk when all enemies are dead to maybe 1 in 6 instead of 1 in 8. That's an overall 4 percent increase in likelihood, though it's one-third more likely in each individual case (I think; activate the gizmomathboy signal!).

Now the other change I've contemplated is ruling out advanced combat moves when berserk. The berserker who just died was one of the most amazing characters I ever saw, with 16+ in STR, DEX, CON, and CHA. I watched the rolls. Completely, jaw-droppingly legit! And that particular player's first-ever D&D character, too! Anyway, she was specialized in long sword and dual-wielded them! My god, the Cuisinartisticness of it all. So berserk she got an extra off-hand attack each round giving her 3 (2 on, 1 off) then 4 (3 on, one off) every round at something like +1/-1 to hit and +4 damage. Against single opponents, this was almost overwhelming. But against enemies that use tactics and swarm the berserker, well, it doesn't matter if you do 60 points to one of them if the others are all still attacking.

Just ask yourself what your players would do if confronted with a berserker and have the NPCs do that. Also, confront your players with a gang of wild berserkers!

4/14/2015 7:34 am  #14

Thanks all for your responses. It's definitely given me some stuff to consider. I'll run it by the book for the next couple of sessions and evaluate how things pan out in that time. I may change the attack rate to 2/1, rather than 5/2 with mastery. However, before I decide for sure, I will be strict about rolling that d8 and the affects that are incurred should that 1 come up on the dice.

As Handy says the berserker deals 'insane amounts of damage'. 25 damage in one attack routine if memory serves. At level 1. 

4/14/2015 7:48 am  #15

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Thanks all for your responses. It's definitely given me some stuff to consider. I'll run it by the book for the next couple of sessions and evaluate how things pan out in that time. I may change the attack rate to 2/1, rather than 5/2 with mastery. However, before I decide for sure, I will be strict about rolling that d8 and the affects that are incurred should that 1 come up on the dice.

As Handy says the berserker deals 'insane amounts of damage'. 25 damage in one attack routine if memory serves. At level 1. 

Dude, the first time my players turned on the buzzsaw, she did 65 points of damage! The giant spider had 13. It takes *forever* to get spider goo out of chainmail.

4/14/2015 7:51 am  #16

Handy Haversack wrote:

SNIP
The only real changes I've contemplated (but not introduced) are increasing the odds of the berserker staying berserk when all enemies are dead to maybe 1 in 6 instead of 1 in 8. That's an overall 4 percent increase in likelihood, though it's one-third more likely in each individual case (I think; activate the gizmomathboy signal!).
SNIP

It's a 4 percent point increase, roughly.

As a percentage increase it is going from .125 to .167 is a 33.3% increase in likelihood.

Ain't math fun :-)

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

But more on point, the berzerker rage benefits are most certainly balanced out by the downsides when it starts dealing out 5/2 attacks on the party's healer(s).

I haven't run an AS&SH campaign but the balance seems right. As was determined in another thread they are a relatively difficult class to get depending upon generation method. They are skewed towards melee. Have some item limits (magic items are mostly shunned). It's not as unbalanced as the 1e barbarian (not quite the same but close enough).

I think Jeff has balanced out several of the classes that I would ban in 1e (druid, monk, bard...I haven't read the bard that closely yet) and would let fly in an AS&SH campaign.

But you'll figure out if you like it or not. Remember rule 0 and most things will work out from there.

What? Me worry?

4/14/2015 8:05 am  #17

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Well, don't forget, a magician's Sleep spell can easily nuke an entire encounter at level one too...

4/14/2015 8:56 am  #18

Use more monsters!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 2:23 pm  #19

Blackadder23 wrote:

Use more monsters!

I'm with BA23, know that you can expect one of your encounters to get crushed by a berserker and prepare accordingly.

One anecdote from one of my games, the berserker literally saved the party during a large melee, but came out of rage before the bid bag in the next room made its appearance. He was forced to fight with the exhaustion penalties and was devoured. Everyone else ran.

They're not game breaking, you shouldn't be too concerned Rastus_Burne. Give it some time, and if it doesn't work out for your tastes, house rules don't break the game either!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/14/2015 5:29 pm  #20

Chainsaw wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Well, don't forget, a magician's Sleep spell can easily nuke an entire encounter at level one too...

Great point. 

Blackadder23 wrote:

Use more monsters! 

I'll create berserking monsters 

joseph wrote:

One anecdote from one of my games, the berserker literally saved the party during a large melee, but came out of rage before the bid bag in the next room made its appearance. He was forced to fight with the exhaustion penalties and was devoured. Everyone else ran. They're not game breaking, you shouldn't be too concerned Rastus_Burne. Give it some time, and if it doesn't work out for your tastes, house rules don't break the game either!

Alright, I hear you guys. I'll give it some time, and prepare accordingly.

Thanks for the input all!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.