!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 9:24 am  #1

Sources of XP

I'm curious about how current ASSH GMs prefer to divide up different sources of XP.  ACKS suggests that 80% of characters' XP should come from treasure and 20% from defeating monsters.  Is a similar division common in ASSH or do you tend to move the balance to one side or the other?  And then there are the additional XP sources listed on Players' Manual 228 aside from monsters and treasure...

I would provide my own answer, but I haven't had a chance to actually run ASSH yet.  (But I have a one-shot scheduled for Saturday, which is what brought the question to mind.)

4/24/2014 9:43 am  #2

Re: Sources of XP

There are a variety of ways to earn xp in ASSH.  There is no preferred % from a given source in which xp should be awarded by the rules.  I believe the most xp will be earned by defeating monsters and earning loot.  The %'s would depend on how generous you are in handing out treasure.

I have always struggled with awarding xp.  In the early days I would track every single enemy and coin earned to come up with exact totals.  Nowadays I give a session xp total based on my gut as to how well everyone played and how clever they were.  I'm still tinkering but record keeping is not fun for me so I keep it simple.  Characters still earn bonus xp based on stats regardless.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/24/2014 10:25 am  #3

Over the years I've come to develop a general dislike for XP for monsters. If getting into fights is the best way to power, there is little incentive to search for other solutions. And I like games in which chosing to fight is generally a risk not to engage lightly.
XP for treasure is somewhat better, as it rewards achiving the actual goal of why PCs go into dangerous places in the first place. When the gameis about getting the treasure home, many more ways to deal with monters become useful options.

However, it still rewards the taking of treasure. Which is fine for a classic dungeon crawl, but doesn't seem to be that important in a campaign where money does not buy you a lot of actual benefits. Why bring home a load of treasure if it's all wasted next week and the armor you bought gets discarded while being lost in a desert? Again, you have a situation in which PCs are rewarded to do something that is not really in their personal interest.

What I am currently doing is to award a Progress Percentage to all PCs who have participated in this days session. Any time a character gets to 100%, he advances to the next level. Usually it's 20 to 25% depending on how much was achieved, with a 5% bonus for characters who contributed in an outstanding way. Characters of players who were not present for the session, are asumed to have been with yhe party, but never got into the spotlight, and only get 10% on their progress track.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/24/2014 11:24 am  #4

mabon5127 wrote:

The %'s would depend on how generous you are in handing out treasure.

Yes.  As I was typing the initial question, it was on my mind that I was asking, in a backhanded way, how generous others are with treasure.  Apparently I forgot to explicitly mention that detail.

mabon5127 wrote:

In the early days I would track every single enemy and coin earned to come up with exact totals.

Have you ever played Rolemaster?  It awards XP for just about everything a character does, with multipliers for whether it was that character's first time, second time, or if it had become routine.  When I finished running a session, I'd typically have 2-3 pages of all the things that would go into the evening's XP awards - not just every kill and coin, but every hit delivered or recieved (XP per point of damage or critical hit inflicted or received), every unusual combat maneuver (maneuver XP), every mile traveled (travel XP, at different rates depending on mode of transport)...  Simply tracking every single enemy or coin is nothing to me!

Yora wrote:

However, it still rewards the taking of treasure. Which is fine for a classic dungeon crawl, but doesn't seem to be that important in a campaign where money does not buy you a lot of actual benefits. Why bring home a load of treasure if it's all wasted next week and the armor you bought gets discarded while being lost in a desert?

Interesting.  I view these same details in exactly the opposite light:  Because the loot will be wasted before the next adventure, I feel more free to let the PCs find a priceless gem or mountains of gold, since I only need to weigh it as a source of XP and not worry about whether it will cause problems down the road for them to have access to immense wealth.

Yora wrote:

What I am currently doing is to award a Progress Percentage to all PCs who have participated in this days session. Any time a character gets to 100%, he advances to the next level. Usually it's 20 to 25% depending on how much was achieved, with a 5% bonus for characters who contributed in an outstanding way.

I don't particularly like that method because it flattens progress out too much.  Unless you re-weigh the progress percentages for each character individually (at which point you lose the simplicity of the system), a Thief (1500 XP for level 2) and a Warlock (3000 XP for level 2) will gain levels in unison and characters who fall behind in level will never be able to catch up.

4/24/2014 11:56 am  #5

I give experience for defeating monsters, (which is slightly different than killing monsters - although that seems to be the preferred method for my players) exploring & uncovering secrets and not just for treasure acquired, but also for gold spent (using the carousing rules and a custom upkeep list I whipped up) and then add in some bonuses for superior roleplay and general cleverness.

It's tough to say what the mix is, but I'd estimate enemies probably add up to 25-30%, 15-20% comes from exploration, with the rest coming from the booty they grab and then blow in town, plus maybe an extra 10% from purely roleplaying stuff - priests who gain converts, magicians who spend money on research, thieves who run cons, barbarians smashing idols, etc.

I'm still waiting for my players to figure out that if they capture that Orc chieftan, and instead of killing him (for example) hold him for ransom they'll get the "kill" XP and XP for the ransom amount. 

4/24/2014 12:39 pm  #6

I've yet to run a game but, as your question makes me think about it and based on the games I'm used to GM, I think that I would just estimate a basic XP amount for the scenario, according its difficulty, plus some extra sources (treasures, interactions with NPC or such) to reward the curiosity of the players. Stat bonus would still apply.

Also, I'd be curious to try one of those arbitrary system such as "gain a level every X scenarios", with a coefficient to keep classes leveling at different pace.

4/24/2014 2:15 pm  #7

Though thid probably is a topic by itself, why is advancement at different paces even desirable?

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/24/2014 2:37 pm  #8

Yora wrote:

Though thid probably is a topic by itself, why is advancement at different paces even desirable?

Some classes are inherently more powerful/advantaged than others. Staggering advancement is one way of making a bog standard fighter or thief (for example) a possibly more desirable choice for a player.

4/24/2014 2:41 pm  #9

AS&SH is very similar to 1st edition AD&D.  As best I can tell by eyeballing it, monsters are worth less XP and treasure is about the same, relative to AD&DAD&D characters already get the bulk of their XP from treasure (I would guess around 80%), and this should be even more true in AS&SH played "by the book".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/24/2014 2:59 pm  #10

I do it by the book, as demonstrated in Table III.27:

Slaying / Capturing Monsters = Variable per monster type
Gaining Treasure* = 1 XP per gp value (coins, gems, jewellery, etc.)
Clever Use of Ability = 25–50 XP
Problem Solving = 100–500 XP
Adventure / Campaign Goals = 500–1,000 XP
Attendance = 25–50 XP per hour

* Note that magical treasures have separate XP values

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/24/2014 3:01 pm  #11

In my opinion, XP for money and treasure was one of Gary's most brilliant design decisions: 1 XP for 1 GP, and a set amount for each monster.  All very cut and dried, nothing left to chance or DM whim, and best of all objective.  I am thoroughly unimpressed by alternative systems that substitute DM fiat and subjectivity - e.g., "roleplaying awards", DM judgment as to who "contributed" the most, reaching some point on the DM's railroad "plotline" - for Gary's simple, elegant, objective system.  Most alternative systems basically replace skill and cunning in battle and garnering treasure with sucking up to the DM.  No thanks!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/24/2014 3:09 pm  #12

Ghul wrote:

Personally I don't object to any of that if administered objectively (e.g., the key says "each PC gets 1000 xp if the party solves the riddle").  I'm very much opposed (for my part - other people can do whatever they want, of course) to anything that smacks of post hoc awards or DM fiat.  I basically never give XP awards that can't be justified by specific objective criteria decided in advance.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/24/2014 3:41 pm  #13

Blackadder23 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Personally I don't object to any of that if administered objectively (e.g., the key says "each PC gets 1000 xp if the party solves the riddle").  I'm very much opposed (for my part - other people can do whatever they want, of course) to anything that smacks of post hoc awards or DM fiat.  I basically never give XP awards that can't be justified by specific objective criteria decided in advance.

Can I ask Why?  I have a xp figure in mind for finishing a session and an adventure but if they do something thats so cool that it makes the game memorable I add some for that and let them know. 

While in my soul forever

4/24/2014 3:54 pm  #14

Blackadder23 wrote:

In my opinion, XP for money and treasure was one of Gary's most brilliant design decisions: 1 XP for 1 GP, and a set amount for each monster.  All very cut and dried, nothing left to chance or DM whim, and best of all objective.  I am thoroughly unimpressed by alternative systems that substitute DM fiat and subjectivity - e.g., "roleplaying awards", DM judgment as to who "contributed" the most, reaching some point on the DM's railroad "plotline" - for Gary's simple, elegant, objective system.  Most alternative systems basically replace skill and cunning in battle and garnering treasure with sucking up to the DM.  No thanks!

You must have had some suck-ass DM's because if I wanted to screw with you as one then xp reward would be pretty far down my list, and as a DM I'd have news for you sunshine, outside of your character's actions the whole world and all the people in it belong to me.

Gary was genius at some things but XP for gold and treasure was the lamest thing he ever came up with including the cartoon series. Gold and treasure are their own rewards and tying a game mechanic to them does nothing but rip the curtain aside to show off the limitations of the great and powerful Oz.

4/24/2014 3:56 pm  #15

mabon5127 wrote:

Can I ask Why?  I have a xp figure in mind for finishing a session and an adventure but if they do something thats so cool that it makes the game memorable I add some for that and let them know.

However you want to handle it is fine (obviously).  I personally prefer to be as "neutral" as possible.  To me it would be a breach of referee "neutrality" to reward the players for taking specific actions.  It would seem that I was trying to guide their behavior.  I'm very much opposed to that.  I don't (and in my opinion, shouldn't) care what they do.  They tell me what they do, and I tell them the outcome.  If the outcome includes treasure chests emptied and body bags filled, they get XP.  Simple.

I am very much anti-story and anti-railroad, so I probably take a much harder line than most DM's.  Even for a "story DM", it appears that most alternative systems are both less simple and less objective than "XP for blood and gold".  It seems like a disservicable trade to me.  But what do I know?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/24/2014 4:03 pm  #16

Blackadder23 wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

However you want to handle it is fine (obviously).  I personally prefer to be as "neutral" as possible.  To me it would be a breach of referee "neutrality" to reward the players for taking specific actions.  It would seem that I was trying to guide their behavior.  I'm very much opposed to that.  I don't (and in my opinion, shouldn't) care what they do.  They tell me what they do, and I tell them the outcome.  If the outcome includes treasure chests emptied and body bags filled, they get XP.  Simple.

I am very much anti-story and anti-railroad, so I probably take a much harder line than most DM's.  Even for a "story DM", it appears that most alternative systems are both less simple and less objective than "XP for blood and gold".  It seems like a disservicable trade to me.  But what do I know?

No harm no foul!  I am really interested in other theories.

While in my soul forever

4/24/2014 4:13 pm  #17

JasonZavoda wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

You must have had some suck-ass DM's because if I wanted to screw with you as one then xp reward would be pretty far down my list, and as a DM I'd have news for you sunshine, outside of your character's actions the whole world and all the people in it belong to me.

Gary was genius at some things but XP for gold and treasure was the lamest thing he ever came up with including the cartoon series. Gold and treasure are their own rewards and tying a game mechanic to them does nothing but rip the curtain aside to show off the limitations of the great and powerful Oz.

Tell us how you really feel!!
I may choose to use another system for experience but to say using blood and gp is lame as I stand on the shoulders of the giant that created it, for me, is hypocritical.  Especially since I used that very system for the first twenty years and then chose another.

While in my soul forever

4/24/2014 4:26 pm  #18

Blackadder23 wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Have you tried boardgames? I hear parcheese can be quite enjoyable, perhaps cards. Old Maid maybe?

Honestly, I know what you are talking about, but as long as a DM doesn't suck it doesn't matter if they are neutral. And storyline isn't a bad thing. Hell, even boardgames and video-games have story-lines. I hear they are even trying to add it to television shows but I think they should stick to well-crafted commercials myself with a judicious amount of gratuitous sex and violence, and maybe some sparkly bits so they can call it sci-fi. There is no objectivity and no one is neutral, and as long as my players 'think' that I'm being remotely fair they seem happy with the funny-voiced characters, evocative use of scenery and fortutous encounters with wandering strangers. Believe me story-line is not a bad thing and with the right DM you don't even feel the tracks when they want to railroad you. It is like it is all open range.

Nothing is simpler than making it up as you go along as long as you are drinking the right potion, smoking the right kind of pipe, eating the right kind of cookies or were just wired that way to begin with, but you can use crib notes. In general though keeping the players from seeing or becoming emeshed in the mechanics of the game opens up the dark and imaginatively inventive corners of their mind (as much as possible without a good whack with a sledgehammer) and allows them to get into the game, while even thinking up X number of GP gives them Y number of XP is more in line with balancing your check-up or doing your taxes. Unless you are already an accountent and then I can only suggest lion-taming as a cure.

4/24/2014 4:27 pm  #19

mabon5127 wrote:

JasonZavoda wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Tell us how you really feel!!
I may choose to use another system for experience but to say using blood and gp is lame as I stand on the shoulders of the giant that created it, for me, is hypocritical.  Especially since I used that very system for the first twenty years and then chose another.

Never be shy of hypocracy if it makes you feel better.

4/24/2014 5:13 pm  #20

Gold in D&D obviously represents a proxy for all the activities undertaken to gain it.  Instead of handing out dozens of little awards every time the thief picks a lock or the magician casts a  spell (activity that surely only an accountant could love), the DM makes one calculation one time that subsumes all of that activity.  That's why Gary's system is both simple and elegant, and all the bluster and unnecessary verbal abuse in the world won't change that fact.

But some folks just have to do things the hard way.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.