!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2023 12:36 pm  #1

House of Cthulhu - Brian Lumley

I’ve been very much enjoying Brian Lumley’s House of Cthulhu (Primal Land tales).  They seem to me to be a highly delicious slice of Sword and Sorcery in the vein of Clark Ashton Smith (though with a lot less of his wonderfully purple prose, but atmospherically written none the less).  I flag here because the tales seem to be very much in the vein of Hyperborea (sans the weird science) and are available on Amazon.  One thing to note, so far as I have got, the Cthulhoid aspect is more set dressing than taking a central theme or place, but lend the appropriate sense of ancient horrors lying in the shadows.

9/06/2023 4:45 am  #2

Re: House of Cthulhu - Brian Lumley

Thanks for the tip, I actually have one of these volumes, but haven't tried it yet: picked it up for a $1 at a used book store some while back, now will elevate it on the reading sequence.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/06/2023 10:17 am  #3

Thanks. I read some Lumley back in the 90s and enjoyed it, but never delved more into his work. Appreciate the tip.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/16/2023 7:25 am  #4

Just to add… for those of you who like to listen to audio books, the Audible version is fantastically read by Joshua Saxon; he gives the tales the appropriate doom and gravitas.

9/16/2023 11:37 am  #5

I looked, and I have Khai of Khem: it's now on the short list to try next.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/20/2024 3:47 pm  #6

All of the Tales Of The Primal land books by the late Brian Lumley are fun and avaliable on Audible as of my post. Fun Swords and sorcery adventure with a dash of cosmic horror.

Take a Ook Into A Book.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.