!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2014 1:18 pm  #1

Agile Ability

A player at G+ asked me:

Does the Agile ability stack with a shield? I know it requires the character to be unarmored, but I'm not sure whether to count a shield as 'armor', even though it boosts your AC.

My answer:

I would allow a small shield to apply, but not a large shield. Perhaps this should be clarified in the future. Thank you.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/23/2014 1:20 pm  #2

Re: Agile Ability

Because using non-allowed armor conflicts with class abilities but allowed ones don't?
Seems like a straight and unambigous case to me.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

5/23/2014 1:24 pm  #3

The agile ability requires the character to be unarmoured and unencumbered. The player wants to know if the shield affects the ability, too.

5/23/2014 1:46 pm  #4

Makes sense. It's a thief ability that all the thief subclasses get. Only assassins are allowed to use large shields anyway. So I would think that since thieves can use small shields, they can be agile with them.

5/23/2014 1:50 pm  #5

I've been allowing it to apply with a shield (although it's only been relevant maybe once) on the theory that a shield isn't "armor" per se.  Also, I feel barbarian characters who refrain from wearing armor in true "comic book Conan" style deserve a little bonus for it.  I agree this could probably stand to be clarified in the next printing.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/14/2014 9:52 pm  #6

The answer should be, from my standpoint, "what makes sense to you and your game table." 

This isn't something that should warrant "official reply", let alone "a new revision of the game."

6/14/2014 10:20 pm  #7

That's why I mentioned how I would probably handle it, Benoist. Not an "official" answer, but a gamer to gamer answer. That being said, I do have a finite amount of boxed sets left, so when I do sell out, I'll be making a new printing of the game, and there are some clarifications worth making. Not sure this is one of them, but it's on the "consideration" list, because the rule mentions armour and not shields. Like BA23, I like the idea of a barbarian rushing into combat, armourless, agile as a panther, and wielding broad sword and shield.

6/29/2014 11:48 am  #8

I figured that much but apparently came out much more strongly than I thought I would. 

I can see how that can be seen as a shot on my part. Apologies! :D

6/29/2014 12:21 pm  #9

Benoist wrote:

I figured that much but apparently came out much more strongly than I thought I would. 

I can see how that can be seen as a shot on my part. Apologies! :D

No worries! I didn't read your reply like that at all, really.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.