!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2014 11:39 pm  #1

Hyperkhthonios- the Worms of the Underearth

A little something I whipped up while at a union meeting today whilst the politicos were speechifying: obviously a rough concept and without any game stats.

Hyperkhthoneans are worm-like humaniods spawned by the dark God-monster Typhoneus. The Hyperkhthonios is a corruption of human form; degenerated and twisted and bereft of those very things that make humans differ from the meanest beasts. The hyperkhthonios has no eyes or ears, only ravenous maws. The creature hunts by detecting electrical impulses in the atmosphere- thus they need neither sight or scent, and thus, cannot be fooled by deceptions, camoflage, or illusions (although magics connected to electrical attacks such as lightning bolt spell, can incapacitate them for a time as it overwhelms their sense organs). Vast hordes of these creatures lurk beneath the earth until driven forth by hunger or dark magic. Hyperkhthoneans have bone-like chitinous 'claws' that grow out of their forearms that are used to incapacitate prey.

It should be stressed that the Hyperkhthonios possesses no intellect as such, only base animal instinct. Their is no inherent malice in their actions, but also no compassion, no mercy, no humanity. They are creatures driven solely by their need to eat and procreate. Unfortunately for female humans, Hyperkhthoneans cannot differentiate between the females of their species and those of humanity (indeed, if not 'in season' hyperkhthoneans will devour their own females and offspring should other prey become unavailable) and have been known to attempt to aggressively mate with such poor souls. Horrible indeed, is the fate of those who give birth to such hybrid abominations (indeed, rumors speak of such hybrids that possess cruel intelligences who are able to, by means, unknown, command the otherwise untamable hordes of hyperkhthoneans into concerted actions).

The hyperkhthonios never stops growing during its lifespan. Some truly cyclopean-sized specimens have been sighted over time. Sages speculate that a strong hyperkhthonean will grow larger and more ravenous over time, dominating larger and larger areas and eventually driving away other competitors. Eventually the creature will grow too cumbersome to effectively hunt and will starve to death. Dead or dying hyperkhthoneans will then become meals themselves for a pack of their smaller kind.

Notes: think Morlocks with wormy skin and shark-like teeth. I was inspired by reading about the eastern worm snake and theories that sharks hunt more by sensing electrical impulses in the water than sight or smell.

Last edited by Morty (4/12/2014 12:05 am)

A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your 

4/12/2014 12:07 am  #2

Re: Hyperkhthonios- the Worms of the Underearth

And moles? I get a definite mole sense! Sounds great. Can't wait to see the stats!

4/12/2014 7:49 pm  #3

You know what, I hadn't thought of moles at all, but that's a great idea! Thanks. They apparently have a venom that they can use to paralyze worms for later consumption.

Nature is pretty badass all on its own

A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your 

4/13/2014 5:58 pm  #4

Morty wrote:

Nature is pretty badass all on its own

Absolutely. I can watch a show on Discovery or the Science Channel and discover something absolutely terrifying in nature that trumps many of the horrors we conceive on our own.

Great thread! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.