I know some other person started in on project to do so, but I'm getting ready to embark on tossing Greyhawk into the Black Gulf.
The general ideas and guiding principles are listed below.
1) Use AS&SoH as the base rules, augmented with:
--exceptional STR for Fighters, per Supplement I: Greyhawk
--a handful of extra spells, magic items, and artifacts found in AD&D
2) Use AS&SoH creatures where possible
--Fishmen for Kuo Toa, etc...
3) Demi-humans have gotten even more xenophobic and distrustful of human folk. In addition, they are getting weirder and more sinister.
--Elves are more akin to Poul Anderson's elves from The Broken Sword
--Dwarves are craven grifters
--Halfling are untrustworthy thieves
--NO DEMI-HUMAN PCs
4) The shift into the Gulf is total. From the persepctive of the inhabitants, they've always been surrounded by the black gulf. As such, lots of things about history have been modifed.
--The Rain of Colorless fire and Invoked Devistation still happened, but differently. (Think a thousands of Black Dragons causing the Rain of Colorless fire....)
--Many races have been corrupted by the energies of the black gulf. I'm looking at you, Drow.
5) Greyhawk...which I'll be calling Blackhawk...is a relative new-comer to the black gulf. Therefore, there is somewhat less variance among the ecosystem that Hyperborea.
--S3 is in, but probably not much other tech
6) Populations in general, but especially demi-humans, are generally lower than canon Greyhawk.
--much is in ruins. I'm slapping B2 down into Greyhawk, but it's going to be the "Haunted Keep on the Borderlands", and in ruins.
--demi-humans are dying off
--really, the world in is a state of decay
7) Specific subclasses will be tied to regions/cultures.
--Illusionists and Necromancers will mostly hail from the East/Great Kingdom areas.
--Cryomancers are from the Barbarian tribes and the Land of Black Ice
--Pyromancers are from the West (Ket, etc..)
--Standard magicians are your "mid-lands" types: Furyondy, Greyhawk, etc..
8) Gods will be a mish mash of standard Greyhawk fare and AS&SoH sources.
9) I'll build out of the 1980 Folio edition of Greyhawk, and borrow from other sources if needed.
--Elements of the following modules are to be included: A1-4, B2, B4, X1, X2, C1, C2, G1-3, D1-3, WG4, WG5, S1, S2, S3, S4, Bottle City and other Kuntz modules, and probably others.
More to come!
Oh, I'm also thinking about tossing Newhon into the black gulf as well....
Last edited by francisca (5/06/2015 8:39 am)