!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2014 9:44 am  #1

Jousting!

Well, I'm back.

I can't post a picture of the actual jousting--a charging horse through a thick crowd is too much for my little camera, though I do have some movies. But here are a couple of shots to prove we were at a cataphract event--the Festa Sant Joan in Ciutadella, Menorca, Spain. Totally insane. For two days, a troop of around 100 horses with riders parades through the town center, actually going in to the houses of the old-time residents for pomada (gin and lemonade) and food. There are also *thousands* of people thronging the streets of the medieval town, also drinking pomada. The crowd is *drunk*. Then the jousting itself happens in a densely crowded town plaza. Densely crowded. It's about 150 yards long, maybe 30 yards wide. It's also sunken about 30 feet below the level of the town, so the walls are lined with people up above--and there are only two ways out of the square, at either end. There's a dirt track about six feet wide down the middle with *painted white lines* to separate it from the crowd. And that's it. Thousands of drunk people. Horses charging at full speed. Lances. And someone got very badly hurt and eventually died. The amazing thing is that this was the first accident at the games in ten years. They say that next year there might be changes, but it's Spain, so I doubt it.

At any rate, here's a pic of the horses parading through town the day before and then one of Ms. Haversack and I and our bottle of pomada, waiting for the games to begin. It was a long wait in the hot sun, but once the horses started charging, more than worth it. I just wish no one had been hurt.

Also on this trip, we rode the same breed of horses, cantered through thick pine woods, and then cantered along a secluded beach and even into the Mediterranean. I'm pretty sure I'm a first level cataphract now.

7/05/2014 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Jousting!

Man, that sounds great! My wife and I have not taken a proper vacation since she became pregnant with and gave birth to our son, who is now two-and-a-half, so I am jealous. How was the food and drink? Good sangria?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/05/2014 7:27 pm  #3

Well, those pictures are from a gin and horses festival. So we were drinking gin and lemonade--frozen--in the hot, hot sun. I'm not a sangria man. We drank a lot of cava (Catalunyan champagne), a lot of white wine, and a lot of local (boring Pilsner) beer. But I must stress both "a lot" and "next to the shining Mediterranean Sea." Ms. Haversack had some cava sangria, which seemed to go down a treat. I also had a Hemingway daiquiri at the oldest cocktail bar in Barcelona, which was very, very good.

NB, Chainsaw, my friend: We have no kids. So we decided proper vacations are our deal. The dog was taken care of here by the gaming group's shaman. What more could he want?

Also: gin and lemonade, man.

7/05/2014 7:29 pm  #4

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Everyone needs to find a way to step back and relax a bit as much as possible.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/05/2014 8:51 pm  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Everyone needs to find a way to step back and relax a bit as much as possible.

Hard not to have a good time when jousting is involved! And thanks!

7/09/2014 6:06 pm  #6

How did I miss this thread? Sounds like a fantastic time all around, and I'm so jealous! I'd have to say a pub tour of Ireland would be first on my bucket list, but this is quite awesome. Thanks for sharing!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/09/2014 9:33 pm  #7

Ghul wrote:

How did I miss this thread? Sounds like a fantastic time all around, and I'm so jealous! I'd have to say a pub tour of Ireland would be first on my bucket list, but this is quite awesome. Thanks for sharing!

No prob. It was a really wonderful trip! Menorca also has more Bronze Age (and a little on either side) ruins than any other island in the Mediterranean. Easily defensible.

8/19/2014 9:30 pm  #8

I somehow overlooked this thread, but let me say your trip sounded great, Handy!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.