!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2014 8:50 am  #1

Huntsman

At some point this new fighter subclass will make its way to the pages of AFS Magazine and then the next printing of the AS&SH game. Here is the concept behind the class:

+ + + + + + +

HUNTSMAN

The huntsman is a warrior who ranges the hoary wilds of Hyperborea in search of formidable game. Some hail from barbaric tribes whence they are celebrated for their impressive conquests, whilst others originate from within the walls of civilization whence they are admired for their astonishing trophies. Some huntsmen subdue and master the most untamable of beasts, whilst others pride themselves as monster hunters, ridding Hyperborea of its most dire threats. No matter what their aims or origins, all huntsmen share an insatiable thirst to dominate that which lesser men rightly fear and loath.

+ + + + + + +

As in all subclass cases, is it necessary? No. Anyone can simply choose to create a fighter or barbarian who fits this sort of theme. But will it be fun? Yes! The subclass will be a lightly armoured fighter-type that specializes in slaying beasts. They will also function as a sort of "beastmaster" class that can subdue and tame. The mechanics are a work in progress; establishing the role was of primary importance to me. I hope some of you find the concept interesting.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/11/2014 9:46 am  #2

Re: Huntsman

Sounds good!  I assume some care will be taken to distinguish this class from the ranger and scout.

Just some ideas that come to mind: animal friendship as a natural ability, making superior leather armor from tough animal hides, maybe an animal familiar (wolf or falcon).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/11/2014 10:18 am  #3

The class will be distinguished from the ranger and the scout, and it will have those kind of animal abilities, including skills in subduing beasts. Higher level huntsmen will able to control a pair of animals that work in perfect synchronization.

I tend to shy away from "superior" armour and weapon types; they remind of 3e "masterwork" items, which is fine for folks who enjoy it, but it's not my cup of tea.

10/11/2014 12:33 pm  #4

I like it quite a bit. Traditionally, I've enjoyed using Rangers without spell casting, this class seems to be that very thing. I can see some amount of crossover with both rangers and scouts, but the "beast-taming" alone will differentiate the huntsman. Fits nicely in Lemuria, too!

Perhaps the class would have increased ability with ranged weapons. Maybe grand - mastery with one type of bow, or increased ranges, something along those lines.

Last edited by joseph (10/11/2014 12:39 pm)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/11/2014 12:47 pm  #5

joseph wrote:

Perhaps the class would have increased ability with ranged weapons. Maybe grand - mastery with one type of bow, or increased ranges, something along those lines.

That's exactly something I'm planning to do. This would make the huntsman the only class (besides the straight fighter) that has weapon mastery, but the selections will be limited to things like the bow and spear.

10/11/2014 4:22 pm  #6

This sounds like an excellent concept for ASSH, as it fits the 'flavor' of the setting to a 't'. I am hesitant to use the Ranger as is in the rules because it like the Paladin don't seem to fit in well to me (Paladin reminds me of King Arthur and Charlemagne), and would probably replace it with this, rather than keep both.

10/11/2014 5:26 pm  #7

Sounds cool, Ghul!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/13/2014 8:14 am  #8

Sounds interesting!

10/13/2014 9:33 pm  #9

I like concept, but the name screams "Beastmaster" not "Huntsman" YMMV.

10/13/2014 9:49 pm  #10

Very nice...might they be able to ride some of these beasts as well?

10/14/2014 12:06 am  #11

NAJones wrote:

I like concept, but the name screams "Beastmaster" not "Huntsman" YMMV.

Yeah, like Tarzan.

10/14/2014 5:50 am  #12

Sure, you can play it that way, but slaying is going to be their primary thematic component -- taking down big game (or big monsters, as it were). But if you, as player, want to pursue a tarzan or beastmaster angle, this is the class for you, too.

Like all the classes in AS&SH, what I've tried to do is not pigeon-hole the huntsman into one specific archetype. I want players to be able to take some role-play inspiration from the class' color text or simply make up their own background theme to suit their own campaign. Take for example the monk:

The fighting monk is a priest and a warrior, an anchorite or ascetic given to physical and mental discipline and self-mastery. He might be a coenobite or friar serving a monastic order, a contemplative who abstains from speech in favour of meditation or prayer, a mendicant begging for alms in poverty-stricken streets, the initiate of a forbidden Chaos cult, or a mountaintop lama reincarnate. Monasteries are oftest secluded, located atop mountain cliffs, within vast caves, or on remote islands; others might exist in urban environs or their clandestine underworlds. Many monks engage in lengthy walkabouts, expeditions through which they seek to expand their knowledge of the world.

Last edited by Ghul (10/14/2014 5:51 am)

10/14/2014 7:36 am  #13

I immediately thought of Marvel's Kraven, actually.

10/14/2014 3:53 pm  #14

Chainsaw wrote:

You just won an official No-Prize! ;) The idea is indeed much inspired by the concept of Kraven.

10/14/2014 5:50 pm  #15

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

You just won an official No-Prize! ;) The idea is indeed much inspired by the concept of Kraven.

Cool! I'll be watching the mail carefully, as I have always dreamed of winning the No-Prize!

1/20/2015 5:36 am  #16

Jeff, besides the Huntsman, what are some of the other classes you're plannng for the updated rules? 

1/20/2015 3:43 pm  #17

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Jeff, besides the Huntsman, what are some of the other classes you're plannng for the updated rules? 

So far the new additions are Huntsman (Fighter), Cryomancer (Magician), and Purloiner (Thief). I've begun to lay out the ground work for the next one -- the Seer (Cleric).

1/20/2015 5:59 pm  #18

That sounds neat. One of the things I like already about AS&SH is that there are plenty of subclass options. But for the group/player that enjoys the 'traditional' four types, you can still easily play with them.

1/21/2015 8:24 am  #19

Will there be a Frost Lord specialty for the Warlock?

1/21/2015 8:58 am  #20

Agricola wrote:

Will there be a Frost Lord specialty for the Warlock?

Sounds cool enough - I can easily envision a warrior trudging through the icy wastelands, protected and armed with his cold spells. No place is too cold for the Frost Lord to do battle; his blade never sticks. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.