!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2015 5:04 am  #1

Running S3 in Hyperborea

While reading Chainsaw's campaign journal it occurred to me that S3 would make a decent Hyperborean adventure. Even if not cut whole cloth, the essence of the adventure is viable in creating the mood of a weird adventure. Hmm... 

I'm imagining unearthing the ship in the depths of a mank, stinky, teeming jungle. 

1/22/2015 6:13 am  #2

Re: Running S3 in Hyperborea

Rastus_Burne wrote:

While reading Chainsaw's campaign journal it occurred to me that S3 would make a decent Hyperborean adventure. Even if not cut whole cloth, the essence of the adventure is viable in creating the mood of a weird adventure. Hmm... 

I'm imagining unearthing the ship in the depths of a mank, stinky, teeming jungle. 

Absolutley. I think it fits very well, thematically. Maybe just a few tweaks here and there to give it more of a distinctive Hyperborea feel.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/22/2015 6:26 am  #3

Yeah, I was thinking of a much condensed version. Perhaps what I'm saying, is the concept itself is more interesting than necessarily running it per the module. Of course you could run it wholly, but alongside the derelict technology of far-future humanity I can imagine all sorts of weird horrors waiting to plague unsuspecting adventurers. 

1/22/2015 6:57 am  #4

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking of a much condensed version. Perhaps what I'm saying, is the concept itself is more interesting than necessarily running it per the module. Of course you could run it wholly, but alongside the derelict technology of far-future humanity I can imagine all sorts of weird horrors waiting to plague unsuspecting adventurers. 

My Taken from Dunwich adventure explores a similar theme, and I could easily see tying the two of them together. Great posts, BTW, RB.

Last edited by Ghul (1/22/2015 6:58 am)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/22/2015 7:07 am  #5

Thanks! I really do need to pick up a few AS&SH modules. I'm interested to read through how it's 'officially' done. 

I tend to do a lot of homebrewing as far as adventures are concerned, but I feel the themes and feel of this game are integral, so capturing that is a priority for me

1/22/2015 9:00 am  #6

RB, you should also check out (batsh*t crazy!) adventure "Kusu’s Cove/Hyperborean Laboratory," by Benoist Poiré, in AFS 3 (available from Scalydemon at http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/, though I think back issues are on back order right now).

I've also been using the "Beneath the Ruins" dungeon from Wizards Mutants Lazer Pistols, which I think is avail. in PDF now (http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/).

But, yes, science-fantasy and gonzo crazy all work well in Hyperborea. I think a lot of us have placed ASE somewhere, too!

1/22/2015 6:00 pm  #7

Handy, I haven't heard of the others, but using ASE did occur to me. I've been meaning to order that for some time, due to various reports that it happens to be awesome. 

1/23/2015 1:24 am  #8

Black Blade will have ASE 1 and 2-3, and AFS#1-6 available at GaryCon, if the byakhee lugging them through the Void don't drop them while en route....

1/23/2015 1:31 am  #9

If I were able to attend GaryCon I'd likely make use of said byakhee's efforts ;)

11/08/2015 12:01 am  #10

Great suggestion, I'm keen to run Barrier Peaks as a AS&SH adventure one day when the PCs get a few more levels under their belts. I ran Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh as their introductory game (with a few tweaks), it worked well in Hyperborea :]

11/08/2015 4:24 am  #11

In what part of Hyperborea did you place U1 seb?

11/09/2015 3:51 am  #12

Hi Rastus, good to see someone here from just across the Tasman Sea.
Not sure if it was the most ideal location to place Saltmarsh but I dropped it along the Lizard Coast, in anticipation of the tribe of lizardfolk (if the party decided to progress through to Danger at Dunwater). The surrounding marshlands helped :] An incident with rotgrubs almost proved fatal to the Viking fighter; Thankfully the quick thinking Atlantean mage cast a sleep spell to subdue the parasites and their host, allowing the legerdemainist and cleric to perform some delicate surgery (and subsequent healing) on the warrior. An additional sleep spell granted the legerdemainist the chance to gather and place a number of the vile critters into a fine glass jar. This bottle was subsequently smashed on the cavern floor (behind the illusionist) who unfortunately was knocked prone by the viking warrior onto the shattered glass. The recently freed rotgrubs relished the opportunity to burrow into the illusionist's back, spelling his end  {:] 

11/09/2015 5:15 pm  #13

It's a tidy adventure. Because U1 is somewhat generic it's certainly useful for plonking in most settings. 

12/29/2015 10:53 am  #14

You guys have a list of modules that you would run with AS&SH?

12/30/2015 9:40 am  #15

Mortificateur wrote:

You guys have a list of modules that you would run with AS&SH?

Mortificateur, here's a list of what I *have* run: http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=7697#p7697

The other topics on this section of the board also have a bunch of ideas of adventures that folks here would use with AS&SH. ASE and S3 seem like popular choices. I've been looking to work in both Deep Carbon Observatory and Many Gates of the Gann in the near future, possibly. Depending on what my players do and whether I get anything of my own written!

All of this in addition to the AS&SH modules themselves, which are really highlighted by the three new ones.

12/30/2015 9:56 am  #16

I see no reason you couldn't run practically any classic D&D module in Hyperborea.  Some might need adjusting until they fit your personal vision of the setting, but in most cases that would just be a trivial changing of some monsters and possibly treasures.  For example, perhaps the Caves of Chaos in B2 could be inhabited by vhuurmis and ape-men (and maybe oon and snake-men) instead of the usual "Gygaxian" humanoids.  Place the Keep in Brigand Bay and you're ready to go.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (12/30/2015 9:57 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/21/2017 5:18 pm  #17

Blackadder23 wrote:

I see no reason you couldn't run practically any classic D&D module in Hyperborea.

Exactly!! Talk about weird... I love that I can, for the most part, drag and drop a lot of those old modules into hexes for my sandboxy campaign with little adjustment.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.