photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg


Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2014 11:25 pm  #1


Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Hello all,

Our conversation about initiative and actions inspired me to make this sheet. 
Is this helpful? Is it correct? Is it complete?

http://www.mysticworks.com/Hyperborea/Combat-Actions.pdf

 

5/09/2014 1:05 am  #2


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Nice job. 

On a purely subjective/personal note, my only problem is that it's organized in way that's almost reversed to the way my brain works. My instinct is to look at all allowable phase one actions in one column and phase two in another. However, I suspect there are many people who prefer the way your sheet is laid out.

 

5/09/2014 7:31 am  #3


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Actually this becomes a teaching tool.  Once you've used this a few times it would become intuitive.  The master of all things excel stikes again!  Thanks!


"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,"
 

5/09/2014 8:50 am  #4


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Thanks, Maezar! I've already learned stuff--or been reminded I had forgotten stuff. You might not think I've had time to forget anything about AS&SH yet, but you would be wrong, my friends.

 

5/09/2014 9:01 am  #5


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Thanks all. Mabon, this is Illustrator. NAJones, I think what you're saying is that the left text should be left-aligned, with the line widget stretching. I'll check it out.

     Thread Starter
 

5/09/2014 9:07 am  #6


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

I like the sheet quite a bit and think it might help as a teaching tool/ reminder of how actions work.  I'll keeps copy on the table next session and see how it is received.
Thanks Maezar!


ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess
 

5/09/2014 10:08 am  #7


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

That's pretty cool! I like it. Thanks for posting, Maezar.


Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face
 

5/09/2014 10:19 am  #8


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

OK, so a question from one of my players:

"So you can attack 2x and half move in a 2/1 attack melee round but you can only attack 2x in a 2/1 attack missile round if you don't move? Doesn't it just reduce your rate of fire in phase two? 2/1 becomes 3/2 so the first round you fire and move half, then during the second round you could fire move half and fire again? Just making sure.

"Check the description for missile fire again.  It says "Phase Two: Missile shots fired following a 1/2 move (reduced ROF)". And under Missiles and Movement it describes what the reduced rates are (3/1=5/2, 5/2=2/1, 2/1=3/2, 3/2=1/1)."

Now, that does seem to me to make time a factor, which is definitely more complex than the way the sheet lays it out. In other words, if a 2/1 missile shooter is going to be taking half moves and firing across rounds, the ROF would drop to 3/2, according to the passage from the book--though this is only apparent if s/he performs the maneuver for more than one round. Right?

Also, the same player notes: "Also, are there some advanced combat moves that can alter the standard attack sequences?  Firing march, Ready shooter, Throw and attack, for example.  Maybe a second sheet with advanced combat moves? ... Advanced Combat is one of the things that makes AS&SH combat so much fun so I think it's worth making sure people know how to use it."

He left out recumbent fire, but trust me, he's itching to use it!

 

5/09/2014 7:55 pm  #9


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, so a question from one of my players:

"So you can attack 2x and half move in a 2/1 attack melee round but you can only attack 2x in a 2/1 attack missile round if you don't move? Doesn't it just reduce your rate of fire in phase two? 2/1 becomes 3/2 so the first round you fire and move half, then during the second round you could fire move half and fire again? Just making sure.

"Check the description for missile fire again.  It says "Phase Two: Missile shots fired following a 1/2 move (reduced ROF)". And under Missiles and Movement it describes what the reduced rates are (3/1=5/2, 5/2=2/1, 2/1=3/2, 3/2=1/1)."

Now, that does seem to me to make time a factor, which is definitely more complex than the way the sheet lays it out. In other words, if a 2/1 missile shooter is going to be taking half moves and firing across rounds, the ROF would drop to 3/2, according to the passage from the book--though this is only apparent if s/he performs the maneuver for more than one round. Right?

Yes. That's how I run it. Which in part reveals the logic of the smallest amount of attacks coming first when the rate is 5/2 or 3/2, or else players will learn to "game" the system.

Also, the same player notes: "Also, are there some advanced combat moves that can alter the standard attack sequences?  Firing march, Ready shooter, Throw and attack, for example.  Maybe a second sheet with advanced combat moves? ... Advanced Combat is one of the things that makes AS&SH combat so much fun so I think it's worth making sure people know how to use it."

He left out recumbent fire, but trust me, he's itching to use it!

I'm not sure if you're asking a general question here, Handy, or if you're just explaining his question and how you answered it. I'm thinking the latter. Sorry for the confusion...

As far as Advanced Combat goes in AS&SH, the experienced referee wil eventually learn to play with those adjustments and modifications, using them to resolve "off-the-grid" combat actions that the players might sometimes take. For example, you might have a player who says, "I really want to focus on defending with my sword, even if it means I don't get as many attacks in, or don't attack as well." So you, as referee, might simply explain the "Conservative Fighting" technique. Some players will never spend the time to look up all this stuff, and some referees will discourage players from sticking their noses in their books, so if you invite the players to be creative in what they do, or even offer a few "options" from time to time (when appropriate), I think the Advanced Actions can be an excellent resource.
 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

5/09/2014 11:56 pm  #10


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Also, the same player notes: "Also, are there some advanced combat moves that can alter the standard attack sequences?  Firing march, Ready shooter, Throw and attack, for example.  Maybe a second sheet with advanced combat moves? ... Advanced Combat is one of the things that makes AS&SH combat so much fun so I think it's worth making sure people know how to use it."

He left out recumbent fire, but trust me, he's itching to use it!

I'm not sure if you're asking a general question here, Handy, or if you're just explaining his question and how you answered it. I'm thinking the latter. Sorry for the confusion...

As far as Advanced Combat goes in AS&SH, the experienced referee wil eventually learn to play with those adjustments and modifications, using them to resolve "off-the-grid" combat actions that the players might sometimes take. For example, you might have a player who says, "I really want to focus on defending with my sword, even if it means I don't get as many attacks in, or don't attack as well." So you, as referee, might simply explain the "Conservative Fighting" technique. Some players will never spend the time to look up all this stuff, and some referees will discourage players from sticking their noses in their books, so if you invite the players to be creative in what they do, or even offer a few "options" from time to time (when appropriate), I think the Advanced Actions can be an excellent resource.
 

Heh. Actually, Jamie (Euthymios) was asking Maezar to make him a cheat sheet for the advanced combat moves because he thinks you did such a good job of coming up with them! Trust me, my players have been all over them looking for any advantage. It *might* lie (so to speak) in recumbent fire, it seems.

But, yes, as you say, I have been doing precisely that, reminding them of some maneuvers they might want to try when they forget. Alas, poor Nausa. He was a real devotee of the running dodge.
 

 

5/10/2014 7:05 pm  #11


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Is the info on the sheet correct then?

     Thread Starter
 

5/10/2014 8:00 pm  #12


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Maezar wrote:

Is the info on the sheet correct then?

I think so. I'm going to double-check it...
 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

5/13/2014 6:24 pm  #13


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Ghul, just wondering if you'd had any thoughts about the RoF and movement issue as it's expressed on Maezar's awesome sheet. Could it be dealt with, I wonder, by simply quoting or paraphrasing the note from the book? The contradiction on the sheet seems to be that you only reduce your RoF if you move first; if you fire your full complement, you can then move a half move--or you can fire less than your full complement and move and then fire the rest? Or am I confused, and in any round where one gets two shots (after the reduced RoF for movement), one can separate them as desired with/around movement?

 

5/13/2014 10:07 pm  #14


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Handy Haversack wrote:

The contradiction on the sheet seems to be that you only reduce your RoF if you move first; if you fire your full complement, you can then move a half move

 
Yes, let's clear this up.
If you fire on phase 1, can you move on phase 2?
 
 

     Thread Starter
 

5/14/2014 5:13 am  #15


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Maezar wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

The contradiction on the sheet seems to be that you only reduce your RoF if you move first; if you fire your full complement, you can then move a half move

 
Yes, let's clear this up.
If you fire on phase 1, can you move on phase 2?
 
 

If you move half, reduced ROF.
If you shoot and then move half, the shooting part is at reduced ROF; otherwise you're done for the round.
If you shoot your full complement, you're done for the round.

This should be clarified in the rules -- thank you.

 


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

5/14/2014 7:42 am  #16


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Ghul wrote:

If you shoot your full complement, you're done for the round.

 

This doesn't apply if your RoF is 1/1, right?

And just to be clear in my "brain," half-move movement and come before *or* after missile fire, but RoF is reduced either way and the action is declared at the beginning of the round.

I think it's fairly clear now that we've hashed it out. A sentence added to the MISSILES or Missiles and Movement section in the Deluxe Even Bigger Box Set Second Edition* would probably clear everything up.



*Now with More Dice and Whisky!
 

 

5/14/2014 8:18 am  #17


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

If you shoot your full complement, you're done for the round.

 

This doesn't apply if your RoF is 1/1, right?

And just to be clear in my "brain," half-move movement and come before *or* after missile fire, but RoF is reduced either way and the action is declared at the beginning of the round.

I think it's fairly clear now that we've hashed it out. A sentence added to the MISSILES or Missiles and Movement section in the Deluxe Even Bigger Box Set Second Edition* would probably clear everything up.



*Now with More Dice and Whisky!
 

Hi Handy,

1/1 ROF: fire and move 1/2; or move half and fire.

Dice and Whisky, indeed!


Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy
 

5/19/2014 9:42 pm  #18


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

OK, I believe the COMBAT ACTIONS sheet is now correct and up to date!

http://www.mysticworks.com/Hyperborea/Combat-Actions.pdf

     Thread Starter
 

5/19/2014 9:59 pm  #19


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Thanks, Maezar!

I'm running it by my players. The ultimate test.

 

5/20/2014 2:39 pm  #20


Re: Two-Phase Combat Actions Sheet

Thanks Maezar!


ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess
 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.