!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2014 8:53 am  #1

Heroic Fighting

The description of this class ability says "opponents of 1 HD or less". Based on how the XP award table works, I assumed that creatures with 1+ HD (e.g. cave-men or giant ferrets) are not subject to it; what is your interpretation of this rule?

9/11/2014 9:12 am  #2

Re: Heroic Fighting

In AD&D fighters are not eligible for multiple attacks against 1+ HD creatures.  I would probably rule it the same way in AS&SH.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/11/2014 9:50 am  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

In AD&D fighters are not eligible for multiple attacks against 1+ HD creatures.  I would probably rule it the same way in AS&SH.

Yup. I always figured that's why some humanoids had 1+ HD--just to slow down the fighters.

9/11/2014 10:20 am  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

Minor Quibble: In AD&D, Fighters only get those extra attacks (equal to Fighter level) against creatures with less than one full HD.  So, normal attacks vs. Orcs, multiple against Goblins, Kobold, Centipedes, etc...  In my AD&D games, I further houserule this to Human/Demi-Humans/Humanoids of less than one HD, if I allow it at all.

And to get really picky, the round duration in AD&D is a minute, but only 10 seconds in AS&SoH, which makes it a little less...uh....believable(?) in AS&SoH

9/11/2014 10:52 am  #5

francisca wrote:

And to get really picky, the round duration in AD&D is a minute, but only 10 seconds in AS&SoH, which makes it a little less...uh....believable(?) in AS&SoH

I don't know, it seems believable to me that Conan could carve his way through a dozen no-level mooks in about ten seconds.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/11/2014 11:33 am  #6

I think it actually improves things a lot. 1 minute per round seems just way too long. When you jump into a hole with several enemies, there will be a lot more than just 2 people lying dead or mortally wounded after one minute. When swords and arrows are flying, one minute is a very long time.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

9/11/2014 12:56 pm  #7

Thanks guys!

As for round duration, the two advantages of 1 minute rounds I see are (1) strengthening the idea that an attack doesn't equal to a swing of the sword (i.e. it's more abstract) and (2) it makes measuring time easier and more manageable (i.e. if 1 expoloration turn = 10 combat rounds, it really counts if it takes 2 rounds or 10 to slay the enemy, whereas it doesn't matter for 10 second rounds).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.