!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2014 8:37 am  #1

Combat movement question

Having issues wrapping my head around this rule on page 213 of the player's manual under Movement.

So it says that "Combat movement is simultaneous; regardless of which side wins initiative". So does movement still happen on the characters initiative or does all movement happen first before other actions are taken in initiative order? Or is it something else altogether?

I'm really wanting to give the combat phases a try and this is the only thing left that has me scratching my head.

Also when your players act on initiative do you have them act by highest to lowest dex scores or just however they want?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by SavageGM (9/15/2014 9:04 am)

9/15/2014 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Combat movement question

Hi, SGM,

The movement all starts at the beginning of the round for all parties involved. If an actor is making a "full move" and then melee, or half move and then missile or spell, though, the actions are resolved in phase 2. Phase 1: party with winning initiative goes first and takes care of all phase 1 actions; then the initiative loser (or initiative nonwinner for the sensitive!) knocks out all phase 1 actions. Then phase 2 goes the same way, with anything left over from phase 1 happening: the resolution of full-move melee and harge attacks, the resolution of missiles or magic after half moves; the completion of full moves.

A lot of this doesn't even need to be "public facing." The players tell you what they want to do, and you tell them when it all happens in the round.

But for actions by one party in one phase, I have it all happen at the same time. I don't break down the party by DEX--really, just in the order they're sitting around them table. Then I "give the kill" to one of them. Usually the one that will make the most people angry!

9/15/2014 2:26 pm  #3

Thanks Handy,

So if an enemy that is just going to take a 1/2 move and who lost the initiative roll will be able to move before a player with a bow who won initiative takes a stationary ranged attack at him, on phase 1?

9/15/2014 4:38 pm  #4

If I understand the question, then I think not: A player making an ordinary missile attack who wins init. can fire all available shots at once in Phase 1 if s/he wants to, and this would come before the enemy finished its movement. All movement begins at the same time at the beginning of the round, but a stationary shooter who won init. gets his/her arrows off as desired, and all those arrows in phase 1 will be fired before the enemy completes the move (though whether the enemy manages to get under cover before all shots are fired seems like it would be up to DM judgment.

I assume if I'm just blowing smoke here someone will correct me!

9/15/2014 6:54 pm  #5

Thanks again Handy, I would also believe that the way you answered the question is the correct way to do it.

9/16/2014 9:51 am  #6

One way to think about this is that all movement begins at the beginning of Phase 1 but does not end until later in the round. A character making a half move would reach his goal at the end of Phase 1, while a character making a full moves completes the move at the end of Phase 2.

So in your example a character making a half move hoping to become adjacent to the stationary archer, would not reach the archer until the end of Phase 1, after the archer has attacked.

The exception to this would be a character who plans to attend then move, his move would begin at the start of Phase 2 and be completed at the end of the round.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

9/16/2014 10:00 am  #7

Ok Joseph thanks for the insight. So he begins to move and immediately after gets shot at by the stationary shooter? Before he can get to cover?

9/16/2014 6:43 pm  #8

If the combatant moving to cover lost initiative, I'd say yes, the archer can shoot him before he reaches cover. If the cover were within a half move, and he won initiative, I'd allow him the cover bonus when the archer fired later in phase one.

9/16/2014 11:03 pm  #9

Thanks DMPrata, good rule and one I will implement.

9/17/2014 5:02 am  #10

Also, welcome aboard, SavageGM!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/17/2014 4:20 pm  #11

Thank you, Handy and DMP. I feel your answers are spot-on, and I do concur.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.