!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2014 10:51 am  #1

AFS 6- Released for sale!

AFS Magazine Issue #6 is released! and available for purchase. It will ship within the next 2 weeks. It contains a color cardstock cover, is over 50 pages long and will be sent by parcel mail. Each copy costs $10.00 USA Domestic includes shipping, $12.00 Canada includes shipping, $15.75 International includes shipping. It includes old school gaming adventures, tables, a short fiction piece and articles with a nod to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Robert E Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith.
AFS 6 includes three full length adventures! – two written for the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea ruleset and one written for B/X .
Paypal is accepted, just go to http://www.paypal.com and my paypal is srmoberly at yahoo.com. Please ensure the address paypal has on file for you is accurate. As is usual - the first 20 copies sold will be numbered and signed.
Thanks for your support!

AFS Magazine #6   - Table of Contents

Adventure – Wrath of the Sea God Khulk-Xu by the Scribe Lestrade
New Monster -  Scorpioids of Xin-  By Michael Haskell
Adventure – Beyond the Ice Fall by Joseph D. Salvador
Fiction – Two Military Executions by Ambrose Bierce (1906)
Table – Celestial Phenomona  by Benjamin Ball
NPC spotlight - Ulva  Esquimaux (Eskimo) NPC of the Purloiner class from the Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers game by the Scribe Lestrade (also includes a re-print of the Purloiner class for AS&SH by Jeffrey Talanian & Colin Chapman)
Adventure – Haunted Ruins of Castle Mold-a-Vay for character levels 3-6 written for B/X by Scalydemon, Rflowers, Fingolwyn, Distorted Humor, & Darkgrey
Variant Class – The Huntsman written for the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea ruleset by Jeffrey Talanian

Last edited by Scalydemon (11/24/2014 10:56 am)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

11/24/2014 11:07 am  #2

Re: AFS 6- Released for sale!

Order placed - thanks to Scott and all of the contributors.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/24/2014 8:54 pm  #3

Awesome! Ordered.

11/24/2014 9:21 pm  #4

Ordered!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/25/2014 1:01 am  #5

Thanks very much.

A few updates, sales strong early going. The ship has sailed now on the initial 20 copies, but the magazine is still very much for sale. I did final edits this eve and printed the master copy/proof. Next step will be mass printing and assembly and shipping which will all happen over the next week or so in waves. Looks like 55 pages total page count. Happy with the way it turned out, some good reading, hope people enjoy the issue when it reaches your part of the World. Lots of Hyperborea and AS&SH in this one.

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

11/25/2014 6:03 am  #6

Plugged it at the AS&SH FB page.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/25/2014 8:32 am  #7

I ordered mine! Looking forward to it, especially the adventures.

11/25/2014 9:49 am  #8

Ordered. Looking foward to this too.

11/25/2014 2:14 pm  #9

Ordered, natch.  For the new AS&SH class if nothing else.
I already have an idea for a nasty NPC huntsman adventure.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/25/2014 2:15 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/26/2014 8:08 pm  #10

Stardate November 26 2014

Things progressing, actually to the point where I am producing zines and will be mailing out the 1st batch of orders this Friday. I am going to keep sending batches out in waves most days after that until I am caught up.
If anyone new orders there should just be about a week lag between the time you order and the order ships...

Thanks!

Last edited by Scalydemon (11/26/2014 8:08 pm)

12/01/2014 9:13 pm  #11

Shipped about a dozen more copies today. People that ordered earliest and live in the USA should start receiving theirs soon/any day.

Shipped today to Tasmania, the U.K,Moscow Russia, oh and even to Vermont

Currently ran myself out of covers, as I had underestimated initial demand, so there will be a slight delay as I get more of those printed. I hope to be all caught up on production and shipping all orders on hand by the end of this week. At least that's the plan

12/01/2014 10:15 pm  #12

Just got mine in today, very nice!

Haven't had a chance to do more than just flip through it, but I see some nice stuff in there.

12/02/2014 8:19 am  #13

capitalbill wrote:

Just got mine in today, very nice!

Me too! Thanks Scaley.

Haven't had a chance to do more than just flip through it, but I see some nice stuff in there.

Agreed! Thanks so much to everyone who contributed.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/02/2014 12:27 pm  #14

Mine just arrived!

12/03/2014 8:26 am  #15

Scaly, I think AFS 6 is the best yet! And not just because I'm a contributor. The adventures are really top-notch. Joseph, if you see this, that Beyond the Ice Fall is great. You really do a fantastic job capturing the Hyperborean-ness of things with your quick descriptions of the ice thralls. It's a great example of packing a lot of flavor and detail into just a little text. Great_Lestrade, I love the encounters in the Bath House. It's cool that one of the great survival skills for a party of *any* level in that one is actually politeness! Might just get you through!

Scaly, I'm reading the last adventure now, but so far it's great! Loads of fun.

Nice work!

12/03/2014 9:52 pm  #16

Thanks Handy, your comments are greatly appreciated! I have some follow up adventures tentatively planned (one of my group is asking for a Norse game) but I have no timetable right now. Anyway, let me know if you run the adventure, I'd love to hear how it goes!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

12/04/2014 6:55 pm  #17

Scaly, I'm reading the last adventure now, but so far it's great! Loads of fun.

The adventure in there 'Haunted Ruins of Castle Mold-a vay' is quite clearly beer & pretzels style as I state in the opening. I playetested it for a table of 8 players at Dragonfilght CON in Seattle this past August and it was a lot of fun to run if anyone gets a chance. I supplied a 12 pack of PBR tall boys and a big bag of pretzels for the game to set the mood. The Hill Giant in the beginning (Derek Smalls) tried un-succcesfully to extort money and food from the party and they ended up killing him but it was a nasty fight. They then fell pray to a teleport trap in a corridor and didn't know where the hell they were and kept exploring the weird rooms and encounters. The magic user from the party died in the chessboard room..

Last edited by Scalydemon (12/04/2014 6:56 pm)

12/05/2014 11:24 pm  #18

Just got this today.  LOTS of great stuff in here (apart from my contribution, which modesty forbids me from commenting on).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/08/2014 7:33 pm  #19

Best issue yet.  Great content from a very creative bunch.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/12/2014 1:52 am  #20

Thanks everyone.

Lestrade did this get to you yet? I hope you like the way it turned out

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.