!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2024 8:17 am  #1

Combat actions

How do you guys handle PC’s or even enemy NPC’s/Monsters who critical miss and drop their weapon (Xathoqquas Woe)? Do you use an entire action for the next round to retrieve their weapon or only penalize movement in order to pick it up and still get a combat action minus the movement?

4/14/2024 9:39 am  #2

Re: Combat actions

It's an action for me.

I guess you can rule they can pick it up and do another action but I might rule they are at some disadvantage that round. Maybe -1 to hit by them and enemy combatants get a +1 to hit. They aren't paying attention to combat is my idea behind this.

What? Me worry?

4/14/2024 6:50 pm  #3

It's an action for me too: it's Xathoqqua's Woe for a reason...allowing a move to pick it up and then attack just doesn't seem woeful enough to me.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/15/2024 4:02 am  #4

Well, yes be spontaneous, GM with the facts.

Did the weapon fall at his feet, or 6 to 10 feet away. He needs to move to it (1 action) and pick it up from the ground (second action).

If at his feet: To retrieve a weapon makes him vulnerable, grant a penalty of -/+4 to AC or a bonus to his opponent's attack.

Reduce his Initiative, -2 to his 1d6 roll?

Perhaps reduce their use of their shield, etc.

4/16/2024 12:16 pm  #5

I would require a full round to retrieve the weapon. It's supposed to be a penalty.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/19/2024 11:08 pm  #6

Picking up the weapon would be on the subsequent round.  I rule that critical misses ruin all of your attacks in the case of multiple attacks in a round.

Would you use the whole action to pick up and ready the weapon and attack on a subsequent round, or just charge the PC movement cost to pick up and ready the weapon then attack with half or whole movement gone?

4/20/2024 4:58 am  #7

I'd probably give the player the option of cautiously retrieving their weapon (i.e., use their action to pick it up, and no AC penalty) or quickly retrieving it (Test of Dexterity, no AC penalty) in order to attack in that round. Fail the test, it's still on the ground and they can try again the next round. I suppose they could also decide to pick it up nonchalantly, in which case they'd be treated as stunned (+4 to-hit) or at best fleeing (+2 to-hit).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/20/2024 10:12 am  #8

rhialto wrote:

I'd probably give the player the option of cautiously retrieving their weapon (i.e., use their action to pick it up, and no AC penalty) or quickly retrieving it (Test of Dexterity, no AC penalty) in order to attack in that round. Fail the test, it's still on the ground and they can try again the next round. I suppose they could also decide to pick it up nonchalantly, in which case they'd be treated as stunned (+4 to-hit) or at best fleeing (+2 to-hit).

I like the test of dexterity idea! Adds some gravitas to the action and you get the attack on that subsequent round but if you fail you are kinda screwed again.  I believe I will implement that idea, thank you!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.