!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2014 5:51 pm  #1

Transmundanes

TRANSMUNDANE
No. Encountered: 1 (1d2)
Alignment: Lawful (usually Evil)
Size: M
Movement: 40
Dexterity: 13
Armour Class: 3
Hit Dice: 7+7
No. of Attacks: 1 (weapon)
Damage: (per weapon)
Saving Throw: 13
Morale: 11
Experience Points: 1720
Treasure Class: 1d10 gems (minimum value 500 g.p. each)

Transmundanes are members of a powerful and enigmatic race whose place of origin is unknown, but which certainly lies beyond Hyperborea.  A Transmundane looks much like a tall handsome man or woman, typically clad in the dress and hairstyle of Classical Greece and bearing a name such as Hypnos or Cressida.  The flesh, clothing, and hair of these beings are shades of metallic gold and silver, making Transmundanes appear not unlike animated statues or perhaps cunning automatons; appearances notwithstanding, they do seem to be living beings.  Their voices are high and musical, and they are surrounded by a pleasing scent of exotic blossoms, but their personalities are most haughty and imperious.  Transmundanes understand even the most advanced technology, such as that of ancient Atlantis, and have been known to use such in their cryptic schemes.  They may bear any weapons, but rarely deign to do so.  When slain, a Transmundane disappears within a few moments, leaving behind the smell of sweet spices.

Generally either one Transmundane is encountered, or a pair consisting of a male and a female; whether these are mates, siblings, or colleagues remains open to conjecture.  Transmundanes come to Hyperborea for diverse purposes, not all of which are easily comprehended by mundane beings.  Most often their actions seem to be in direct opposition to the diabolical schemes of daemons and such inimical aliens as the mi-go and Great Race.  To these ends they put their formidable mental powers, as well as the strength of humans whose loyalty has been purchased by strange gems found nowhere else in Hyperborea.  Despite their frequent warfare against the minions of Thaumagorga, most Transmundanes are best classified as Lawful Evil, little caring how many humans suffer or die in pursuit of their lofty goals.  A rare few seem to be Lawful Good, and these will take some care to minimize human casualties in the course of their eldritch conflict with the daemons.  Even the most benevolent Transmundanes will rarely suffer questioning or disobedience from the “lesser beings” that they are generously allowing to serve as soldiers in their invisible war.

Special:
* 12-in-20 spell resistance versus CA 12 casters. For every CA level less than 12, the chance-in-twenty
increases by one (+1) (see VOL. III, SAVING THROW, spell resistance).
* +1 or better weapon to hit.
* Immune to poison, paralysis, disease, illusions, and any spell that affects the mind.
* Can perform the following at will (though only one at a time): advanced spectral phantasm, charm person or beast, detect evil, dimension door, discern lie, extrasensory perception, hold monster, invisibility, and tongues.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/08/2014 7:42 pm  #2

Re: Transmundanes

Transmundanes seem immediately useful to my campaign. Great work, BA23! As an aside, what these beings are (whether evolved though magic, science, or demonology) seems a lot like I've envisaged Hyperboreans who never returned from Saturn. Golden boreads, as it were.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/09/2014 9:00 am  #3

Very nice, BA23!

I like the sense I get from everyone's game that Hyperborea is a well known stopover for beings with other plans. Crabmen, mi-go, daemons, transmundanes. Everyone's got some finger (or the equivalent) in the Hyperborean pie. But it's very refreshing that this does not mean the standard medieval-Christianity-derived (A)D&D-cosmic-powers-fighting-for-mortal-souls setup and instead tends toward a much more Lovecraftian better-get-my-licks-in-while-I-can Weltschmertz with a healthy dash of Conan-based back-into-the-darkness-sorcerous-dog butt kicking!

Well done.

12/09/2014 9:07 am  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

Very nice, BA23!

I like the sense I get from everyone's game that Hyperborea is a well known stopover for beings with other plans. Crabmen, mi-go, daemons, transmundanes. Everyone's got some finger (or the equivalent) in the Hyperborean pie. But it's very refreshing that this does not mean the standard medieval-Christianity-derived (A)D&D-cosmic-powers-fighting-for-mortal-souls setup and instead tends toward a much more Lovecraftian better-get-my-licks-in-while-I-can Weltschmertz with a healthy dash of Conan-based back-into-the-darkness-sorcerous-dog butt kicking!

Handy, that may be my favorite summary of the game that I've ever heard!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/09/2014 9:23 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Very nice, BA23!

Handy, that may be my favorite summary of the game that I've ever heard!

Patent pending!

12/09/2014 11:06 am  #6

I think we have our blurb for the back of the hardcover...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.